iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Apr 27, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #1,906 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ yeah well its really the soundstage and bass that has me hooked as i'm using IEMs with it usually and since any improvement in soundstage with IEMs is appreciated; i'm very happy with it. also IEMs will exibit width more than depth in soundstage; another plus

I think you would like the OPA2350 a lot. The AD743 is better with everything, but with my ES3X the OPA2450 is magical and it doesn't have the low level hiss in the background between songs when using the ES3X like the AD743. The IE8 and W3 definitely don't show hiss as easily as my ES3X or Livewires. Nevertheless, the AD743/AD8616 sounds so good I left that in the D10 and put the screws back in the case for now. At some point I need to try the OPA2350 with the RS-1 and D2000, even though it wasn't as good with the IE8 and HD600 as the AD743, because of how good it sounds with the ES3X.

To the other's asking about the RS-1 with the "topkit" - the Grado RS-1 sound really great on the D10 with the AD743/AD8616 setup. I get back a lot of the space and soundstage that I gave up when I decided to leave the flat pads on the RS-1, with good tight bass. But remember, my RS-1 have the APS V3 cable on them as well, and are an early S/N #667 (yeah, missed #666 by " " that much)

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #1,907 of 4,153
Ok I have taken out the stock buffers and am using the AD8616 with the AD743N. Pretty fierce sound. The solid bass feels like it is flexing my head. :^) well I could use a good massage.

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #1,908 of 4,153
Nice thread guys, I've been reading this thread for quite some time now. Honestly maybe too much info to take in considering 128 pages. But job well done! Anyway, I am looking to invest in a headphone configuration consisting of a headphone, an amp, and a dac.

I've recently been to a hifi store near by. Listening to a couple of AKG 601 and 701. The soundstage is amazing, maybe too bright and there is a lack of bass?. Anyway, I don't think it will satisfy my kind of music and there is the sound leakage. That experience made me look into some closed phones. The AKG K271 Studio or the K272HD (what's the difference anyway?). My thoughts is to couple that with the D10 to my laptop.

How much difference is there between the USB input and the digital counterpart on the iBasso D10?

I've no experience with previous phones or headphone amps worth mentioning, suggestions and advice are welcomed. I'm new to this board and thought of no better place to get some answers.

Best wishes.

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #1,910 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you would like the OPA2350 a lot. The AD743 is better with everything, but with my ES3X the OPA2450 is magical and it doesn't have the low level hiss in the background between songs when using the ES3X like the AD743. The IE8 and W3 definitely don't show hiss as easily as my ES3X or Livewires. Nevertheless, the AD743/AD8616 sounds so good I left that in the D10 and put the screws back in the case for now. At some point I need to try the OPA2350 with the RS-1 and D2000, even though it wasn't as good with the IE8 and HD600 as the AD743, because of how good it sounds with the ES3X.

To the other's asking about the RS-1 with the "topkit" - the Grado RS-1 sound really great on the D10 with the AD743/AD8616 setup. I get back a lot of the space and soundstage that I gave up when I decided to leave the flat pads on the RS-1, with good tight bass. But remember, my RS-1 have the APS V3 cable on them as well, and are an early S/N #667 (yeah, missed #666 by " " that much)

yeah well I was reading your post earlier about OPA2350 and I actually got Ron to add it to the topkit for me, as it does sound like its for me; also the fact that Ron mentions great synergy with westone and I will be using with westone most of the time. i've spent almost half again on opamps as the amp itself LOL. typical me; tweakin. i'm not your average tweaker though; as I still use the tweaks to enjoy the music more rather than the other way around; which I accept, but find a little confusing.

turns out i'm more of a burr brown fan than analogue devices. my kit is usually just on the warm side of transparent; and most of that comes from my headphones and only a smidge from amping and interconnects/caps. its funny I was just talking about this the other night with webbie; we seem to have pretty much the same goal, but come at it from different angles. I like a pretty detailed and nearly dry amping setup that is very transparent, but very slightly warm in the midrange, but apart from piccolino I tend to prefer copper cables; at least the signal leg is copper with silver return wires; but my headphones are on the warm side; webbie likes etys and other more clinical and dry sounding headphones, and preferrs silver the whole way through in his cables, but adds his warmth with amping. still I think my preference is for an ever so slightly warmer SQ than him, but all things considered only just. headphones will obviously influence the sound sig more than cables and amping, but synergy means that we come pretty close to meeting in the middle.

sorry for the OT guys, but its kinda related to the topic at hand considering the ability we have with the D10 to alter the SQ to a degree, along with the other changes that can be made to ones rig without changing headphones; I thought it worth a mention

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #1,912 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the D10 more powerful in driving headphones than mustang?

The output of the stock D10 is 120mA, the P-51 around 250mA. The D10 can be changed to different output opamps so you can increase it to 250mA also. It would be the same then but not more. Operating voltage is the same.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #1,913 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Many thanks for reporting.
I will try the tOPkit with my (last year) RS-1 - far behind #667 - #6922

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #1,914 of 4,153
I am sorry if I wasn't Clear enough. Is the ibasso d10 good enough to serve as a main dac/amp with a AKG 701 using the usb port to my laptop? Comparing this configuration to a pro-ject USB Box and the head box ii.

Best wishes

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #1,915 of 4,153
Yes it will drive the K701 fine. You still won't get any real bass but that is the nature of the 701.

Apr 28, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #1,916 of 4,153
I would like to replace the stock opamp with AD8599. When I opened up the amp, I saw two chip side-by-side and one on top. Is the one on top the opamp and bottom one (side-by-side) the buffers?

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #1,917 of 4,153
The single one on the top is the opamp and the 2 side-by-side are the buffers

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #1,918 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to replace the stock opamp with AD8599. When I opened up the amp, I saw two chip side-by-side and one on top. Is the one on top the opamp and bottom one (side-by-side) the buffers?

That AD8599 should work better with your Edition 9, and try that with the AD8656 buffers that came with the D10 as I found that combo a little brighter and less bassy with better bass control in the Ed 9 than stock. It has a great sense of space as well, and with the Senn IE8 was almost magical as well. The buffers make a big difference, and the AD8656 will be brighter and more energetic than the stock buffers combined with the AD8599.

Also the AD8066 may be another good choice for the Edition 9. I believe another good opamp with the Edition 9 allowing better bass control with Ed9 along with a little more brightness would be the OPA2228 and the LTC6241HV. Those two are a little better "all rounders" than the AD8599 which sounded great with Ed 9, Westone 3, Denon D2000, and Senn IE8 and HD600. The AD8599 still sounded a little thin with my Westone ES3X, Phonak Audeo, Livewires and RS-1 which are not as bass tilted as the others.

I wish I had had the chance to try this AD743/AD8616 combo (like $65) with the Edition 9 before I sold them to you to pay for my EC ZDT amp. But this might have more bass than you want.

Apr 28, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #1,919 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep, you got it. Just make sure that the "square" is on the bottom right corner, and press the edges of the adapter into the sockets, don't press on the soic chip itself.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #1,920 of 4,153
Thanks everyone, and yes I was careful not to press on the chip itself but on the edges while sitting it back on the socket.

The AD8599 really change the sound around for the Edition 9. It was really thin on the mid with stock opamp on the Edition 9. Now the viola sounds much better. However, I did realize that there is no sound coming on for 1~2 second when I first turn on my D10 even when the source is there. When I turn the unit off, I can hear sort of a hissing sound dying off. There is no such "hiss" when the unit is in operation (not powering up/down). I don't recall hearing this before rolling. May be I will try to roll the original opamp back in and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back