iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Jan 7, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #61 of 774

Quote:
The D12, IMO is excellent and a wonderful performer. The advantage the D6 has is a USB dac that does 24/96 and for heavier demands, over twice the voltage swing. The optical input of the D12 though does a great job but USB to USB it is 16/48 to 24/96, and 24/96 even brings out more in 16/48 recordings. 

Thanks John. I'm sold. Will prebook an iBasso D6 from my retailer soon (heck it takes 1~2 hours of traveling time for me to get to their place, might as well ask them to courier it over.. Haha). *anticipating in excitement*

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #62 of 774
to be honest, I'm sort of getting ibasso fatigue, with all these incremental upgrades, d1, d10, d4, d12, d6 etc. 
I want to see them put their effort in a more reference style product with some high grade and new innovation, or the very least come out with their desktop amp...
this is not to say what they are coming out with is not nice or anything.. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #63 of 774
since there are so many products, the web site is so confusing [for noobs like me, of course]. Same for RSA. There are so many amps out there you just can't figure out which one to buy as per your needs.
If they can make a simple wizard that asks users what their headphones are, what their source/ transport is going to be - and then recommend 2-3 products, I think it would be really helpful.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #64 of 774

Quote:
since there are so many products, the web site is so confusing [for noobs like me, of course]. Same for RSA. There are so many amps out there you just can't figure out which one to buy as per your needs.
If they can make a simple wizard that asks users what their headphones are, what their source/ transport is going to be - and then recommend 2-3 products, I think it would be really helpful.

the problem with a wizard is that usually peoples hp collection is rather quite varied.. as an example looking at your sig, if you put down hd650 and tf10, its difficult to advice an amp for both since each is for different use. sure there are some that can run both, but you will have to forgo other advantages like smaller size, efficient rather than powerful amps, that would go with the original purpose of the tf10..

as for rays amps, at least in Rays case you have some variation and each amp has its unique quality, example the hornet could run for 200hrs, shadow had digital volume implementation, mustang was the size of a matchbox, 71A gave gobs of power SE and still considered by many as a reference portable amp etc. 
I just cant see much variation in ibasso line, though granted most are an incremental improvement of their previous model (ibasso D1, D10, D22 etc).... 

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #67 of 774
You can use the Topkit LR modules from the D12, P4 and D4 but the D12 Topkit buffers cannot be used in the D6 or upcoming PB2. I will likely be posting some buffer recommendations once I have done further testing.  The P4 buffers cannot be used as they are single-channel instead of dual-channel.
Ron

Quote:
Ron, if I have the Topkit for D4, D12 and Supplement Kit for P4 do I still need to purchase the D6 Topkit?

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #68 of 774

Quote:
to be honest, I'm sort of getting ibasso fatigue, with all these incremental upgrades, d1, d10, d4, d12, d6 etc. 
I want to see them put their effort in a more reference style product with some high grade and new innovation, or the very least come out with their desktop amp...

I havent heard the recent arrivals, but if the fanfare which has accompanied them is ANY indication, we arent talking 'incremental' changes, at least not in power terms. I am as skeptical as anyone on this board, possibly more so when it comes to cheap portable amps from China, but surely its good to have a choice.  I still pore over the specs for the Pico and the SR71B, and I have been telling myself to buy the Stepdance for about 3 months now, but iBasso's pricing really puts the kid in the middle of that candy store. I am possibly the last D4 owner to order a Topkit, but that amp has crept up on me over a considerable period, leading me to ask 'If iBasso could do this in 2009, what have they bought to the table in the months since ?'. Like many here, I now have to make the choice between getting another portable and buying a fullsize amp, but I've spent enough time on the road to know that a good portable amp is worth every penny.

Few of us want to end up with a drawer full of discarded portable amps, but at least it wont be a drawer full of amps that cost $400 each :)

(Personally, I think the high end is getting somewhat crowded already - Luxman, Woo Audio, Rudistor, GS-X : do iBasso really want to put themselves in the middle of that lot ?)

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #69 of 774
Why not in the middle of "that" lot. :^)

Besides, portable amps normally sell well and it isn't like the sound they produced and many enjoyed is any less. So someone gets a savings, you sell it and move on or up. Seems ok to me. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #70 of 774

Quote:
Quote:

I havent heard the recent arrivals, but if the fanfare which has accompanied them is ANY indication, we arent talking 'incremental' changes, at least not in power terms. I am as skeptical as anyone on this board, possibly more so when it comes to cheap portable amps from China, but surely its good to have a choice.  I still pore over the specs for the Pico and the SR71B, and I have been telling myself to buy the Stepdance for about 3 months now, but iBasso's pricing really puts the kid in the middle of that candy store. I am possibly the last D4 owner to order a Topkit, but that amp has crept up on me over a considerable period, leading me to ask 'If iBasso could do this in 2009, what have they bought to the table in the months since ?'. Like many here, I now have to make the choice between getting another portable and buying a fullsize amp, but I've spent enough time on the road to know that a good portable amp is worth every penny.

Few of us want to end up with a drawer full of discarded portable amps, but at least it wont be a drawer full of amps that cost $400 each :)

(Personally, I think the high end is getting somewhat crowded already - Luxman, Woo Audio, Rudistor, GS-X : do iBasso really want to put themselves in the middle of that lot ?)

fair enough. I do hope they come out with their desktop amp soon though..
also, when I meant high end, I meant in portable amp category..personally I just dont see ibasso in the high end with the likes of luxman etc. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #71 of 774
Lookin' forward to this one. Sell it already...

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #75 of 774
I myself am quite keen to see what Ron has in store for the Topkit of the D6, as well as how the D6 fares with the Sennheisers HD600/650.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back