iBasso D2-Viper (Pictures, Impressions, and Reviews): Read the Rules!
Mar 7, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #61 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, as suggested above, a trip to the hardware store may be in order as it might be in metric. Metrics are available so. . . Maybe they should include one with the unit since it does come with dips.

But it's weird that one of them comes out no problem.

Mar 7, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #62 of 615
Well that is strange. Does it fit snug or is there just enough catching so that the wrench can turn it?

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #63 of 615
I have a hex-key set, but the ones on the D2 are too small. I can open the D1 since it has bigger screws.

*** You should make sure you find a key that fits perfectly or you'll risk damaging the screws. Then, you won't be able to open it at all!

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #64 of 615
Quote:

Well that is strange. Does it fit snug or is there just enough catching so that the wrench can turn it?

It definitely caught snugly. There wasn't a single turn where it was rotating freely inside it. Very odd. Hopefully somebody else with better tools can be of help. This is so ridiculous. I got the D2 so I could open it up and play with it. But my tools are holding me back! Nice pictures though everyone!

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #65 of 615
Is it a torx key or an allen wrench? It looks like an allen and if the size is off it must be a metric I would think and you don't want to round the internal.

Make sure your allen wrench isn't worn. I have a couple I have used so much they are actually worn and I have to file the end down some to get back to good clean edges.

In the above I meant torx as it is different. I actually like torx more than allen as it is much harder to mess up and I have even used a screw driver carefully to remove torx when I couldn't find my torx wrenches.

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #68 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know we are trying to not ask comparison questions with other amps, but I want an impression with a K701. If someone has tried yet or do you think it has enough current to drive them decently? If you guys think it would do rather OK then I want to order one, if not I will continue my search.

Depends on your definition of "decently" I hooked up my D2 to my Pc (used the DAC) and just for giggles Plugged my 701's into it. For reference I normally only listen to my 701's on my home rig with an SACD player, and old Sony AVR with a great headphone jack. 701's with the D2...
eek.gif
I was really truely suprised how smooth..synergy comes to mind the combo was. Volume is not a factor, on the low gain setting 12 oclock is tolerable, and 1 oclock is WAY too loud for me. But I didnt hear any clipping in either postion. You know some say you shouldnt buy a portable amp to drive 701's but Im inclined to believe that there are a few out there that can do a pretty good job at it. As good as a dedicated home amp.. No. Keep in mind my D2 has only been in my hands about 8 hours now.

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #69 of 615
So far the DAC performances still a mystery...
any idea how good is it comparing to iMod?

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #70 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on your definition of "decently" I hooked up my D2 to my Pc (used the DAC) and just for giggles Plugged my 701's into it. For reference I normally only listen to my 701's on my home rig with an SACD player, and old Sony AVR with a great headphone jack. 701's with the D2...
eek.gif
I was really truely suprised how smooth..synergy comes to mind the combo was. Volume is not a factor, on the low gain setting 12 oclock is tolerable, and 1 oclock is WAY too loud for me. But I didnt hear any clipping in either postion. You know some say you shouldnt buy a portable amp to drive 701's but Im inclined to believe that there are a few out there that can do a pretty good job at it. As good as a dedicated home amp.. No. Keep in mind my D2 has only been in my hands about 8 hours now.

The P2, which the amp of the D2 is modeled after, has a good current output so the D2 should handle most all phones, which is nice.

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #71 of 615
The hiss that the D2 makes when it is charging is annoying when you use sensitive IEMs. You can't hear it when using headphones.

I think I am getting used to the HD580 bass with the D2 now. It isn't too bad
biggrin.gif
It's sort of bright right now though.

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #72 of 615
Quote:

The P2, which the amp of the D2 is modeled after, has a good current output so the D2 should handle most all phones, which is nice.

I agree. The P2 could drive my 701's..with the volume pot cranked. As I mentioned before. I think the D2 has a lil bit more umph under the hood than the P2...Just MHO. I would say the D2 sounded better than my P2 when driving the 701's but that (may have) had more to do with the DAC (source) than anything else.

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #73 of 615
Well I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't optimize something, nothing stands still or you get passed and in this business, that doesn't take long.

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #74 of 615
Sorry this is my first amp so I can't say much, but I can say that with my Denon AH-D2000's using the DAC, they brightened the headphones up a bit, increased sound stage significantly, and you can definitely hear a lot more sounds than before. I can hear background singers in one of my songs that I had no idea about, but can be clearly and precisely heard. Imaging is improved.

The bass is also a lot more controlled. My bass used to hit hard almost uncontrollably with the D2000's, but now they're much tighter, and a lot more well rounded. (Maybe this difference is why the D2000 bass debate exists) Its like the bass was smoothed out and the impact spread out (sorry not sure how to describe it). My highs were occasionally piercing and it also seemed to control that better now making it seem warmer. Mids are brightened up and very liquid, smooth, and musical.

This is my first amp so it could just be the difference from crappy USB soundcard ampless to D2's amp + DAC, but these are the differences I noticed. I'm really curious how these will effect my UE Super.fi 5 EB.

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #75 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry this is my first amp so I can't say much, but I can say that with my Denon AH-D2000's using the DAC, they brightened the headphones up a bit, increased sound stage significantly, and you can definitely hear a lot more sounds than before. I can hear background singers in one of my songs that I had no idea about, but can be clearly and precisely heard. Imaging is improved.

The bass is also a lot more controlled. My bass used to hit hard almost uncontrollably with the D2000's, but now they're much tighter, and a lot more well rounded. (Maybe this difference is why the D2000 bass debate exists) Its like the bass was smoothed out and the impact spread out (sorry not sure how to describe it). My highs were occasionally piercing and it also seemed to control that better now making it seem warmer. Mids are brightened up and very liquid, smooth, and musical.

This is my first amp so it could just be the difference from crappy USB soundcard ampless to D2's amp + DAC, but these are the differences I noticed. I'm really curious how these will effect my UE Super.fi 5 EB.

Thanks for the impression of the amp. I think you stepped into one of the better portables around based upon my experience with the P2. I look forward to more impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back