iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Dec 9, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #332 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, while its not a portable, one of the things I like about the Topaz is that it upsamples everything to 24/96 via optical, but I think you mentioned in the review that this tends to make a lot of music sound thin and it may be counter-productive from that POV (apologies if that was a Skylab entry - its been a while since I read that thread).

I have had good results with the Topaz hooked up to my integrated, but I am really betting the farm on the Lisa RS next year. Failing that, I will try the uDAC with the Lisa, but having a DAC that takes optical input is a definite plus and I'm hoping it works as well as my fevered imagination would have me believe.
biggrin.gif

does topaz sound better than say a predator with full size cans when used independently, beacuse after all it does have a 1/4 jack a huge plus in my book

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #333 of 1,153
Just got my D4 and this is what the package look like,
Sorry could not resist stripping the the whole thing when I got it.

Not included is the instruction menu, receipt and box
D4Package.jpg

The front of the D4
D4Front.jpg

And the underside of the D4
D4Back.jpg

A quick look at the D4 and the Amp section is very similar to D10 Both comes with 1 LR and a double op-amp buffer for a single channel.

The D4 however comes with a buffer immediately after the DAC driving, In this case it is the AD8616 which is beside the DAC, This is a welcome addition as this OP-AMP would be driving the volume pot. Unfortunately this OP-AMP is hard soldered on the board and it not roll-able. With such a design it is possible to use a lower resistance potential meter, but I have not verified if it is indeed lower in value.

The D4 does not comes with a CS8416 digital receiver, If it does it would be possible to mod this to accept a SPDIF input with 3 simple component.

Also noted that the feedback resistor on the D4 is no longer the Through hole Vishey type like the D10. All resistor are now SMD.

Out put decoupling capacitor is now 18V 470uf (Silver in colour) Which is different brand from the D10.

I noted that the relay will not be energize if you use the DAC and output via headphone, Which saves some trees and leave a smaller carbon footprint. Which I believe it is the most common configuration if you buy a D4.

It just occurred to me that without the battery it is likely that the voltage of the D4 could be higher than the D10 using just USB powered, it could be 0.5 higher but still LM4562 could not be used here. The choice of default output buffer is LMH6655 which on the D10 could sometime be problematic especially when the battery is weak. So with an additional 0.5v the choice of OP-AMP open up slightly.

The gain selection circuit is very similar to the D10 and I do not expect a wrong resistor to be soldered here
wink_face.gif
evil_smiley.gif

The reservoir capacitor for the D4 is a 10V 2200uf Cap, But looking at the space available a quick mod would be to choose a larger longer capacitor.

Another possible mod would be to install a voltage doubler like ICL7660 to charge the 9V battery, which will most likely be a NiMh 7.2v cell. Then I could say good bye to changing battery.

OP-AMP rolling with BUF634 and AD4857-1
D4rolling.jpg

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #336 of 1,153
It's just that cheapo one, but I understand. Didn't get one either. Didn't get the little wrench too for that matter. Good thing I've got a million screwdrivers already!

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #337 of 1,153
I am glad the AD8616 is in there. That it isn't swappable doesn't bother me as it is an opamp I find very agreeable and to be honest, SMD's are better off hard soldered to the board due to inductance, and other possible forms of induced distortion.

I snapped off part of the contact for the pos and neg on the batter so that the back plate fits flush with the 9 volt battery inserted. The last part that is bent back towards the board holds the battery too far away and by taking it off the spring contact compresses more allowing the battery to fit further in.

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #338 of 1,153
i had a chance to demo a D4 (not sure if it was burned in or not) vs a D2+.
While the D4 sounds better (as I heard it, wider soundstage and slightly more clarity), I am not sure if it is a good buy over the D2+, given that the latter is cheaper (by $50), smaller/lighter, and does not need an ext battery charger.
i heard both connected to my ipod via a qables LOD, and the D4 was batt powered. The phones used were UM3X and Westone 3.
Can anyone support either the D4 or D2+, esp if you have tried both, to help me decide? I am intending to use this for both portable as well as at home with my macbook, so T3 is out. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #340 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for ipod maybe t3 is better

am planning to use this @ home with my macbook, as well as with my iphone when i am out, so t3 is out.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #341 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by supern0va /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the D4 sounds better (as I heard it, wider soundstage and slightly more clarity), I am not sure if it is a good buy over the D2+, given that the latter is cheaper (by $50), smaller/lighter, and does not need an ext battery charger.
i heard both connected to my ipod via a qables LOD, and the D4 was batt powered. The phones used were UM3X and Westone 3.
Can anyone support either the D4 or D2+, esp if you have tried both, to help me decide? I am intending to use this for both portable as well as at home with my macbook, so T3 is out. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

The extra 50 is really the extra dac as it's one per channel L and R where the D2+ is one for both. The deciding factor for me was the battery because Im away from my computer more often than not so I needed the extra battery juice.

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #342 of 1,153
supern0va;6228973 said:
While the D4 sounds better (as I heard it, wider soundstage and slightly more clarity), I am not sure if it is a good buy over the D2+, given that the latter is cheaper (by $50), smaller/lighter, and does not need an ext battery charger.]
....................snip.......................... ...............

The D4 has no provision at all for using an external battery charger as it is powered either by USB input or battery.

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #343 of 1,153
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

are you ok with external battery? the answer is pretty clear.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #344 of 1,153
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

The D4 is more balanced and neutral sounding than the D2 Boa (haven't heard the D2+). And the D4 DAC seems to be about as detailed as the Pico's (slightly drier and less dynamic, but very close). That right there is a plus.

Add to that the ability to drive an HD600 or HE-5 when on 9v battery power better than the D2 can with it's 5v supply, and I would pay the extra for the D4. With the UM3X and W3 the difference in power may not be as much of an issue, but I'm sure someday you are going to want to try full size headphones and the difference is noticeable. And, the improved frequency balance will be an improvement with the IEM regardless of power.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #345 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by madwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my D4 and this is what the package look like,
Sorry could not resist stripping the the whole thing when I got it.

Not included is the instruction menu, receipt and box
D4Package.jpg

The front of the D4
D4Front.jpg

And the underside of the D4
D4Back.jpg

A quick look at the D4 and the Amp section is very similar to D10 Both comes with 1 LR and a double op-amp buffer for a single channel.

The D4 however comes with a buffer immediately after the DAC driving, In this case it is the AD8616 which is beside the DAC, This is a welcome addition as this OP-AMP would be driving the volume pot. Unfortunately this OP-AMP is hard soldered on the board and it not roll-able. With such a design it is possible to use a lower resistance potential meter, but I have not verified if it is indeed lower in value.

The D4 does not comes with a CS8416 digital receiver, If it does it would be possible to mod this to accept a SPDIF input with 3 simple component.

Also noted that the feedback resistor on the D4 is no longer the Through hole Vishey type like the D10. All resistor are now SMD.

Out put decoupling capacitor is now 18V 470uf (Silver in colour) Which is different brand from the D10.

I noted that the relay will not be energize if you use the DAC and output via headphone, Which saves some trees and leave a smaller carbon footprint. Which I believe it is the most common configuration if you buy a D4.

It just occurred to me that without the battery it is likely that the voltage of the D4 could be higher than the D10 using just USB powered, it could be 0.5 higher but still LM4562 could not be used here. The choice of default output buffer is LMH6655 which on the D10 could sometime be problematic especially when the battery is weak. So with an additional 0.5v the choice of OP-AMP open up slightly.

The gain selection circuit is very similar to the D10 and I do not expect a wrong resistor to be soldered here
wink_face.gif
evil_smiley.gif

The reservoir capacitor for the D4 is a 10V 2200uf Cap, But looking at the space available a quick mod would be to choose a larger longer capacitor.

Another possible mod would be to install a voltage doubler like ICL7660 to charge the 9V battery, which will most likely be a NiMh 7.2v cell. Then I could say good bye to changing battery.

OP-AMP rolling with BUF634 and AD4857-1
D4rolling.jpg

Very nice findings, you must be a very happy camper right now, congratulations on your purchase.
Mine should be delivered any day now
smily_headphones1.gif

What are your second impressions, how do you think it will hold to iBasso Fi Amp OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back