iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Apr 22, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #1,876 of 4,153
So I've been using my iBasso D10 as both a home (temporarily) and portable DAC/Amp and it's been working great, however, recently it is very unreliable in listening to music through it's line in port. It sounds like there is no lower frequency sound at times, and others times it will only work for a certain amount of time. The only way I seem to get proper sound is when I don't plug my cable all the way into my LOD and leave one notch unplugged. I know it's not the source since the problem is reproducible with 3 iPod and 2 computers. That also means it's not the LOD either. It may be the cable but that doesn't seem like the problem. I know the actual D10 works since it works perfectly through USB and optical. Any ideas?

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #1,877 of 4,153
The symptoms, as you describe them, sound like a broken wire in your lead from the LOD to the Aux in. To rule that out, try a different cable.
With the cable not fully seated, you are running only one source channel thru the good wire to both channels in the amp.

Good luck, and hopefully it is something easily fixed, such as a cable.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #1,878 of 4,153
Thanks, turns out you were right! I had already checked that by switching the cable but, of course, the other cable I was using was broken as well
smily_headphones1.gif
Any recommendations on flexible, short, and inexpensive cables?

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #1,879 of 4,153
Hey ashwindsharma,

Nice to see you're using a similar (future) setup to mine. I've just ordered a D10 to use with my HD650s. First amp/dac for headphones ever. How do the HD650s sound with the D10...mine's on the way and I can't wait!

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #1,880 of 4,153
Hey ashwindsharma,

Nice to see you're using a similar (future) setup to mine. I've just ordered a D10 to use with my HD650s. First amp/dac for headphones ever. How do the HD650s sound with the D10...mine's on the way and I can't wait!

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #1,881 of 4,153
If someone wouldn't mind helping "ed-u-kate" me a bit...

From my understanding, a "topkit" is a selected opamp set to roll into an amp...and in this case includes additional assembled undercomponents to allow the dual mounting of single opamps into a native dual opamp slot.

What would be the benefit over "regular" opamp rolling? Is it just the matter of more potential opamp selection? Does battery life take an automatic hit...or is it dependent only on the opamp/buffers itself such as when rolling the D10 normally?

Any info is appreciated as it does not seem that search has brought up much on this concept.....

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #1,882 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If someone wouldn't mind helping "ed-u-kate" me a bit...

From my understanding, a "topkit" is a selected opamp set to roll into an amp...and in this case includes additional assembled undercomponents to allow the dual mounting of single opamps into a native dual opamp slot.

What would be the benefit over "regular" opamp rolling? Is it just the matter of more potential opamp selection? Does battery life take an automatic hit...or is it dependent only on the opamp/buffers itself such as when rolling the D10 normally?

Any info is appreciated as it does not seem that search has brought up much on this concept.....

My "Topkits" are simply a matching of opamps/buffers/adapters that, to my ear, sound as lifelike as is possible. I also try them with a variety of phones and IEMs to make sure they are all equally compatible. I also test the combinations with a variety of different music genre's, as all opamps do not always flatter all types of music (or phones).

I consider balance, tonal accuracy, imaging and soundstage as well as battery life. Of course the availability and cost of the devices themselves are also a consideration.

I do consider battery life, but that is secondary to the actual sound quality. All of the Topkits to date have yielded decent battery life.

I also mount all of the components using high-quality gold-plated adapters and silver-solder so that all the components are "plug and play". The user only needs to make sure they are correctly inserted into the sockets with the proper polarity.

I make no claim that my choices are the best available on an absolute scale, but rather run thru dozens of different combinations of opamps and buffers/ground devices and finally pick the combination that sounds best (most realistic) to ME! YMMV!

Please note also that this is not a business enterprise, but rather a hobby that allows me to provide a means of improving the performance of certain amps for those individuals who might not have the time or technical skills to pursue this on their own.

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #1,883 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My "Topkits" are simply a matching of opamps/buffers/adapters that, to my ear, sound as lifelike as is possible. I also try them with a variety of phones and IEMs to make sure they are all equally compatible. I also test the combinations with a variety of different music genre's, as all opamps do not always flatter all types of music (or phones).

I consider balance, tonal accuracy, imaging and soundstage as well as battery life. Of course the availability and cost of the devices themselves are also a consideration.

I do consider battery life, but that is secondary to the actual sound quality. All of the Topkits to date have yielded decent battery life.

I also mount all of the components using high-quality gold-plated adapters and silver-solder so that all the components are "plug and play". The user only needs to make sure they are correctly inserted into the sockets with the proper polarity.

I make no claim that my choices are the best available on an absolute scale, but rather run thru dozens of different combinations of opamps and buffers/ground devices and finally pick the combination that sounds best (most realistic) to ME! YMMV!

Please note also that this is not a business enterprise, but rather a hobby that allows me to provide a means of improving the performance of certain amps for those individuals who might not have the time or technical skills to pursue this on their own.

looking forward to getting my topkit from HiFlight to try out in my d10. have put about 72h on it so far and boy am i enjoying it with stock opamps. i am about to start playing with the opamps provided by ibasso.

its amazing how much amp rolling can change a listening experience; just as much as swapping headphones in my opinion. i had this experience first when upgrading my old practical devices xm4. swapping the stock opamp to the ad8620 made the xm4 seem brand new. too bad the ad8260 is not compatible with the d10. so far it has been my fav opamp.

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #1,884 of 4,153
Mine is coming up on 1000 hours and still running the stock configuration which to me is so ggod that I have had no desire to tinker with anything else.

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #1,885 of 4,153
If I hadn't been trying to make it sound good with the IE8, I'd be perfectly fine stock too. But, I'm still going to try the AD743 top kit with AD8616, since I love the AD743 in my Travagans Red and they were great in the D1 before that. Stock the D10 is like a Predator clone with a better DAC.

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #1,886 of 4,153
i'm also trying to pair it with my ie8's but i do admit that the stock opamps thus far in my short time with the d10 has been good. my ie8's still have some burning in to go through too, so i can imagine it would be a futile but at least interesting exercise to try to define a good combo at this moment for my current setup. would it be wiser for me to burn in the headphones first so that i can use them as a bar to measure opamp sound changes with the d10?

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #1,888 of 4,153
I only so far use the D10 with my Westone 3's and among all the opamps provided stock by iBasso I found that with the AD8656 in LR and LMH6643 as buffers the D10 sounds best with the W3: Extremely fast, tight and articulate throughout the whole spectrum with the mids slightly forward (possibly due to boosted upper mids) and crisp clean detail with excellent instrument separation. Soundstage is also considerably wider than with the D10's stock configuration. I will receive new opamps from HiFlight soon and I am sure to find other lovely options in them.

Apr 23, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #1,889 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddy855 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only so far use the D10 with my Westone 3's and among all the opamps provided stock by iBasso I found that with the AD8656 in LR and LMH6643 as buffers the D10 sounds best with the W3: Extremely fast, tight and articulate throughout the whole spectrum with the mids slightly forward (possibly due to boosted upper mids) and crisp clean detail with excellent instrument separation. Soundstage is also considerably wider than with the D10's stock configuration. I will receive new opamps from HiFlight soon and I am sure to find other lovely options in them.

I always tended to like the buffers bypassed when using the AD8656 in LR, but I neglected to try the LMH6643 in the buffers with it. I'll try to get a round tuit when my W3 return from being out on loan.

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #1,890 of 4,153
So far loving my D10, my only grip is the static it gives off when paired up with my Itouch 2nd gen. When i turn off the Wi-Fi the problem goes away. Although it's only a minor nuisance and I never had this problem with my predator. Aside from that digging trance on it. Pretty surprising that such a small unit can power my DT880's and HD600's, and all for under 3 bills, makes me want to sell my predator now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back