iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Jan 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #47 of 774
Jam, you are really building this amp up to frightening proportions -  I hope it lives up to the hype :)

I'm going to try the Topkit with my D4 - it will be interesting to compare the results with whichever amp I buy next. I hope Ron wont mind if I post a section of his PM:

The D4 Topkit includes a custom Class A L/R module and a set of custom bypass buffers.  The Topkit can be used with the bypass buffers for a more neutral and opamp soundstage.  This also significantly improves battery life when in the 9v setting. Others prefer using the LR module with the stock buffers for more "punch".  Let your ears be the guide.

Personally, I'll take punch over neutral any day of the week, but I can see why he has to cover both bases. If I had to choose an iBasso amp atm, it would probably be the P4 based purely on the incredible numbers iBasso are claiming for this amp, but its all good. Roll on mid-January.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #48 of 774

Quote:
PB2 and D6 will be sold soon! Is there a thread for the PB2 yet?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528149/ibasso-pb-2-the-pelican-fully-balanced-portable-with-sockets-for-changing-op-amps-and-buffers
Quote:

Jam, you are really building this amp up to frightening proportions -  I hope it lives up to the hype :)

I am not trying to hype or build it to frightening proportions. I don't think any amp can scale that. With the USB this amp can do 24/96 is noticeably better though, even with 16/48 material, IMO. The amp and dac in this portable is going to be very enjoyable for those who get it, IMO. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #50 of 774
Much will depend on 24/96 implementation and clocking.  I have a D12 and a DACPort and can say the DACPort sounds better, but it costs more, has no battery, etc.

The DAC section sounds like the D12, so I'm wondering if the only difference is the input options.  If so, maybe it's a bit cheaper.  I was annoyed that the D12 only supports up to 48K via USB and that I had to use TOSLINK for higher bitrates...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 6, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #52 of 774

Quote:
If this is the new D4 and includes a DAC then I seriously doubt the amp can compare to the very similarly priced P4 which is dedicated to the function of amplification.

What I want to know is how it differs from the D12 other than connectivity.

If D6 will be running on 9V batteries the voltage swing will be larger than D12, which runs with 5V Lithium batteries. But until D6 will be officially announced so this is just speculation. D12's USB is 16/44.1 vs D6's 24/96.

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #53 of 774
The D6 has over twice the swing voltage of the D12. The op amp choice with the D6 is quite large, which should satisfy many. The 24/96 sounds as good as high resolution optical 24/96 and noticeably better than 16/48 USB, IMO. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #54 of 774
I would guess the D6 will have the same battery as the P4: