iBasso D2-Viper (Pictures, Impressions, and Reviews): Read the Rules!
Apr 9, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #571 of 615
The scratching sound heard from the D2 volume pot varies depending on the choice of opamps...Some make no noise at all, others quite a bit. I am, at the moment, using 2 LM6622 opamps and they make a lot of noise, but it is of little consequence, as they sound superb!

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #572 of 615
hmmm your right. last night in installed two OPA2111 opamps. I just tested this - the volume scratching is gone, but now theres a loud click when i turn the knob/D2 on and off.

Also the gain click is probably 3x louder...i only just then flicked the switch, it was painfully loud with IEMs
frown.gif
I won't do that again

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #573 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by wired00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm your right. last night in installed two OPA2111 opamps. I just tested this - the volume scratching is gone, but now theres a loud click when i turn the knob/D2 on and off.

Also the gain click is probably 3x louder...i only just then flicked the switch, it was painfully loud with IEMs
frown.gif
I won't do that again

Hey, you were warned
tongue.gif

BTW, don't put your hand in fire either.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #574 of 615
Hey, can y'all comment on what phones you're driving with the D2, and how they are responding?

I guess I'm thinking primarily of power considerations with the rechargeable batteries, but certainly more poetic musings about opamp synergy or things even more esoteric would be great.

I've heard from ibasso that the next iteration is coming sooner than later...

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #575 of 615
i've used : se530, hd25, hd200 and some crappy sony mdr250's

se530 and the closed hd25 and hd200's sound fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif
Im currently using LM6172 as main opamp with THS4032 and love the combo. I have only taken note of battery life with the se530's and got ~ 18-19 hours

Love the D2
smily_headphones1.gif
Even though i've not tested any other headphone amps, I think its great to stand up against the predator and pico for a much cheaper price

May 17, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #576 of 615
can i ask,what impedance can this D2 viper take up to?can even drive those diff to drive can?and heard that viper D2 is limited edition ar?

May 17, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #577 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by iittoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i ask,what impedance can this D2 viper take up to?can even drive those diff to drive can?and heard that viper D2 is limited edition ar?

Others here are much more knowledgable, but I have AKG K240s which are 600 ohm, and the D2 works just fine. Sounds great to me in fact, but doesn't drive them super-loud. Not a problem for me.

The "D2 Viper" is the limited edition version which has opamp sockets so you can roll your own. There is supposed to be a production version of the D2 with soldered opamps due out soon. I think someone mentioned it will be called "D2 Boa".

May 18, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #578 of 615
For you super sensitive IEM lovers out there, I found that my D2 Viper makes a low volume "crack" noise every 7-10s in low gain when plugged in. This crack is basically the charging circuit checking its charge or something. It's very annoying, so I only use low noise opamps at high gain now.

Your mileage may vary though. My FreQs are sensitive to all sorts of signal imperfections.

Edit: Well it comes and goes. I'm not sure what causes it. I'll update once I figure it out.

May 18, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #579 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For you super sensitive IEM lovers out there, I found that my D2 Viper makes a low volume "crack" noise every 7-10s in low gain when plugged in. This crack is basically the charging circuit checking its charge or something. It's very annoying, so I only use low noise opamps at high gain now.

Your mileage may vary though. My FreQs are sensitive to all sorts of signal imperfections.

Edit: Well it comes and goes. I'm not sure what causes it. I'll update once I figure it out.

Did you do the "scratch the anodizing off the chassis where the PCB grounds to the rail it slide in on" mod?

May 18, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #580 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you do the "scratch the anodizing off the chassis where the PCB grounds to the rail it slide in on" mod?

No, I haven't done it, but I think it does have something to do with the grounding. I found that the cracks occur when I discharge the case by touching it, but if I leave it alone for a while, the cracking disappears. Also, the cracking doesn't occur when the amp is unplugged and running off the battery.

Oh well, it doesn't bug me much. I'm just not going to touch it often
biggrin.gif

Also, keep in mind that the cracking is very inaudible, but I listen to music at the "off" position of the D2, lol.

May 18, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #581 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I haven't done it, but I think it does have something to do with the grounding. I found that the cracks occur when I discharge the case by touching it, but if I leave it alone for a while, the cracking disappears. Also, the cracking doesn't occur when the amp is unplugged and running off the battery.

Oh well, it doesn't bug me much. I'm just not going to touch it often
biggrin.gif

Also, keep in mind that the cracking is very inaudible, but I listen to music at the "off" position of the D2, lol.

Well it is a very easy fix.

May 27, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #582 of 615
Thread revival!!

I just bought my Viper a few hours ago, really excited as I got them together with the UM2's and they are sounding great!

Was concerned about the resale value of the Viper, I read *somewhere* on the forum, that one of these iBasso amps, either the P2 or D2 were produced in very limited quantities like 150 or so.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I bought the Viper because of the DAC abilities and also due to its higher (as compared to other amps) resale value.

Thanks!!

Gerald

May 28, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #583 of 615
The initial run of Vipers were made with sockets for the opamps that allowed one to change opamps. Later Vipers had no removeable opamps, but were a bit shorter in length.

The P2 also had sockets, but no DAC. It did have 3-position gain and bass boost switches.

May 28, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #584 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it is a very easy fix.

Well, after I did the mod, some pops and minor cracks still occur but less frequently.

Should I scratch off more of the lacquer to make it better, or is that pointless?

Also, after I did the mod, a few days after, I loss my right channel, but after opening up the case and scratching a few random things, it came back, lol.

May 28, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #585 of 615
I had an LM6172 SOIC soldered onto a DIP adapter that had an intermittent left channel after the solder joint broke on one of the pins. With that I found out one shouldn't press on the center of those soldered opamps, but rather one should press on the edges to seat them. Could that be the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back