iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Nov 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #12,242 of 13,503
Ibasso have just advised that they are not working on any new firmware for the DX100:rolleyes:

Well I hope that someone else is, didn't they say that they had released the API to some developer?

On a different subject, has anyone tried the Beyer's DT990 with the DX100? How does it do? I've been wanting to get those for some time and now I finally have the solvency, but having read some reviews I'm having my doubts.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #12,243 of 13,503
I replaced the battery on my DX100 a while back. It wasn't hard, just take your time. A few tabs may break but that doesn't cause any real problems and the case still closes up nice and tight. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #12,244 of 13,503
~~I'm tempted to get a DX100, I prefer it to other players because of the power output, and I don't want combo player/amp, but I'm scared when I read dozens of horror stories about the player. My question is for late buyers or owners with the latest updates, if all the bugs have been sorted, or still a problematic player ? Thanks

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #12,245 of 13,503
  ~~I'm tempted to get a DX100, I prefer it to other players because of the power output, and I don't want combo player/amp, but I'm scared when I read dozens of horror stories about the player. My question is for late buyers or owners with the latest updates, if all the bugs have been sorted, or still a problematic player ? Thanks

I don't know if I qualify as a late buyer.  But here's my experience over the 1.5 years of owning it.  I actually went through the entire rooting process to remove some extra stuff that's not needed (see faq) in hopes of running some apps with it like MOG etc.....Bottom line, didn't make much a difference other than having a clean launcher (MOG is mostly unusable).  But here are my impressions.....keep in mind all I do with the player is hit music player when it starts up and play music/build playlists (I shut off everything else and don't use it, wifi, BT, etc)......it freezes from time to time (maybe once every couple months) on operations like playing or switching albums etc.....but nothing a reboot wouldn't fix.  99% of the time it's a dream to use just as a music player (it's my workplace rig, DX100->O2->HD650).
Couple of months back, it wouldn't start no matter what I did.  So I had to send it back to iBasso.  They sent the player back to me within 1.5 weeks fully working and told me a capacitor came loose.  Ever since then, it's been perfect again (minus the small rare freezes).
Very quality product IMO.

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #12,246 of 13,503
Thanks, and for my part I'll be using it only as music player and nothing else. Freezing once a month  is no biggie, it happens with my Ipod every while. I was worried with things like " can't see music on internal memory when inserting Micro SD card", and other stuff. So from your side no other issues ?

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #12,247 of 13,503
  Thanks, and for my part I'll be using it only as music player and nothing else. Freezing once a month  is no biggie, it happens with my Ipod every while. I was worried with things like " can't see music on internal memory when inserting Micro SD card", and other stuff. So from your side no other issues ?

Nothing like what you've mentioned nope.  Sees the internal 64gb and my sandisk 64gb microSD just fine.  I think if you stick to using it just to play music simply (properly/clean tags) you won't have any issues.

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #12,248 of 13,503
+1 I have a similar experience to sensui123. The occasional glitch, but the sound, oh, the sound this thing puts out...! :atsmile:

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #12,251 of 13,503
Knock on wood, I've had no problems with FW 1.2.7 since it came out.  I don't get fancy...music playback only, and I give it time to startup and do it's thing.  Occasional sluggish GUI that normally passes in a few minutes.  I mostly let it fly along on shuffle...and I've never had a lockup or had to reboot.

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #12,252 of 13,503

I own a DX100, DX50, and RWAK100. My DX100 is still my favorite piece out of them all.

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #12,253 of 13,503
For the last few months I have been using it with Poweramp, which works flawlessly, but the sound is not the same. So a couple of days ago I tried to use the stock player and found it only recognized about 5% of my music, all of which is in the sd card. I tried turning it off and on several times and yesterday I did a factory reset but nothing has changed, it still only sees the same albums.
Any suggestions would be apreciated!!
Different subject: has anyone tried it with the beyerdynamic DT990? I've been wanting to try those for some time. Or what other headphone would you recomend with prices up to $0500? I'm mainly looking for great soundstage.

Thanks!!

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #12,254 of 13,503
  For the last few months I have been using it with Poweramp, which works flawlessly, but the sound is not the same. So a couple of days ago I tried to use the stock player and found it only recognized about 5% of my music, all of which is in the sd card. I tried turning it off and on several times and yesterday I did a factory reset but nothing has changed, it still only sees the same albums.
Any suggestions would be apreciated!!
Different subject: has anyone tried it with the beyerdynamic DT990? I've been wanting to try those for some time. Or what other headphone would you recomend with prices up to $0500? I'm mainly looking for great soundstage.

Thanks!!

About album/artist recognition, look up mp3 tag from post #1 of this thread :-

http://www.head-fi.org/a/ibasso-dx100-faq

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #12,255 of 13,503
I was also one of the first adopters and went through the numerous firmware updates. 
I've rooted mine and installed a task killer to end all the pointless apps that run, when the screen turns off.
I normally have over 100GB of FLACs on the unit at any time. All my music tags are sorted and I only ever play music via Directory or the Albums menu.
The player freezes very occasionally now - once in the last 2months - easily fixed with a paperclip.

Bootup normally takes about 20\30 seconds - so I tend to turn the player on and then put my earphones in...which by the time that's done, the player is ready to play. Even if I am ready before the player, its not the end of the world...I can wait a few more seconds.

I use it as my only player now - I commute with it and when I get into the office I plug the power in and then play it all day.
Its been well used over the last few years and its got the battle scars to prove it - but its still going strong.

I have had a number of players over the years and nothing compares to the DX100. I have the DX50 too, but the sound doesn't quite live up to the DX100 (close but not quite there for me).

If I could make any changes to the DX100, it would be battery life and shrink it down the to size of the DX50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back