Ibasso D2 Boa . . . new and smaller . . . with updates on 1st page. .
Jul 12, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #841 of 1,141
Ive recieved mine and i love it also
smily_headphones1.gif
Ended up getting the silver one. Had to basically draw a card out of the hat to make myself buy that particular colour. Im just waiting on my new Ipod and Dock to test out its true abilties right now. Gotta look at selling my Petite also i think!

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #842 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the impressions of the Boa have been good, I still think it is a sleeper as many don't realize or believe how good it really is. The circuit has some special features that make it what it is.

I just naturally assumed the Boa would not be as good, since it was a parallel product to the Viper, being developed at the same time, and the Viper could roll opamps for infinite possibilities in sound signature.

In reality, it seems the Boa may be an improved product, albeit with some compromises in raw power output for the sake of sound quality, size and battery life (double the battery life I think).

I can't come to any conclusions till I get 300 hours on it, and try it with every headphone in my stable. I made the mistake of reviewing the D2 Viper with 185 hours on it and with only 2 headphones, and then had to change my impressions when I had over 300 hours on it.

Jul 12, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #844 of 1,141
while it is good nice cheap portable amp, it's BEHIND my pana ct470 pdcp player ( which sounds nice , search in head-fi about it ) as a DAC .
compared same songs side by side more then twice .

Amp do his job nicely , dac not so -imo .

The pana ct470 dac ( line out ) is lil more of all ... . more then lil deeper tighter bass , not boomy at all , faster ( funnier ! ) , airier . more separation , stereowider , sound picture clearer .. more joy .. all in all better comprehension of the music ...blablablabla ... . .

Don't know if the dac of the boa needs more then 150hr to develpe though .. lets wait

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #846 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just naturally assumed the Boa would not be as good, since it was a parallel product to the Viper, being developed at the same time, and the Viper could roll opamps for infinite possibilities in sound signature.

In reality, it seems the Boa may be an improved product, albeit with some compromises in raw power output for the sake of sound quality, size and battery life (double the battery life I think).

I can't come to any conclusions till I get 300 hours on it, and try it with every headphone in my stable. I made the mistake of reviewing the D2 Viper with 185 hours on it and with only 2 headphones, and then had to change my impressions when I had over 300 hours on it.

I think you are right on the target with your comments! It is a slight overall improvement. You have also identified the only real "limitation" I have found in the little boa over the first 100+ hours. There was definitely a sacrifice in raw power to get the great sound coming out of that tiny package. I only notice it with phones that really need a major power boost, but I have to admit that once in a while I find myself wishing there was just a little more juice there. Other than that extremely minor limitation it is by far the best little amp for anywhere near the price.
One final note for anyone worried about battery life. The battery just goes and goes and goes. Pretty amazing actually.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #847 of 1,141
Hello, maybe this would be the right thread to ask this question. I am wanting to burn in my new Ibasso d2 Boa along with my new Denon AH-D2000 headphone. What exactly is the correct procedure to burn in these amps along with the headphones. I have "Pink Noise" 22050Hz FLAC but not sure how many hours I should have this running. I want to make sure I don't fry anthing in the process. What would be the appropriate gain setting and what volume level should I have my output? (PC Speakers) Also should I also be worried about white and brown noise? Thanks.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #848 of 1,141
I just make sure the volume is no louder than what I could listen to. Also I prefer regular music to pink noise. I have used pink noise but find the process to go better with music. Many people have differing opinions with some believing there is no forming/burn-in period but many have also heard it, as I have, so I let a amp run while I am not listening to it. I have never burned anything from the phones to the amp when doing this. YMMV

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #849 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cormega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, maybe this would be the right thread to ask this question. I am wanting to burn in my new Ibasso d2 Boa along with my new Denon AH-D2000 headphone. What exactly is the correct procedure to burn in these amps along with the headphones. I have "Pink Noise" 22050Hz FLAC but not sure how many hours I should have this running. I want to make sure I don't fry anthing in the process. What would be the appropriate gain setting and what volume level should I have my output? (PC Speakers) Also should I also be worried about white and brown noise? Thanks.

This probably isn't the answer you want, but I would just listen to them and enjoy them.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #850 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This probably isn't the answer you want, but I would just listen to them and enjoy them.

That's a good answer to. I enjoy hearing the changes though I do burn-in some amps more than others.

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #851 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cormega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Welcome to the boa lover's club!!
Over time you will have thousands of hours of enjoyment with you new amp.
"Burn-in" is a very subjective thing. Personally I have had many many audio components over the years and have yet to "burn" one in. It has always struck me as sort of like letting your new sports car sit nite after nite in the drive way idling to "break in" the engine. The audio signature of any sophisticated electronic component like a good headphone amp like the boa definitely changes over time and in most ways the changes are for the good.
With the boa you will note progressively more pronounced base and a deepening sound stage for example. Some people like to hurry up this "maturing process". I prefer to take my time and learn to know my new component as it settles in.
There is no harm in "burn in" except maybe a small amount of heat related wear and tear on the electronics but that is so small as to be insignificant.
If you are in a hurry, go ahead and "burn" away, otherwise just let the boa age like a wonderful wine and enjoy the process.

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #853 of 1,141
This question only indirectly involves my boa amp but I really respect the opionions of several individuals who regularly post here so I am going to throw it out.
I have finally broken down and orderd the Senn Hd650s to fit between my Stax Lamdra Signature phones and my Shure Se530s.
I plan to replace the stock cable. Of couse my first thought was Cardas, but that was shortlived. I need about a 15 foot cable and to buy an actual Cardas would cost me about as much as I paid for the phones. I just can't justify it. So I am going to build my own. I know from other threads that you can buy exactly the same cabe that Cardas uses in bulk and I am pretty sure that you can actually get the connectors from Cards fairly reasonable.
So, two questions: First is it really worth it to replace the stock cable? Even if I build it myself I am still looking at $100+. And second, anyone have any hands on experience with doing what I am planning?

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #854 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsoxfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This question only indirectly involves my boa amp but I really respect the opionions of several individuals who regularly post here so I am going to throw it out.
I have finally broken down and orderd the Senn Hd650s to fit between my Stax Lamdra Signature phones and my Shure Se530s.
I plan to replace the stock cable. Of couse my first thought was Cardas, but that was shortlived. I need about a 15 foot cable and to buy an actual Cardas would cost me about as much as I paid for the phones. I just can't justify it. So I am going to build my own. I know from other threads that you can buy exactly the same cabe that Cardas uses in bulk and I am pretty sure that you can actually get the connectors from Cards fairly reasonable.
So, two questions: First is it really worth it to replace the stock cable? Even if I build it myself I am still looking at $100+. And second, anyone have any hands on experience with doing what I am planning?

Well if you build it yourself I would really research the right kind of wire. Assuming that you would do this, and I only throw it out there because I haven't in the distant past always done that and wasted money, it is up to each person to decide if the improvement is worth it. From what I have read people that get wires they like do notice a change in transparency, detail and general impact.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #855 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if you build it yourself I would really research the right kind of wire. Assuming that you would do this, and I only throw it out there because I haven't in the distant past always done that and wasted money, it is up to each person to decide if the improvement is worth it. From what I have read people that get wires they like do notice a change in transparency, detail and general impact.

Jam,
Thanks for the input. Your response was one of the ones I was interested in. I have done enough research to be pretty clear on the type of wire and connectors that I need. I can get the same wire that the Cardas employs for about $6 a foot. I will prob go ahead and try it. I will let you know how it turns out. I am actually a little skeptical but if I can do it for around $100 I will prob try it. Unfortunately once you start with serious cable mods where does one stop I wonder.
Since I am getting the 650s to mod, I am curious about your overall impression of the 650s. I am sure you have spoken to this before, so I dont expect a lot of detail.
Jackson Browne acoustic vol 1 and 2 are currently on my play and replay list too. Excellent music. I really enjoy the way he sounds with the SE530s combined with the little boa, and of course everything sounds great through the Stax phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back