iBasso D2-Viper (Pictures, Impressions, and Reviews): Read the Rules!
Apr 1, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #556 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by wired00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahh cheers headphoneaddict

i knew it had something to do with the inside of the case
smily_headphones1.gif

A metal nail file works perfectly
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #557 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they keep the price at $200 it should sell like hot cakes. Heck it should be awesome!

i doubt it but i sure hope so
biggrin.gif
135.97 Euro for a amp like that is a steal (if i dont have douane troubles^^)

Apr 5, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #559 of 615
They are coming out with the D2 with no sockets. Shorter and with optimized opamps. They are waiting on the cases.

Apr 5, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #561 of 615
Optimized opamps? Sounds interesting.

Anyway I recieved my ALPS pot and I finally don't have this scratching sound anymore. The OPA627 arrived too and this one really sounds great. I put it into the L/R socket but I also swapped the 5532 with the one that was in the L/R socket before... it gives me a warmer sound now.

Apr 6, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #562 of 615
Apr 6, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #564 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Optimized opamps? Sounds interesting.

Anyway I recieved my ALPS pot and I finally don't have this scratching sound anymore. The OPA627 arrived too and this one really sounds great. I put it into the L/R socket but I also swapped the 5532 with the one that was in the L/R socket before... it gives me a warmer sound now.

hey MONVM, can you elaborate a little on the ALPS pot and scratching sound? I know mine makes a scratching sound when adjusting the volume...is this what your referring to?

cheers

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #565 of 615
would this work with an ipod?

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #566 of 615
Why shouldn't it work? Technically it would for sure.

@wired00: The original pot in the D2 had extremely loud scratching noise when turning it on or off. It seems to me that when you turn it on or off, the DC signal path of the switch inside of the pot contacts the audio signal path for a short moment, giving this loud noise.
Last time at night, when I stopped listening to music, I put my phones off and in the moment I turned off the amp my girl friend woke up... just to give you an idea of how loud it was. In fact I feared that this could even harm my headphones and if I had them on my head it did really hurt in my ears.

Anyway it's gone with the ALPS pot right now, though it was apparent with the original one after about a week anyway so theoretically it could happen here too... But I don't believe that it will
smily_headphones1.gif

And just for your information the "click" sound when the amp is in high gain mode is still there, because it is related to the circuit and not to the pot. But it isn't nearly as loud as the scratching sound I had before and I use the amp in low gain mode mainly anyway.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #567 of 615
Interesting. I do get a slight on and off sound but no scratching but I agree that the gain switch is loud but then I don't go back and forth with it.

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #568 of 615
yeah the gain noise has shocked the system a few times :p especially with IEM!

@Nihility yes it works with an Ipod, i use mine mainly with my ipod video and laptop

with an ipod to avoid the dodgy headphone out DAC you will need (at least) a line out dock connector like this (the amp comes with a headphone-to -headphone jack cable to use):
IPOD LINE OUT DOCK WITH STEREO JACK(BLACK VER.2)W/CABLE - eBay Other, Headphones, Headsets, A V Accessories Cables, Consumer Electronics. (end time 16-Mar-08 03:26:07 AEDST)

Basically connect a cable from the lineout/dock into the "input" on the D2, then plug your headphones into the "output" of the D2.

You can make your own dock cable or interconnect (see DIY section) or buy a pre-made full on silver/gold/etc plated setup which can cost upto $200US+

You'll quickly realise to avoid the standard headphone outputs otherwise you'll hear hissing in the background

for the laptop or computer you can avoid the headphone jack by connecting via USB cable.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

DIY interconnect threads (my next mission!):
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/how...ep-pics-50729/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/diy...gallery-71148/

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #569 of 615
Hmm... interesting, I've never had any scratchy volume pot problems and my D2 is absolutely silent in low gain mode. It's switching to Hi-Gain and turning on the unit on from high gain that gives me the "popping sound".

I do loose control of the volume pot after around the 2-3 o'clock position though, i.e. Volume doesn't increase after that, but I would never listen that loud so it's fine
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #570 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... interesting, I've never had any scratchy volume pot problems and my D2 is absolutely silent in low gain mode. It's switching to Hi-Gain and turning on the unit on from high gain that gives me the "popping sound".

I do loose control of the volume pot after around the 2-3 o'clock position though, i.e. Volume doesn't increase after that, but I would never listen that loud so it's fine
biggrin.gif

Yep mine gets that when adjusting the volume. not really a worry for me though
smily_headphones1.gif
its the gain switch which is worrying when i reach into my bag to change the volume and accidentally hit the gain switch! people on the bus must see my jump in pain lol
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back