iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Feb 4, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #421 of 4,153
when will the D10 be available again? i'm anxious to get one in my hands
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #422 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, the single LIPO cell that iBasso is using in the D10 is a very high quality battery, and there should be far fewer power supply problems with this amp than with the earlier ones that used dual cells, such as the D1.

This is great news. My first D1 was replaced because of charging issues, now my current D1 has decided not to charge any longer. Fortunately, I can still run it off AC.

Any more comparisons between the D1 and D10, especially in terms of amp SQ?

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #423 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by nv88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is great news. My first D1 was replaced because of charging issues, now my current D1 has decided not to charge any longer. Fortunately, I can still run it off AC.

Any more comparisons between the D1 and D10, especially in terms of amp SQ?

Can't give you an authoritative comparison, but a hint at possible differences. I compared a D1 with rolled op amps and a stock D10 with little burn in.

I had a chance to listen to a D10 for like 20 minutes which had only several hours of burn-in. I did an A/B with my iBasso D1 (1st gen with OPA2111 & LM4562). Source was ALAC/FLAC from IHP-120 -> Optical Out -> Dx
IEM used was UE-11 Pro.
I played songs of various genres - from acoustic to rock to jazz, instrumental to electronic.

The most immediate difference to me was:
  1. D10 had clearer highs without sibilance or harshness
  2. D10 sounded more transparent. D10 was closer to my iQube while the D1 was closer to a P3 IIRC.
  3. D1 had greater bass impact, but the D10 bass was cleaner in that the low, mid and upper bass did not smudge into each other.
  4. However, with the UE-11 Pro, I almost prefer the milder bass on the D10 as the UE-11 is not bass-shy.
  5. Mids - Prefer the D10 because of the clarity advantage
  6. Headroom - The D1 seems to be able to go louder even with the D10 on high gain. But, the D10 can go softer on low gain without channel imbalance with sensitive IEMs.

Will I be upgrading from my D1 to my D10?
Do not have a straight forward answer. The D10 I tried was not fully burned -in, yet the audible difference (and form factor) makes the D10 very attractive. However, I do not plan to use my iRiver out of the house (paranoid about losing it), and plan to get a desktop amp and/or DAC so I do not need a D10. But, as I read more and more posts on this thread, I get closer and closer to getting a D10.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #424 of 4,153
The D10 is one of the top tier headphone amps, and I am very impressed with it. With no burn-in at all and right out of the box, using the stock opamps, and listening via USB it sounded as good as the D3 via USB (with several hundred hours of burn-in, maybe 600-700 hours).

I now have about 215 hours on the D10 and it has become more refined sounding. So far with the D10 fed via optical out of a Macbook, I feel it ranks up there with the top amps like the Headamp Pico, RSA Predator, Meier 3MOVE. It is also very good with my iMod portable (modded ipod), so unlike the D1 it is good out of the box with analog input while the D1 needed new opamps to sound good with analog inputs.

I hope to be at 300 hours by Sunday and can start my review in the big USB DAC amp thread. I will be reviewing it with Optical and USB inputs. So far it is very competent via USB as well.

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #426 of 4,153
How does the battery recharge? How long does the battery last?

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #427 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the battery recharge? How long does the battery last?

It has been lasting around 20 hours for me and it recharges through the USB port on the back. The USB charges the battery and supplies the current for the dac when using the USB. When using the optical it uses the battery and when using the amp section it runs off of the battery.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #428 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the Rockbox FAQ:

In general the AAC decoder in Rockbox works fairly well, however there are some known glitches such as problems with certain metadata, crashes with very long files and skipping at high bitrates (usually >192kbps). Most developers don't listen to their music in AAC, so there are few people with specific experience/focus in this area. Your best bet is to use files created by the iTunes software (not from the music store, but if you use iTunes to rip and encode a CD) as they seem to cause the fewest problems at this time. As stated above, DRM encrypted files (such as those from the iTunes Music Store) are not supported and probably never will be.

The best thing is probably to just try. Rockboxing a H140 is really easy with the Rockbox Utility.

Just scored a H-140 in what seems to be very good nick for about $150 shipped to Denmark from UK. When I get it I will RockBox it so it can take my 320KB aac files and then to try it optical with my D1 before deciding whether to go for a D10.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #429 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just scored a H-140

Congratulations! And welcome to the club of Apreciators of High-End Legacy shleppable Audio Equipment :). Real men need real joysticks on teir DAP.

Quote:

When I get it I will RockBox it so it can take my 320KB aac files

Great! Please let us and the guys at rockbox.org know if the aforementioned limitation still apply.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #430 of 4,153
It will be used as an alternative Travel Rig. For portable the convenience og the iPhone with the HF2 headset is so apealing that I can't see myself going back to a bigger (better) rig for that use.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #431 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the Rockbox FAQ:

In general the AAC decoder in Rockbox works fairly well, however there are some known glitches such as problems with certain metadata, crashes with very long files and skipping at high bitrates (usually >192kbps). Most developers don't listen to their music in AAC, so there are few people with specific experience/focus in this area. Your best bet is to use files created by the iTunes software (not from the music store, but if you use iTunes to rip and encode a CD) as they seem to cause the fewest problems at this time. As stated above, DRM encrypted files (such as those from the iTunes Music Store) are not supported and probably never will be.

The best thing is probably to just try. Rockboxing a H140 is really easy with the Rockbox Utility.

Last time I tried AAC files on my H120, they played just fine. This text may be outdated. Yes, there were problems with AAC > 192kbps at one time, but that was a while ago. Should be fine. If not, switch to Ogg, MP3, or FLAC. All work great.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #432 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jobski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when will the D10 be available again? i'm anxious to get one in my hands
biggrin.gif

I just got an email from iBasso that it will be available again in mid-February.

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #435 of 4,153
Quote:

Just scored a H-140 in what seems to be very good nick for about $150 shipped to Denmark from UK. When I get it I will RockBox it so it can take my 320KB aac files and then to try it optical with my D1 before deciding whether to go for a D10.

I am using ALAC with my rockboxed H140 with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back