iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Apr 18, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #1,846 of 4,153
qusp:

faceplate on my d10 looks scratch free, however, while I know you know what a scratch looks like, the finish on the faceplate is a kind of brushed effect running horizontally could it be possible that its just part of that with one of the "lines" just catching the light perhaps more than the others?

Hiflight, any details on the topkit re contents and pricing, that would be great, thanks.

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #1,848 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Topkit for D10 will launch this week!

I'm sure this is something I have missed, but what is Topkit ?

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #1,849 of 4,153
its HiFlights recommendations for the best op-amps for a product, hes done it for the D1 and a couple of other amps so far. I guess hes been researching the best ones for the D10 and now hes ready to release his findings to the world hehe.

Dazzer: its a scratch man; I do realize its a brushed metal finish, you dont seriously think i'm that dohey do you?? dont answer that hehe

no its definitely a scratch on both panels. all the brushing is very fine and al in a consistent, horizontal direction. these 2 are in totally random angular directions and also dont go across the face. they are short and not straight either.

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #1,850 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Topkit for D10 will launch this week!

Is this the one where you have to leave the cover off the D10?

Apr 18, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #1,854 of 4,153
Yes, plug and play. :^) The term that really "fits" here.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #1,855 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this the one where you have to leave the cover off the D10?

No, that was only for testing. The kit will consist of (2) AD743 opamps silver-soldered directly to an adapter. There are no sockets, so the adapter will fit very nicely with plenty of clearance in the LR socket of the D10.

While many buffers sounded good to me, IMO, the best of all the trials was when using the AD8616. (2) of these are required as well. They are silver-soldered to a gold-plated adapter that is smaller than the browndog and will fit side-by-side in the buffer sockets without having to file edges.

The AD8616 has a very low quiescent current draw, but is capable of outputting a very respectable amount of current. It is low-noise, can swing voltage rail-to-rail, is unity gain stable and has nearly perfect squarewave response. All of these are characteristics of a really good buffer.

The AD743 has long been one of my favorite audio opamps, but is becoming very scarce, as the 8-pin DIP version is no longer being produced.

The 743 was primarily used in sonar applications but due to the very low noise and distortion specifications it works beautifully in audio applications. It is a very accurate opamp that is superbly well-balanced across the entire audio spectrum. Instruments and vocals are both reproduced very realistically.

The 743/8616 have an excellent synergy and, IMO, allows the D10 to really exhibit its full potential.

Please PM me for further details. It is not my intention for this post to be business-related, but rather a service for those who do not feel comfortable soldering small expensive devices.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #1,856 of 4,153
Ok, sorry, I had to try it. You know sometimes I get the ole soldering iron out even though after years, I don't really get into modifying that much now.

So the D10 got nonpolar Black Gates vs. stock caps. What an a tight fit. I had to move the battery over, not hard and there was room but the length of the big reds was longer as was/is the diameter. The two big 1500uf caps got changed out as did the 470uf for smaller value but totally excellent, exceptional, nonpolar red Black Gates. They are burning in. What a tight fit. Not for the faint of heart.

Now, to try that top kit, if I can get the amp open. . ?? . . . oh, I don't have a top kit. :^( well I do have pay pal. :^)

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #1,857 of 4,153
The good thing about D10 is how one can mod them with caps rolling as well....which makes me rethink the need to wait for a DAC only version....I am having very hard time here to hold my horses againt the urge to buy the current D10....hopefully iBasso will not take too long to start selling the DAC only unit

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #1,858 of 4,153
There are also some other opamps that sound quite good that I have never posted previously. The OPA2350, TLC2202, and the EL8201.

All three sound good in LR and the 8201 also does well as a buffer.

The 2350 and 2202 are DIP and do not require an adapter, although I would suggest a DIP socket to keep from damaging the rather fragile leads while inserting and removing them. I will add them to my list on page 30 of this thread.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #1,860 of 4,153
It won't be from iBasso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back