iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Jan 28, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #677 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone,
I got my ie8 today and so I can now try my d4 and d10 both with topkit. I must say so far I prefer the d10 with the ie8. The d4 sounds a bit warmer and more laidback imho but since the ie8 already has those two characteristics its a bit much. AlsoI have to be VERY careful witht he d4s volume or there will be lcipping on some tracks.

I must say the d4 does seem to have a bit more space around the notes, so a bit better imaging but the ie8 already is a soundstage king so I do not mind missing this with the d10.
The d10 does seem to hiss a bit more but it goes away with low gain.
Greetings, Anouk,

Anouk, the D4 is warmer sounding with the topkit and reminds me of the P-51, so it might be better for IE8 with the stock opamps, which puts it closer to the Pico with a slightly hint of extra warmth still.

You definitely don't need high gain most of the time with the D10 and most IEM.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #678 of 1,153
Just go ahead and get it
biggrin.gif

By the way you're from Korea?

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #680 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just go ahead and get it
biggrin.gif

By the way you're from Korea?

I'm not from Korea, I am in Korea for a stint. Mostly likely, I will be buying Anouk's D4 - we shall see. I don't like to buy non-stock products, but we shall see.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #681 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not from Korea, I am in Korea for a stint. Mostly likely, I will be buying Anouk's D4 - we shall see. I don't like to buy non-stock products, but we shall see.

Which part of his is non-stock? I wonder how Ron modify his.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #682 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would bet that it doesn't have a recharging circuit because of the knurled fittings on the back. I like using the low discharge 9 volts though because they provide a better sound and then there is the 500mA liPoly or alkaline or lithium for the longer run.

it really make a difference using the low discharge tysonic 9v? cause the previous exchange of replies with larry on this thread, implies that it doesn't matter. and i should be on a lookout for higher capacity 9v, the li-ion ones.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #683 of 1,153
Quote:

it really make a difference using the low discharge tysonic 9v? cause the previous exchange of replies with larry on this thread, implies that it doesn't matter. and i should be on a lookout for higher capacity 9v, the li-ion ones.

The low discharge also have a lower internal resistance, which helps but I use the li poly all the time for the longer run time so I don't think any longer it is enough of a difference that I just use the low discharge batteries.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #684 of 1,153
Quote:

I'll admit to not having really followed this thread, but I am itching to get another amp for review and the D4 looks to be it. Anyway, we will see indeed.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #685 of 1,153
How come my D4 is louder when connected via USB than when connected via lineout to an iPod. According to my understanding, if there is no battery while it is connected to USB, the DAC and AMP share 5.5 volts and right now I am running straight lineout from iPod on battery mode 9 volts

Side Note: I just got these rechargeable batteries, and didnt know if they were precharged or not so I hooked them up to a multimeter and they read 9.13 volts so all is good on that front

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #687 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could just be that the line out from the iPod doesn't deliver the same input levels as the DAC does.

Thats really the only explanation I can think of

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #688 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by madwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very sorry to hear that you broke the cap,
But since it is connected between the output and negative input it should be a compensation cap likely 47pF only. If it act as a filter at max it is 1nF.

Adding a .1uF or a 0.01uF with make this to a low pass filter. Not advisable.

If I have a D4 I could desolder and measure with a capacitance meter.
If iBasso didn't give you an answer let me know, I see if I could borrow a D4.
and measure.

I can loan you mine.
jecklinsmile.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #689 of 1,153
The value is 1000p.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #690 of 1,153
Quote:

I did not modify Anouks D4 in any way except to add the Topkit module in L/R. I left the stock buffers in place, but included the dummies from the Topkit along with the amps when I shipped them to her.

She had her new D4 and D10 shipped directly to me for Topkit installation and testing as her eyesight precludes installing the Topkit herself and there was nobody nearby that she felt comfortable with working on her new amps.

On my own D4, the only modification other than the Topkit is the addition of the 2.2k SMD resistors as per Madwolfs diagrams. I do feel that it is an easy but worthwhile addition to the DAC circuitry.

I have not changed any of the caps on my D10 or D4 as I use them both for testing and evaluation of new opamp combos and for testing each Topkit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back