iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Aug 17, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #616 of 774

Quote:

Thanks HiFlight, I just noticed the price difference is only $10? so is the D12 essentially a D6 with optical and coaxial inputs ?

No, the D6 also has a higher supply voltage than the D12, about double.   The higher voltage allows for the use of a greater selection of opamps if you are interested in rolling, and also more headroom for transients than is available in the D12.   The D6 can be powered directly from the USB input without turning on the amp if you are using it as a stand-alone DAC, whereas the D12 needs to be powered on when using the DAC as a pass-through.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #617 of 774

Quote:
No, the D6 also has a higher supply voltage than the D12, about double.   The higher voltage allows for the use of a greater selection of opamps if you are interested in rolling, and also more headroom for transients than is available in the D12.   The D6 can be powered directly from the USB input without turning on the amp if you are using it as a stand-alone DAC, whereas the D12 needs to be powered on when using the DAC as a pass-through.

Thanks for the helpful info HiFlight, I am interested in rolling. I also like the fact the D6 can be powered directly via USB for DAC but will it charge from USB? I would like to avoid to carrying another charger when I'm traveling. I just had a look at the iBasso manual but I could not find any information on this.

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #618 of 774
It does not charge through USB, but can be powered through USB. The power is only 5v through USB compared to 12.6v on battery, so more powerful opamps like AD797's will not work as they need min 5v each to work.

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #620 of 774

Quote:

Thanks, the lack of USB charging could be a deal breaker for me, I may have to look for another DAC.

The D4 might be a possibility for you, as the replaceable 9v batteries are available anywhere and still provide a decent output voltage swing.   It can also be powered via USB as can the D6.  It is easy to carry a couple of spare 9v batteries when travelling.   You can also pick up pre-owned D4's fairly often on the F.S. forum.

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #621 of 774

Quote:
The D4 might be a possibility for you, as the replaceable 9v batteries are available anywhere and still provide a decent output voltage swing.   It can also be powered via USB as can the D6.  It is easy to carry a couple of spare 9v batteries when travelling.   You can also pick up pre-owned D4's fairly often on the F.S. forum.

I just read a good review on the Leckerton UHA-4, I will have a look at the iBasso D4 as well, thanks.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #622 of 774
I should have researched this before I bought my Xm6... but does anyone know if the D6 or the Xm6 has more power?  

Also what is the benefit of dual wm8740's over single?  I thought one WM8740 was already overkill for my music, which is mostly spotify and pandora.

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #623 of 774

Quote:
I should have researched this before I bought my Xm6... but does anyone know if the D6 or the Xm6 has more power?  

Also what is the benefit of dual wm8740's over single?  I thought one WM8740 was already overkill for my music, which is mostly spotify and pandora.

Dual vs. single improves channel isolation, and in some circuits could possibly be used to create balanced DACs.  However, if all your music is online streaming, you aren't going to benefit from this, per-se.  However, should your source material improve, it's always nice to know your gear has more potential...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 9, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #625 of 774
Line out when using the integrated DAC via USB. Line in when the DAC is not active (no USB or charging only).

-Ed

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #626 of 774
I realize this isn't entirely the right thread, but i saw someone here had the same problem with the D6, i just got a DB2 and PB2, and had them run completely out of power, now im charging them, the PB2 is fully charged, so the charge switch has been turned off, but its still plugged in. The DB2 is not fully charged, but i decided to use it anyways, but the white power indicator wont light up, no matter wether i unplug it, turn the charge switch on or off etc. Does anyone have any clue as to why this is happening?

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #627 of 774
I think I'm set on making this my first DAC and amp. I'm a newb and have never used anything other than my Air's headphone jack.

I plan to pick up some Grado RS2s soon and my laptop only has USB out. The fact this does 24/96 over USB and that it'll be an all-in-one combo that will be an amp as well has me excited.

MacBook Air --> D6 ---> RS2s

Then I can save up for a tube amp and then use the D6 as a DAC-only feeding the tube.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #628 of 774
It looks like you got it all figured out.
wink.gif
  Will the RS2 be your first quality headphone?  Great headphone choice by the way.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #629 of 774
Full size yes, they will be my first, but I had some Turbine Copper IEMs I bought last month stolen about a week ago :frowning2: I'm down to just my 80is again

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #630 of 774
Ouch!  I always hate reading about theft like that.  I guess that means the RS2 will be under lock and key along with a few security guards when not in use?
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back