iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Jul 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #542 of 774

Quote:
It does indeed have more power when you switch to battery while connected to USB! 

does that go for using the AC adapter in "Battery" mode as well?

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #544 of 774
Hey Guys! Got my D6 yesterday! i have some questions (my very first amp/dac), and i apologize if they're kinda silly.

1) When using as a combo through USB, im able to change the volume in Media Player, the volume of the laptop and the D6 itself, of course. Is this how it should be? for some reason, i thought that when plugged into USB i could regulate the volume only from D6.

2) Within the first 4 hours of listening i had very loud static noise two times. Terrible experience i should say. :) i saw on this thread that some people had this problem as well from time to time. But i had 2 since the very beginning, should i be worrying that i might have a defective unit? have anyone found a solution to this problem? (my OS is Windows Vista 32bit).

Thanks.

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #546 of 774

Quote:
Hey Guys! Got my D6 yesterday! i have some questions (my very first amp/dac), and i apologize if they're kinda silly.

1) When using as a combo through USB, im able to change the volume in Media Player, the volume of the laptop and the D6 itself, of course. Is this how it should be? for some reason, i thought that when plugged into USB i could regulate the volume only from D6.

2) Within the first 4 hours of listening i had very loud static noise two times. Terrible experience i should say. :) i saw on this thread that some people had this problem as well from time to time. But i had 2 since the very beginning, should i be worrying that i might have a defective unit? have anyone found a solution to this problem? (my OS is Windows Vista 32bit).

Thanks.

No promise, but there's a least a good probability it's noise from a phone or wifi being picked up by the D6.  

iBasso's stock op-amps are somewhate susceptible to RFI.  Keep your Blackberry in another building (or at least 4-5 feet away), most other mobile phones at least 3 feet, and consider if you are using wifi, maybe using a longer USB cable to get the D6 away from the PC.

TopFlight has posted some comments about opamps that are less RFI sensitive.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #547 of 774

Quote:

No promise, but there's a least a good probability it's noise from a phone or wifi being picked up by the D6.  

iBasso's stock op-amps are somewhate susceptible to RFI.  Keep your Blackberry in another building (or at least 4-5 feet away), most other mobile phones at least 3 feet, and consider if you are using wifi, maybe using a longer USB cable to get the D6 away from the PC.

TopFlight has posted some comments about opamps that are less RFI sensitive.

Thanks a lot for your advice! I guess I should order HiFlight's Topkit then and start using it that way.

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #548 of 774
Just briefly chiming in on the RFI sensitivity issue, I am definitely noticing that it is picking up significantly more noise from my iPhone 3GS than my P51 Mustang does (which, essentially, never suffers noise issues), but then again the special shielding card I use is, "only," as big as a credit card, which fully shields the Mustang but leaves perhaps an eighth of an inch, "exposed," for the far larger D6.  I will try switching various components from the TopKit in and out to see if it has an effect on the problem, but it's also hard to tell because from what I've seen the phone only occasionally emits extremely powerful noise to the amp--rarely enough that I may test for an hour or two and not experience the problem regardless of chosen components.  One thing I did notice, however, was that regardless of how high or low I turned the volume dial, the noise was just as loud, so wherever the amp is picking up the noise from the phone, it's after the attenuator, not before.  This may simply be due to the way the amp is designed of course.  The attenuator must be before the amplification stage, so the music source is attenuated but the phone's noise comes through full **** force!

-Ed

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #550 of 774
Just ordered my D6 :)

How long does it usually take to get it?

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #551 of 774

Quote:
Just ordered my D6 :)

How long does it usually take to get it?

Placed my D6 order on 07/13.  UPS tracking shows a scheduled delivery date of Monday, 07/18/2011, By End of Day. Pretty fast for me.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #552 of 774
I suspect that you will both be blown away by how quickly iBasso can get an amp to places like the US and Oz - I know I was. I havent found another seller who can get product from China to my work address within a single week of ordering, and their shipping charge is very reasonable.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #553 of 774
Alas, I won't be keeping the D6.  I preferred the SQ to the D12, but found that it did not work with my bailing wire and chewing gum rig to get digital audio out of the iPad. Even with the wal-wort the thing pulls more current over the USB than the iPad will allow, even with a t3.

Nice unit, though.  Still not equal in SQ to the DACport, but very good price/performance, and of course self-powered.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 18, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #554 of 774
Mine Shipped at 3AM EST on Sunday, so if I'm super super lucky I'll get it for the weekend, currently UPS is showing this:

China 07/18/2011 3:51 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

WOW! its already in Alaska!

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #555 of 774
Hopefully its not being delivered by these guys:

http://www.history.com/shows/ice-road-truckers

Seriously, I believe you will have it before the weekend. I should have ordered a P4 on Saturday, but as usual I have procrastinated for yet another week ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back