iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Mar 6, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #316 of 774
Has anyone tried this amp with 600 ohm Beyers?

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #317 of 774
The spec calls for headphones up to 300 ohms, so I would guess that the 600 are too much, I asked the same question because I have the D6, However I just purchased some DT770/80's this weekend and they run fine on the amp, I am returning them though for the 250 non pro versions. I listened to the 880 250 ohm in the store with my amp and they sounded very good, too bad I require a closed set of cans for the office.... 

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #318 of 774
Mine should be with me veeery soon, happy me. 

The only gripe I would have with it is that it does not accept an external power source.

Can it be powered from USB when not used in DAC mode?

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #319 of 774
The D6 can, indeed, be powered by the USB cable when using the Aux input.   It also comes with a 12.6 AC adapter that you can use for desktop power if USB is not available as well as for charging.  This is so stated in the User manual. 

Quite a versatile instrument. 

Quote:
Mine should be with me veeery soon, happy me. 

The only gripe I would have with it is that it does not accept an external power source.

Can it be powered from USB when not used in DAC mode?

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #320 of 774
I'm just curious, has anyone tried the ibasso amps with the JH 16-pro's? I'm looking for an amp in the $200-300 price range, and the d6 is high on my list due to it's ability for 24/96 over USB. Will I need to set the impedance lower for this amp to use with my JH's?

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #321 of 774

Quote:
The D6 can, indeed, be powered by the USB cable when using the Aux input.   It also comes with a 12.6 AC adapter that you can use for desktop power if USB is not available as well as for charging.  This is so stated in the User manual. 

Quite a versatile instrument. 

I hope that will be true. The manual says:

-Powered by 12.6V Li-polymer rechargeable battery pack,
or USB power

But since I cannot test I will hope you are right as that would be what I want - if it is not, I will ive with it.

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #322 of 774
HiFlight is correct (and is very knowledgeable about this product, by the way). You can power the D6 via USB while listening through the AUX port -- I'm doing it right now just to make sure. And of course, can be powered via the 12.6v adapter/battery.

Quote:

I hope that will be true. The manual says:

-Powered by 12.6V Li-polymer rechargeable battery pack,
or USB power

But since I cannot test I will hope you are right as that would be what I want - if it is not, I will ive with it.

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #323 of 774

Quote:
HiFlight is correct (and is very knowledgeable about this product, by the way). You can power the D6 via USB while listening through the AUX port -- I'm doing it right now just to make sure. And of course, can be powered via the 12.6v adapter/battery.

HF is an expert here for sure.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #324 of 774

I agree that the AD797B's have a very full, rich sound with nice tight bass. It also has an amazing soundstage, wide, deep, intimate... as necessary.
But! you have to @least use dummy buffers... or the great soundstage will be very wierdly narrowed/congested by the stock buffers.
My latest combo is 797BR's for buffs and 797B's for Center, the sound is seriously to-die-for. Richer more impactful sound than with dummy buffers.
Quite possibly better than the impressive OPA627AU in L/R w/Stock buffers combo, I don't know... I haven't had the urge to roll-back to that combo yet. :)

@Palpatine:
I felt that my DT990/600's were driven quite Well with the D6, and sounded great with the AD797B's. If this means anything, I prefered my D6 to a Millet Hybrid MiniMax for driving my Beyers.
Sadly they're down for a driver replacement, I'll re-cable them too.. so, I won't be able to test with them for awhile. 

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #325 of 774
I did a double-take when I saw the what appears to be a single AD797 in the L/R socket, but quickly surmised that you are using a stacked 2 to 1 adapter!  

Yes, the AD797 is a very impressive opamp.   It is, however, operating at the very bottom edge of its supply voltage range when selecting USB as the power source.  Not usually a problem with IEMs or sensitive phones, but with hard-to-drive phones, they will likely clip at a fairly low volume level.  I do prefer them over the OPA627/637.

Quote:

I agree that the AD797B's have a very full, rich sound with nice tight bass. It also has an amazing soundstage, wide, deep, intimate... as necessary.
But! you have to @least use dummy buffers... or the great soundstage will be very wierdly narrowed/congested by the stock buffers.
My latest combo is 797BR's for buffs and 797B's for Center, the sound is seriously to-die-for. Richer more impactful sound than with dummy buffers.
Quite possibly better than the impressive OPA627AU in L/R w/Stock buffers combo, I don't know... I haven't had the urge to roll-back to that combo yet. :)

@Palpatine:
I felt that my DT990/600's were driven quite Well with the D6, and sounded great with the AD797B's. If this means anything, I prefered my D6 to a Millet Hybrid MiniMax for driving my Beyers.
Sadly they're down for a driver replacement, I'll re-cable them too.. so, I won't be able to test with them for awhile. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #326 of 774
(heheh yeah, it's not readily apparent, but all three 797B modules are of 2 to 1 adapters) 

Agreed HiFlight, with some high-end op-amps... USB power alone is not sufficient. For that caveat, It's a very small price to pay for the "Scrumptious" SQ bestowed upon said device.
(If travelling, 11.6v? battery power should be quite sufficient until re-charging is necessary)

I also use a Gamma1 DAC that can be run off USB power, but I choose to use a dedicated wallwart with that too. The PC/USB is crappy/dirty/contentious place for 5v power and Audio signals.

For power, use "dedicated" when possible, especially with your @HOME setup. There then should be no reason to "need" the convenience of USB power alone.

Some things to think about if you're in the "i only uses teh USB juice" crowd.  :)

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #327 of 774
Ugh, you make my mouth water everytime you describe the 797s! I'll probably order some pretty soon and compare them to the THS4031/2s.
Speaking of which, the THS403x runs really well on USB power. I can't actually tell the difference when it's running on battery power. Sounds superb either way. And it's only .5v less than the 797 (minimum of 4.5v instead of 5). Why would .5v make such a difference? Am I missing something about this inefficiency of using USB power?

Quote:
(heheh yeah, it's not readily apparent, but all three 797B modules are of 2 to 1 adapters) 

Agreed HiFlight, with some high-end op-amps... USB power alone is not sufficient. For that caveat, It's a very small price to pay for the "Scrumptious" SQ bestowed upon said device.
(If travelling, 11.6v? battery power should be quite sufficient until re-charging is necessary)

I also use a Gamma1 DAC that can be run off USB power, but I choose to use a dedicated wallwart with that too. The PC/USB is crappy/dirty/contentious place for 5v power and Audio signals.

For power, use "dedicated" when possible, especially with your @HOME setup. There then should be no reason to "need" the convenience of USB power alone.

Some things to think about if you're in the "i only uses teh USB juice" crowd.  :)

Mar 9, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #328 of 774
Hey guys how does the D6 stack up against the D4?
I recently just purchased the D4 (still not here yet... i don't even think Ibasso shipped it yet -,-)
I just realized that the D6 came out... is it worth it to cancel my D4 purchase and get the D6? I hear that the D4 is a decent capable amp... I wonder if the difference is worth paying the extra 75 dollars.

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #329 of 774
I have the D6 and its pretty impressive. The internal battery is what sold it for me. I use this amp at work so I just charge the thing at home and it lasts all day (I listen at least 8 hrs and it seems like there is plenty of juice left). I am currently running a pair of DT770 PRO 80 ohm's and its at about half to 1/3 volume. I plan on using a pair of 250 ohm beyers with it which should be here tomorrow. If you have the chance I would say do it, Why wonder what if for an extra 75 bucks?

From the specs it looks like the D6 has more power than the D4, 650mW into 32 ohms compared to 230mW into 32 ohms.

Keep in mind however that this is my first amp, and I have not listened to the D4 or anything else for that matter, But I would highly recommend this amp to anyone who is going to be using it in the same application as me (Portable/Transportable Rig) I am more than happy with the performance I have been getting out of it.

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #330 of 774
The biggest difference between the D4 and D6 is that the D6 has the newer case style that makes rolling opamps much easier.   Also the internal lithium rechargeable battery has a about 3v more than the 9v replaceable cell in the D4. 

I do not find much difference in SQ between the 2 if the same opamps are used in each.  Is there $75 worth of difference between them?   Depends on whether you prefer the total portability of the replaceable 9v alkaline cell of the D4 vs the need to find a recharging source for the D6. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back