iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Jun 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #496 of 774

Yes, I did try running my HE-6 from the D6.   With battery power, there is not a great deal of difference between it and my P4.  Volume control is at about 2-3pm position for my normal listening level, but the sound is just fine, with full bass and no clipping.  When using USB power, the SQ lacks weight and size and clipping is noticeable at normal listening levels.  

While I do not own an HE-500 or LCD-2, there is no doubt in my mind that the D6 could drive them to any reasonable listening level when using battery power.   (The Class A ISL55002 L/R module I am using in both the P4 and D6 outputs about 140ma)  In the D6 I was using bypassed buffer and in the P4 I was using HA5002 buffers. 

Quote:
This caught my attention. Have you tried running the HE-6 with the D6 yet? Do you think it might provide enough power for the LCD2s or the HE-500s, knowing that they're less power hungry than the HE-6s.

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #497 of 774
Hi, all!

Been a while, I know...probably not too many of you that still even recall my previous series of posts.

Anyhow, I just put in an order today with iBasso for a black D6, and an order with Ron for a D6 Topkit with the L/R add-on module option.  Should be able to directly compare the amp section against my RSA P51 Mustang using both my Yuin OK1 and my Westone4 (for those who remember me from my last batch of reviews/posts, I had a pair of Westone3, a pair of Westone UM3X and also a pair of Sennheiser IE8.  I still have access to all three, but I have since given them/lent them on permanent basis all to my girlfriend [the IE8], and the other two Westones to one cousin each).  I'll also try to post my impressions comparing stock D6 versus D6 with Topkit versus D6 with Topkit and L/R module (and if you guys and gals are really lucky, some other combination of components) with both, the IEMs as well as the buds.

As far as sources, I have a PC with foobar2000 which I will utilize ASIO drivers to the D6 for.  I no longer have my Benchmark DAC1, or else I'd consider running line out from that DAC to the amp portion of the P51 Mustang and D6 line in to compare, sorry.  Mobile rig is an iPhone 3GS with ALO Cryo 18G LOD...I could conceivably do some comparison between Mustang and D6 amp with my mobile rig just for additional reference points.

My main reason for getting the D6 is because my second Nuforce Icon Mobile has failed (this one refuses to charge because it trips up the surge detection of any USB hub or port that I try to plug it into--ticket has been submitted to Nuforce, but no response yet).  My first Icon Mobile was replaced early on for some other reason I can no longer recall.  Unless they are willing to replace/repair my Icon, I likely won't be able to provide a comparison of the Icon Mobile against these two higher caliber amps or DAC.  As far as the reason for using a combination DAC/amp, it's for listening to music at work, where I use the Yuin buds, that allow me to monitor ambient sounds (but requires a good deal of power) while listening to music, which my Westone4 do not allow.  I use the Westone4 for my daily commute on Metronorth light rail to isolate myself from the noise of train.  As far as why I no longer keep my Westone3, UM3X or IE8 around, it's because I felt no desire to keep any of them around once I got the Westone4--I feel they're simply that good, and I don't even use my UM56 custom tips with them, just Comply foams (the IEMs don't sit as flush as I like in my ears with the UM56 tips).

Can't wait for this puppy to come in!

-Ed

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #498 of 774

Quote:
Yes, I did try running my HE-6 from the D6.   With battery power, there is not a great deal of difference between it and my P4.  Volume control is at about 2-3pm position for my normal listening level, but the sound is just fine, with full bass and no clipping.  When using USB power, the SQ lacks weight and size and clipping is noticeable at normal listening levels.  

Just for the benefit of those who havent heard either amp, at 2-3pm with 30-ohm cans, I estimate that most of us would have blood coming out of our ears within 20 seconds. I rarely took the P4 beyond 9am with the Grados or the AD900 - both considerably easier to drive than the HE-6, and now I know just how much easier. The HiFiMan orthos are some seriously insensitive cans.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #499 of 774

Quote:
Just for the benefit of those who havent heard either amp, at 2-3pm with 30-ohm cans, I estimate that most of us would have blood coming out of our ears within 20 seconds. I rarely took the P4 beyond 9am with the Grados or the AD900 - both considerably easier to drive than the HE-6, and now I know just how much easier. The HiFiMan orthos are some seriously insensitive cans.

It also demonstrates just how powerful the D6 is.  It's amazing what iBasso's portable can do, if it weren't the cheaper price of the E9(which is not too shabby itself) I would have easily sprung for the either D6 or the P4.  Estreeter, how does the P4 compare to your E9?

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #500 of 774
Has anyone tried the D6 with 250ohm or 600ohm Beyerdynamic DT770's?

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #502 of 774

Quote:
Should be able to directly compare the amp section against my RSA P51 Mustang using both my Yuin PK1 and my Westone4
I'll also try to post my impressions comparing stock D6 versus D6 with Topkit versus D6 with Topkit and L/R module (and if you guys and gals are really lucky, some other combination of components) with both, the IEMs as well as the buds.

I could conceivably do some comparison between Mustang and D6 amp with my mobile rig just for additional reference points.

-Ed

Hi Edward, i'm really looking forward to your impression! I have a 3GS, an iPod and am planning to buy a pari of PK1 for summer. 

NZ

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #503 of 774
You are right, as this noise is not limited to the D6. My uDac2 does the same thing and gives me a constant ticking sound. I solved the problem by quite simlpy disconnecting the USB cable before boot up then reconnectiing once my desktop had loaded - no ticking!

What we haven't done yet is isolated the problem by comparing notes/systems etc. I know it's not the D6 because my uDAC does it too. My home system is a standalone PC running W7 Home professional 64 bit SP1. I connecct my uDAC to the front panel, haven't tried the auxiliary monitor USB yet.

My work Laptop runs this perfectly with no issues whatsoever. This runs Win XP Professional SP3 32 bit. I've tried the uDAC in all three USB ports with no problems.

It would interesting and beneficial to see what other posters with this issue are running and this might give us an idea as to who to target for a solution. it certainly does not look like iBasso problem.

So if you've had the problem, give us some details about the system you are running and we might be able to effect a permanent cure.

Quote:
................I have spent the last couple of days in a driven quest to make usable my DAC+AMP in my office computer, the problem : random and constant static loud noise when using the generic USBAUDIO from my Windows 7 x64 at full 24bit/96KHz,
When downgrading  to 16bits from the properties in the windows audio mixer I got seldom High pitch sounds, no static but annoying as hell.
I used the back USB ports, no good.
I tried ASIO with my trusted MediaMonkey and the asio4all emulator. Same thing.
Tried USB-ASIO trial, very bad to worst, I had to restore my computer in order to remove the driver.
Then Foobar2000 + wasapi this was almost it, only left out was a very unpredictable pitch noise but this time tamed and short. still annoyed.

I was ready to quit, then I realize that the problem has to be with my computer, my home laptop was working fine, fine is a understatement BTW the sound at 24bit was, like... haven!. More on that later.

The solution. If you are hunted by static like me, then realize that the USB signal in your computer my be faulty by design, there's a lot of variables that can cause this, ground, short, another usb device. for me it was the power-source. to my dismay I used the auxiliary USB ports of my monitor and the problem was gone like if it was never there. My power-source is creating signal noise, funny as I tried 5 identical machines all of them with the same problem, but only this five, I tried several other and they didn't show this same problem.

Now I have enjoined heaven for the last 4 hours without the slightest hint or speck of noise. best of all I can use what ever thing that makes sound in my computer, without specialized drivers.

Sorry for the long post. Also Thanks to the guys at ibasso that help me find the solution.

Jorge

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #504 of 774

Quote:
:

It also demonstrates just how powerful the D6 is.  It's amazing what iBasso's portable can do, if it weren't the cheaper price of the E9(which is not too shabby itself) I would have easily sprung for the either D6 or the P4.  Estreeter, how does the P4 compare to your E9?

The E9 is the more powerful amp, no question, but I just dont have the phones needed to 'push' either amp. Sonically, I found both to be closer to neutral than my other amps and both have wonderfully black backgrounds - if I had to chose one, it would probably be the P4 by virtue of  its smaller footprint and off-the-grid versatility. That said, I am perfectly happy with my E9 and am fighting off the desire to buy more portable amps at this point in time :wink:

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #505 of 774
You are right, as this noise is not limited to the D6. My uDac2 does the same thing and gives me a constant ticking sound. I solved the problem by quite simlpy disconnecting the USB cable before boot up then reconnectiing once my desktop had loaded - no ticking!

What we haven't done yet is isolated the problem by comparing notes/systems etc. I know it's not the D6 because my uDAC does it too. My home system is a standalone PC running W7 Home professional 64 bit SP1. I connecct my uDAC to the front panel, haven't tried the auxiliary monitor USB yet.

My work Laptop runs this perfectly with no issues whatsoever. This runs Win XP Professional SP3 32 bit. I've tried the uDAC in all three USB ports with no problems.

It would interesting and beneficial to see what other posters with this issue are running and this might give us an idea as to who to target for a solution. it certainly does not look like iBasso problem.

So if you've had the problem, give us some details about the system you are running and we might be able to effect a permanent cure.

Its the hard drive making the ticking its a known issue with some puters especially laptops. Mine did it on my home laptop which is an Asus but not my work laptop which ran windows xp and was a Lenova..
There are forum posts on this out there somewhere the only thing you can do is try all the different ports and see if it lessens if it does not on that machine your stuck with it. My home computers never do it. Just the laptops
no cure for it sadly.

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #506 of 774

Quote:
Its the hard drive making the ticking its a known issue with some puters especially laptops. Mine did it on my home laptop which is an Asus but not my work laptop which ran windows xp and was a Lenova..
There are forum posts on this out there somewhere the only thing you can do is try all the different ports and see if it lessens if it does not on that machine your stuck with it. My home computers never do it. Just the laptops
no cure for it sadly.

Wouldn't upgrading to an SSD be a solution (albeit a very expensive one)?

-Ed

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #508 of 774
My D6 has shipped out via UPS from iBasso and is in Guangzhou; I wonder when it will reach me in NY!

-Ed

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #509 of 774
Just received mine today, compared to the D10, it's more detailed with no clipping when pushed, it's just has a more open "wide" sound stage, I am using it with an Ipod touch with a Fiio L9 cable and JH16's custom IEM's, it's one sweet amp, have not used it with my laptop yet.

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #510 of 774
Just received my D6 today, compared to the D10, it's more detailed with no clipping when pushed, it's just has a more open "wide" sound stage, I am using it with an Ipod touch with a Fiio L9 cable and JH16's custom IEM's, it's one sweet amp, have not used it with my laptop yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back