[size=10.0pt]- Asynchronous USB transfer[/size]
- WM8740 DAC chip

- Up to 24Bit/192K coaxial output
- RCA output and Line out.
- Built-in +/- 5V class A headphone amplfiier that run off of USB power
- Full aluminum case
- Measures 60W*93L*22H (mm), and weights 108g

[size=12.0pt]Audioengine D1[/size]

DAC type:Dual Mode USB and Optical (SPDIF)Inputs:USB/Optical (SPDIF)Outputs:RCA stereo/3.5mm headphoneD/A converter:AKM4396Optical receiver:CS8416USB controller:TI1020BUSB:Type 1.1 or aboveFull-scale output:2.0V RMS (RCA and Headphone)Output impedance:47 ohms RCA, 10 ohms headphonePower source:USB 5VPower requirements:200mAUSB power filtering:2-stage redundant regulationSNR:>110dbTHD+N:<0.002%Crosstalk:<-85dbFrequency response:10Hz - 25KHz +/- 0.5dbInput bit depth:up to 24 bitsInput data rate:up to 192KS/s (optical), 96KS/s (USB)Product dimensions:3.5x4x1"Shipping weight:1.0lbs (0.5kg)

what is the best BUY?

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 29
I'm looking at these two as well.  I've read a couple review threads on each individual one, but am still trying to assess how they compare.  I'm just looking for a portable (as in laptop/bag portable, not media player/pocket portable) to use with my MacBook Air that would be a decent upgrade from the Fiio E10, which is OK for the price, but is still a little muddled to me.

I'm particularly trying to see which one has a blacker background, is more neutral, and how the soundstages compare to each other, and/or how either compares to the E10 if anyone happens to have one of these and the E10.  I've seen people mention the D7's being somewhat neutral and with good soundstage, but in a more general sense than a comparative sense.

In terms of features, from what I'm reading/seeing, the D1 doesn't appear to have a gain switch, while the D7 does.  The D1 has an optical input, although that doesn't matter to me since the MacBook Air doesn't have the analog/optical combo output that the MacBook Pro has--it is purely analog on the MBA, so I'd only be using USB anyway.  Looks like the D7 is a bit smaller in size, although the weight is trickier, since the AE website lists the D1's weight (~500g) as "shipping weight", so it's hard to properly compare vs the D7 (108g).

In comparing the review threads for each here, I'm seeing more people with technical issues with the AE D1--a couple people having to workout "popping" noise from power interference (I think they all managed to fix everything in the end, but it still seems overly sensitive to begin with) and a couple mentions about non-linear volume "jumps" at lower levels--but I'm just going by what I read here.  Maybe someone with more experience with them knows more here...

Right now I'm using Beyer dt880 & dt990--both 250ohms.  The dt990's already have more than enough color for me (although I only use them about 1/4 of the time) which is why I want something neutral.  I also keep looking at the JDSLabs O2 and C421 amps, but since I don't want to get into daisy chaining separate DACs and amps in a "portable" solution, I'm not sure how much quality I'd lose running those straight from the MBA's (mid-2011) headphone port, so I'm still leaning towards another DAC/amp combo for under $200.

Thanks!

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 29
I haven't heard the Audioengine D1 but I can say that the Ibasso D7 has a really good soundstage and good detail too(I noticed some coughing in the begining of Taxman and You won't see me with The Beatles and some other details in REM New adventures in Hi-fi)
Actually I don't think I will upgrade my headphone setup with the D7 and modded Fostex T50rp before I have gotten myself some new speakers and amp use in my office, which is also my main listening room.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 29

Quote:
I haven't heard the Audioengine D1 but I can say that the Ibasso D7 has a really good soundstage and good detail too(I noticed some coughing in the begining of Taxman and You won't see me with The Beatles and some other details in REM New adventures in Hi-fi)
Actually I don't think I will upgrade my headphone setup with the D7 and modded Fostex T50rp before I have gotten myself some new speakers and amp use in my office, which is also my main listening room.

I actually decided to go with the D7, and ordered one Sun evening.  Although, I still haven't received any correspondence from them (now mid-day, Tue).  I saw on their website that they were closed for a week or so for their New Years, which means my order was on the first day back after this, so maybe there is some backlog of work or something, but I'm not sure if this delay is normal to with them.  After ordering, how long was it before you received a shipping (or any) notice from Ibasso?

My PayPal account has the transaction as "completed".  Although Ibasso's website was somewhat flakey--I had to go through the order twice because the device disappeared from my shopping cart on the confirmation page the first time--not sure if because of a timeout while typing my address info or because I was using Chrome.  The second time I switched to Firefox and didn't have the same issue, but now I'm a bit worried whether the order went through OK...

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 29

Quote:
I actually decided to go with the D7, and ordered one Sun evening.  Although, I still haven't received any correspondence from them (now mid-day, Tue).  I saw on their website that they were closed for a week or so for their New Years, which means my order was on the first day back after this, so maybe there is some backlog of work or something, but I'm not sure if this delay is normal to with them.  After ordering, how long was it before you received a shipping (or any) notice from Ibasso?

My PayPal account has the transaction as "completed".  Although Ibasso's website was somewhat flakey--I had to go through the order twice because the device disappeared from my shopping cart on the confirmation page the first time--not sure if because of a timeout while typing my address info or because I was using Chrome.  The second time I switched to Firefox and didn't have the same issue, but now I'm a bit worried whether the order went through OK...

OK--a bit funny.  To the very second, just as I hit the "submit" button here on my last message, my email indicator goes off, with an email from Ibasso that my order has shipped!  Hopefully will be here on Thu.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 29
I was looking at these two as well and was wondering which is the best in this price range sub-$250, very knew to this whole portable thing

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #8 of 29
I'm pretty much in the same boat.  I wish the d7 had a wall adapter option, but it still seems like a nice value overall.

Should we throw the HUD-MX1 into the mix?

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #10 of 29
[size=9pt]I am disappointed at the iBasso D7 the analogue output has no volume regulation.[/size]
[size=9pt]so i can not connected to my active monitor loudspeakers.[/size]
[size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt]has the Audioengine D1 [size=x-small]analogue output volume regulation????????[/size][/size]

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #11 of 29

Quote:
[size=9pt]I am disappointed at the iBasso D7 the analogue output has no volume regulation.[/size]
[size=9pt][/size]
[size=9pt]has the Audioengine D1 [size=x-small]analogue output volume regulation????????[/size][/size]

Don't your active monitor has its own volume control?

The RCA output on the D7 is at line-level and is suitable for almost all circumstances except to connect it directly to a power amp.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:
melis123 said:

[size=9pt]has the Audioengine D1 [size=small]analogue output volume regulation????????[/size][/size]

Don't your active monitor has its own volume control? NO

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #14 of 29
Also very interested in this discussion - anyone have any thoughts on these? A bonus if you have one as well regarding the Audinst HUD-MX1 :)

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #15 of 29
Bumpity bump im also interested in this, for next month, that is.

Well i need a optical input, so i think it will either be the d12 or the Nuforce uDac2 for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back