iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Mar 11, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #347 of 774
On second thought I would NOT use the XP battery device with the D6.  The D6 charger has circuitry that prevents overcharging, etc.   Using a different type of AC adapter would likely cause damage to the lithium battery and would probably not be covered under warranty. 

iBasso specifically warns against using chargers other than the included one.  Sorry for my hasty answer without first completely reviewing in detail the XP charger.  

Quote:

Thanks Ron!

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #348 of 774

Quote:
On second thought I would NOT use the XP battery device with the D6.  The D6 charger has circuitry that prevents overcharging, etc.   Using a different type of AC adapter would likely cause damage to the lithium battery and would probably not be covered under warranty. 

iBasso specifically warns against using chargers other than the included one.  Sorry for my hasty answer without first completely reviewing in detail the XP charger.  

Thanks. I saw the warning about the charger, but since I travel a lot I would still want to try and maybe use such a device to power the amp through USB if charging it is out of the question. I have to check first, if I can finda tip that will fit the unit.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #349 of 774
The charging section for the D6 is in the charger. If you use an external AC to DC device you will ruin the amp and very possibly overcharge the batteries which in extreme conditions could cause them to blow up due to heat build up and expansion. 

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #350 of 774

Quote:
The charging section for the D6 is in the charger. If you use an external AC to DC device you will ruin the amp and very possibly overcharge the batteries which in extreme conditions could cause them to blow up due to heat build up and expansion. 

I know about the charging thing now. I am trying to see if I can use USB power to power the amp in case I run out of power and I cannot carry the charger in my backpack. My trips usually last 24-36 hours and I am trying to limit the amount of things I carry as after some time the backpack gets heavier and heavier on my back. Carrying the clumsy D6 charger is out of the questions. I would however, be happy to use an external power source with USB output and try to power the amp this way. I will test it tonight.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #351 of 774
Maybe a good alternative would be to pick up a D4.   Having a couple of spare 9v batteries on hand solves your travel dilemma very nicely.   You can get a used D4 for not much more than one of those chargers.

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #353 of 774
My D4 is my daily workhorse with my computer USB output.   I, for one, like the quickly replaceable 9v battery.   I mostly use my D6 for opamp testing, as it is easy to open up for rolling. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #354 of 774
Tried my D6 set to USB power with a portable battery pack and it worked perfectly fine. Now I know that if I have a long journey ahead I do not have to worry about power.

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #356 of 774

Quote:
I borrowed a pair of very new, not broken in 600-ohm DT-880's and tried them with my D6.  If I didn't know it before, I know it now:  The 600-ohm cans are much harder to drive than the HD600 
rolleyes.gif
   I can get them to the same volume level that I use with my HD600's but in high gain I've got the D6 cranked to almost 3pm on the pot.  Setting the volume to max yields much distortion, so not recommended!  Duh!

I've got 100+ hours on the D6 and I believe the DT's have no more than 10.  Now, I don't know the sound signature of the DT-880 (except for what I've read on HF), and it's quite new, but boy are they bright with the D6 at this stage.  I won't get much more of an impression as I won't have these phones for much longer.  Perhaps I'll give it another go after the 880's get a lot more hours.  I can't say I would never try to drive these phones with the D6 but the 250-ohm likely makes a better pairing.  Haven't tried that though.

Hmm, when I used my DT990/600 with the D6... gain was on high and volume was maxed, and it did not distort the Beyers @all. That's what suprised me greatly about the D6,
That was with the AD797B's, but stock wasn't that different for max volume output.

With HD600's, gain on high... loud listening volume is @2:00-3:00, turning volume to Max... there is No distortion either... but it's bloody loud!  The D6 has Big Brass B*lls!  :)
I'm actually suprised how hard the HD600's are to drive, they take maybe 80% of the volume of my DT990/600.  @300 Ohms I thought you know... 1/2 as easy to drive... lol

P.S. were you using Battery/Charger when driving the Beyers?

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #357 of 774

Quote:

Thanks!

Yes, Stepdance is indeed a great amp. I bought D6 because I was mainly after a DAC for my laptop and thus decided to buy a good amp at the same time, and one that would not break the bank - buying Beyers T5s and the Stepdance was a big thing, so I am trying to take it easy (right, waiting for Brainwavz M3 and now thinking about Sony EX1000
eek.gif
).

I really thought that after buying D6 I would buy an upgrade kit that would make it a bit more mellow and warmish sounding, but from the first few hours of listening I do not think  Iwill be doing that anymore. It seems that I got used to the detailed and transparent sound of my T5s with the Stepdance and now prefer this kind of sound. So the only option seems to be to purchase the HF TopKit adjusted to my liking and make this amp as close to Stepdance's performance as possible with the added DAC feature and more portabiity in this form. 

I would also love to know whether anyone tried to use a portable charger with D6, one like Energizer XP8000 (Stepdance users ot it workin with no soldering or anything) and then this would be a dream portable amp.

Tesla T5's, Stepdance, D6.... you're the Travelmeister!  Like momma always said.. If your going to travel, travel in Style. :)   I like your taste too EX1000's! *sigh* can't afford that taste tho.
Will be interesting what Topkit you're getting, be sure to post your impressions. I found the OPA1611class-A a little bright for my taste, but maybe a better match for yours.

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #358 of 774

Quote:
Tesla T5's, Stepdance, D6.... you're the Travelmeister!  Like momma always said.. If your going to travel, travel in Style. :)   I like your taste too EX1000's! *sigh* can't afford that taste tho.
Will be interesting what Topkit you're getting, be sure to post your impressions. I found the OPA1611class-A a little bright for my taste, but maybe a better match for yours.

I am still thinking about TopKit and will probably end up just taking HF's recommendations for my taste. I want tdetails and transparency which might mean that it will be a bit bright, but heck, I LOVE transparency, even if it means a bit of brightness.

P.S. True, I am the Travelmaster. Last time in order to get from home to work my travel schedule was:

Warsaw, WAW Poland by plane to Paris, CDG France by plane to London LHR, England by plane to Dubai DXB, UAE > A city in Asia A> A city in Asia B.

Some of these flights were standards ones, on some I got Business Class, one flight on an Airbus A380 and one was where seats were like fabric garden chairs attached along the walls :wink:

I spent 5 hours in Paris, 2 hours in London, 5 hours in Dubai, a night in The city in Asia A. All that just to get to work, where I will stay for around 3 months and then go back home to stay for 3 weeks and again off to work I fly :wink:

I started the journey on Friday morning (UTC) and on Sunday morning (UTC)I was there. I had one night stop over where I could get some sleep in Asia.

How am I supposed to spend all this transit time? Listening to music is the best option :)

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #359 of 774
As long as you don't miss your flight, like I almost did. Music is a beautiful way to have it though. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #360 of 774
So... has anyone experienced what I am assuming to be channel imbalance?

It's just a slightly boosted right side. I've tried everything... I don't know what to do. I've checked that it's not my source or phones too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back