iBasso D2 and AKG K601?
Nov 18, 2010 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

konkon

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

I have been listening with simple earbuds for quite some time now straight from my MP3/Laptop, and I want to invest in something that is more substantial in audio quality. I did some research and I'm currently looking at the AKG K601. I've also looked at a variety of amps for the headphones, mostly portable ones because of space issues and I've settled on the iBasso D2 Boa. Will this little amp power the AKG's to a satisfactory level? I'm a newbie at all of this high-end stuff so my knowledge is limited and my expectations aren't too high. I'm aware that I won't really be pushing the AKG's to their limits; I just want to know whether this setup will at least provide a good sound.

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 4
Honestly, I don't think so. The k601 is supposed to be even harder than the k701 to drive. Based on my experience with the k701, I don't think any portable amps can drive either of them really well.

It may be enough for decent sound quality, but it won't make full use of them. The biggest thing i've noticed with the k701 out of a portable amp is a severe lack of bass.

I've only tried the Total Airhead and it even powers my old HD-600 quite well, but not the k701. The Ibasso may be a lot better, but I just don't suggest any portable amps.

BTW even with my Schiit Asgard I have to crank the volume to nearly 75% with my k601. When I use my DAC downstairs it's a bit lower. When I tried the DT-880 600 it was at about 90%. Of course volume doesn't really mean anything sometimes, but I've found the k601 fairly hard to drive.

I've heard the E9 can drive the k601/701 well, so that's another idea. It's "almost" portable. It's quite small it seems.

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for your input. Seeing as the iBasso D2 might not be powerful enough to run K601's, would it perhaps be enough to power something like the AKG K271 MKII? I think I read somewhere that the K271's are basically the same as the K240's, so what would be your input on that?

The E9 option sounds interesting, but I would really want an amp thats more portable, as space is limited on my desk and I do move with my laptop from place to place often. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 4
Yeah the Ibasso will drive the k271 just fine. I use my Total Airhead with my k240 all the time and it's no problem at all.
I haven't actually tried the Ibasso, but I imagine it's a bit better then the Airhead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back