iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Aug 11, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #601 of 774
For anyone who has experienced RFI issues, I noticed that the part acting as an, "antenna," for the RFI is the actual headphones themselves!

What I mean is that my current portable rig is a sandwiched bundle; the iPhone 3GS, underneath it a special metal I/O shield, underneath that the iBasso D6.  An ALO cryo LOD connects the two units.  Whenever I'm listening to music, if I am traveling through a dead zone, my phone starts putting out much harder RF to try and connect back to the network, and if the wire for my headphones happens to be turned up towards or even worse wrapped around the phone, I start hearing huge RF noises.  If I grasp the wire and turn it downward and away from the phone, the RF noise goes way down and in most cases disappears.  My assessment is that the headphone cable is somehow picking up the phone's RFI and feeding it back into the amp.  This definitely makes sense given that the RF noise is always the same full volume regardless of where I set the volume attenuator dial.

-Ed

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #602 of 774

Quote:
Guys, just a head's up. You might want to reconsider keeping the battery plugged in all the time as my battery pack had expanded beyond the size of its casing. Was surprised to see that happened when I opened up my iBasso D6 for inspection. While I am not too worried about the casing itself, I am worried about the pressure on the PCB and the pressure build-up on the battery pack when pressed against the PCB and casing.

Will follow up with more updates from iBasso.

That is a big deal.  The battery is Lithium Ion, and this is a form of "exploding battery."  Since this is the first anyone has written it's hopefully a fluke, but the worst case is the battery can actually burst into flames...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 12, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #603 of 774
That is a big deal.  The battery is Lithium Ion, and this is a form of "exploding battery."  Since this is the first anyone has written it's hopefully a fluke, but the worst case is the battery can actually burst into flames...

Indeed. Unfortunately, many consumers around my region (not limited to my country) take such issues lightly. I highly suggest those who have an iBasso D6 to check their batteries, and to properly regulate their charging time, not allowing it to overcharge/be hooked on the power adapter for prolonged periods.

Also, iBasso has yet to reply my mail. However, my local dealer was kind enough to update me that the battery is not covered by warranty and hence requires a purchase replacement.

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #604 of 774
A battery that fails in this way absolutely should be covered by warranty.  iBasso has always been real responsive to my enquiries, suggest you try again...  Good luck...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #605 of 774

Quote:
This worked for me too, I used Foobar with WASAPI through the USB port on my keyboard.

From the hunting I did it has to do with the firmware on the TI TAS1020B transport module.

The TI forums have TI employees saying they had customers that needed to modify the firmware code when using 64-bit windows.

If its not a firmware issue it may be do to the USB controller losing synchronicity with the PC.

I hope it isn't the USB port build fault causing a ground short because then I wont have any option to fix it. Being as I don't have this issue on Win7 32-bit, Windows XP, or Ubuntu 11.04 I don't think that's the issue. Also because even though I have 20+ hours in my current config with no issues I did experience it once yesterday. After unplugging the USB and plugging it back in it hasn't come back yet.

http://e2e.ti.com/support/applications/audio/f/22/t/31146.aspx

and another possible solution. Looking at the back of my PC where the DVI and VGA ports for my monitor are I discovered that I have another port which I believe is, joy of joys, an HDMI port! I am not sure if it is the full size one or a mini version suffice to say that it is the width of a USB port, a lot thinner and with that typical trapezoid shape. I wonder, if I get an HDMI to USB/B connector and see what happens with that. It will hopefully bypass any grounding issues or otherwise that I might have.

Any thoughts

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #606 of 774

Quote:
and another possible solution. Looking at the back of my PC where the DVI and VGA ports for my monitor are I discovered that I have another port which I believe is, joy of joys, an HDMI port! I am not sure if it is the full size one or a mini version suffice to say that it is the width of a USB port, a lot thinner and with that typical trapezoid shape. I wonder, if I get an HDMI to USB/B connector and see what happens with that. It will hopefully bypass any grounding issues or otherwise that I might have.

Any thoughts

No thoughts on your proposed solution, but based on the size of the port as you described it, it is a full-size HDMI.  

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #608 of 774
A battery that fails in this way absolutely should be covered by warranty.  iBasso has always been real responsive to my enquiries, suggest you try again...  Good luck...

Unfortunately... iBasso replied that the battery is truly not covered by warranty. A replacement from them is about 30USD, I guess shipping will differ by location. Will be making my order shortly, can't stand listening out from my gears without amping haha.

Just a pic:

So guys, remember to take good care of the batteries ya. :)

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #609 of 774
Boy is that short-sighted of them. And that is absolutely clearly a manufacturing defect in the battery.

IBasso, I hope you are reading this thread, because that is just plain wrong of you. Batteries wear over time, but not like this. A reputable manufacturer will stand behind a manufacturing flaw, always.

I for one won't buy more gear from them if this is their attitude. I can't imagine RSA or Leckerton acting that way.

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #610 of 774
Ok folks i got another problem with my D6.. I usually leave my charger plugged into the D6 and listen off the battery and it's been three days since i've taken it off. However, this morning i took the charger off of the D6 and the battery no longer holds a charge on the D6 when left out of the charger. The white light won't even turn on, should i just let it run without the charger and hope the white light turns on and suddenly works?

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #611 of 774

Quote:
Ok folks i got another problem with my D6.. I usually leave my charger plugged into the D6 and listen off the battery and it's been three days since i've taken it off. However, this morning i took the charger off of the D6 and the battery no longer holds a charge on the D6 when left out of the charger. The white light won't even turn on, should i just let it run without the charger and hope the white light turns on and suddenly works?

Check and make sure that you didn't inadvertently leave the selector switch in the "USB" position.   With no USB source input, you will get no white light when you turn it on.   Try it in the "Batt" position.  

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #612 of 774
^^ checked all those.. still no good. I think the battery is just dead, ughh.. checked on the site and it said it was ok to leave the charger plugged in the D6 without it doing no harm.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #614 of 774

Quote:
I am so indecisive when it comes to spending money,  D6...  D12...  decisions, decisions.

If you need optical or coax inputs, D12 wins.  If you need primarily Aux inputs (DAP, CD, etc) and/or USB input, then D6. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back