iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Jul 7, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #526 of 774

Quote:
As a newbie to the world of portable hi-fi, I have a couple questions about this unit.  The D6 is both an amp and DAC?  All-in-one solution, where all I would need is a DAP?  If I were to use this with an iPod, what would be the best connection?  I would probably use it stock at first, then think about upgrading later.  

Not sure if you are still a little confused here.

1. Using the D6 with a DAP, you will only be using the AMP section of the D6, either from the headphone out on your DAP or via an analog LOD cable (only available for certain DAPs from Apple, Sony etc)

2. To utilise the DAC component of the D6, you need to plug it into the USB port on a computer, select the D6 as your playback device, start your music player software (iTunes or whatever) and enjoy.

In short, when you plug the D6 into a DAP, you are listening to the musical stylings of the DAC in the player, not the D6 DAC.

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #527 of 774
Sorry if the question is kind of stupid, im new to this forum.:) When connecting D6 to a mp3 player (cowon in my case) through a headphone out, will it be using D6's amp section fully? thanks

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #528 of 774

Quote:
Sorry if the question is kind of stupid, im new to this forum.:) When connecting D6 to a mp3 player (cowon in my case) through a headphone out, will it be using D6's amp section fully? thanks

Yes, with the disclaimer that a headphone out isnt the same as a 'line out' - for now, dont worry about that, just enjoy your music.

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #529 of 774

Quote:
Not sure if you are still a little confused here.

1. Using the D6 with a DAP, you will only be using the AMP section of the D6, either from the headphone out on your DAP or via an analog LOD cable (only available for certain DAPs from Apple, Sony etc)

2. To utilise the DAC component of the D6, you need to plug it into the USB port on a computer, select the D6 as your playback device, start your music player software (iTunes or whatever) and enjoy.

In short, when you plug the D6 into a DAP, you are listening to the musical stylings of the DAC in the player, not the D6 DAC.

Thanks for answering.  I've figured out some things too.  I've discovered that LOD does not mean "Line Out Digital", which is what had me going initially.  After discovering this, and doing some more reading here and on other sites, I've decided that the iBasso isn't for me.  I'm still thinking CLAS when the money comes together, but not right away.  But thanks again for your very easy to understand answer.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #530 of 774
Very concerned about the clicks and the static on this DAC. Is this a bright sounding DAC?

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #531 of 774
I purchased a D6 from another headfier last week and have only been listening to it since Saturday, but I have heard no clicks or static whether using just as an amp with my ipod touch & LOD or using the DAC plugged into my iMac desktop or Mac Air laptop. All I can say about this ibasso D6 is it is a great little amp and awesome DAC! The detail is much greater with 24 Bits compared to 16 - I'm hearing even subtle nuances that were not present with instrumental passages and background voices are much clearer - everything is clearer in fact! I'm using my Senn 598's and M50's with mostly ALAC files (but lower-rez is improved also). So far I'm really impressed with how much better the M50 sounds with this DAC! As to being a bright-sounding DAC, I guess it is a bit brighter than my E/7 but it's all about detail and soundstaging IMHO. I'm not using any EQ on most of my music if that helps. I'll try to describe it better when I've spent more time listening, but right now I'm quite pleased with this one!

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #532 of 774
thanks alot^^ i guess my pro 900 cans can lessen the brightness of the D6.

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #533 of 774

Quote:
thanks alot^^ i guess my pro 900 cans can lessen the brightness of the D6.

From what I've read the brightness of the Pro900 should normalize after about 150 hours of use. I know my HFI-780's took about a month of use to level out and the Pro900, being a titanium driver, is a bit more stubborn.

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #534 of 774
On the D6 (and other iBasso amps), how does the gain control work? On the product page, it's listed as a USB sound card which makes me think that it has some sort of volume control. Are the line outs fixed? Can you control the volume of the D6 through your computer's volume control/mixer app (I'm on a gnu/linux system for what that matters) If so, what is controlled? the line out, the headphone or both?

I sit some distance away from my PC.

Thanks all.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #535 of 774
On the D6 (and other iBasso amps), how does the gain control work? On the product page, it's listed as a USB sound card which makes me think that it has some sort of volume control. Are the line outs fixed? Can you control the volume of the D6 through your computer's volume control/mixer app (I'm on a gnu/linux system for what that matters) If so, what is controlled? the line out, the headphone or both?

I sit some distance away from my PC.

Thanks all.

No you have to adjust the volume by either the volume pot or through a software volume control on your linux box. When the D6 is used as a DAC it puts out 1.5v and cannot be adjusted.

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #538 of 774
Perhaps i misunderstand, but it looks like it can be powered by (run on)  the internal battery, a power brick or usb.

Is there any difference in noise from the computer when the switch on the back is in the battery position rather than the usb position or using a brick?

Will it switch to usb automatically when the battery gets low?  

Can it charge and play from the usb at the same time or charge from the brick and play from the usb at the same time?

If i toggle from usb to battery while it's in use do I risk damaging something?

Thanks

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #539 of 774
Perhaps i misunderstand, but it looks like it can be powered by (run on)  the internal battery, a power brick or usb.

Is there any difference in noise from the computer when the switch on the back is in the battery position rather than the usb position or using a brick?

Will it switch to usb automatically when the battery gets low?  

Can it charge and play from the usb at the same time or charge from the brick and play from the usb at the same time?

If i toggle from usb to battery while it's in use do I risk damaging something?

Thanks

From my experience with the D6 you can switch from USB to battery either way at any time wont damage a thing.
When running from USB it does not have the power output as when its running from battery.
ON noise I have never had any noise when I had my D6.
Yes it can charge and play from USB at the same time.
No it wont automatically switch to USB when the battery is low there is a switch in the back

Hope this helps

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #540 of 774
It does, thanks again. (i actually discovered the manual which answered one of the questions). If do i risk damaging my speakers/amp or headphones if the battery gets too low while playing?  I'd assume not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back