iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Feb 6, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #452 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the effort, HiFlight. Noticed that you didn't list any single supply OpAmps; is this because there isn't space in the D10 for the use of 2-to-1 adaptors? If so, did you try using a few of your favourites, e.g. AD743, AD797 without the case attached, just for the fun of it?

There is not space for a DIP case style, but single-channel SOIC opamps mounted on the stacked Browndog adapter will fit. It is a very delicate soldering operation to mount these.

The AD797 will not work due to voltage, but the OPA627 sounds magnificent when coupled with the AD8656 used as buffers!

Sort of like driving a Ferrari...Very expensive, great performance, but you can't go very far on a tank of gas!

I expect battery life to suffer from this combination. I will try get an approximation of play time for this combo.

I would have to say that to my ears, this combination is right up there with the best home amps!

I still have some other opamps I want to try when I get them mounted on adapters. I will add to my list as I find others that are compatible with the D10.

****POSTSCRIPT****
After about 6 hours of listening, the OPA627 began a continuous background of white noise. Apparently, it is functioning right on the edge of its voltage envelop in the D10. Considering the very short time that it functions properly, I can no longer recommend it.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #453 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to their website and use the contact weblink over there to email them.

I've also had the best luck doing this. My two recent questions were answered within a day or two.

One of these was an inquiry on the expected life of the battery...the answer was the standard for Li-polymer cells (500 charge cycles). Of more interest is that replacement batteries will be available (from ibasso) for purchase if needed. If the D10 continues to be the only product in this niche, I may be holding on to one for as long as I can. How long will these batteries be available? They didn't say and I doubt they know.

My search for a case/pouch to house my H140 and D10 strapped together has come to a temporary end. I purchased a $14.95 Tamrac MX5378 camera lens case from B&H.

Tamrac | MX5378 M.A.S. Lens Case - Large | MX537801 | B&H Photo

The combo fits inside nearly perfect and can stand up (headphone jack up) with no stress on the optical cable if you stick a little square of foam in half of the bottom. It has a belt loop and should be perfect for some portable DAC magic while mowing the lawn.

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #454 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to their website and use the contact weblink over there to email them.

OK, thanks. I just did.

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #455 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has a belt loop and should be perfect for some portable DAC magic while mowing the lawn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That being said, this rig is still somewhat of a beast for me when exercising.

You guys are lunatics.
wink.gif

Even if an IEM sealed out 32db's of ambient noise, why would you use a dac/amp combo when exercising or lawn mowing (this is not meant to be a personal attack on anyone, I am just using the quotes for references).
The whole idea of using an iMod/amp combo or a DAP as a transport with an optical out, using a Predator or Pico or iBasso amp/dac combo, is to get the best presentation of a lossless file in a portable setup.
Unless you are fully concentrating and totally immersed in the music, without any outside interferences, then all of this seems unnecessary to me. Overkill, so to speak.

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #456 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is not space for a DIP case style, but single-channel SOIC opamps mounted on the stacked Browndog adapter will fit. It is a very delicate soldering operation to mount these.

The AD797 will not work due to voltage, but the OPA627 sounds magnificent when coupled with the AD8656 used as buffers!

Sort of like driving a Ferrari...Very expensive, great performance, but you can't go very far on a tank of gas!

I expect battery life to suffer from this combination. I will try get an approximation of play time for this combo.

I would have to say that to my ears, this combination is right up there with the best home amps!

I still have some other opamps I want to try when I get them mounted on adapters. I will add to my list as I find others that are compatible with the D10.

The D2 Viper sounded good with OPA627 but I couldn't get the case back on because the SOIC single channel over-under stacked 2:1 was one mm too tall. I will try it on the D10 later.

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #457 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are lunatics.
wink.gif

Even if an IEM sealed out 32db's of ambient noise, why would you use a dac/amp combo when exercising or lawn mowing...

I use a custom IEM with "industrial grade" earmuffs. The double hearing protection/isolation is very effective at making lawn mowers and chainsaws only a distant minor impact on the listener's enjoyment.

Quote:

The whole idea of using an iMod/amp combo or a DAP as a transport with an optical out, using a Predator or Pico or iBasso amp/dac combo, is to get the best presentation of a lossless file in a portable setup.
Unless you are fully concentrating and totally immersed in the music, without any outside interferences, then all of this seems unnecessary to me. Overkill, so to speak.

Using a DAC with the H140 instead of the regular lineout or headphone jack provides a clear improvement even in the presence of background noise. The presentation is so much more clear and enjoyable.

I've owned a 2006 MicroDAC for years which sounds great....however I was not "lunatic (
wink.gif
)" enough to try wearing that with an amp while on the move.

The D10 is just the product I've been waiting for as it allows me the higher level of quality with nearly no compromises. Not counting the optical u-cable, the H140/D10 is the same size as my previous portable rig (the H140/SR71a)...and I have to tell you...it sounds much better with the optical connection in play even with lowly LAME V1 mp3's.

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #458 of 4,153
Quote:

You guys are lunatics.
wink.gif

Even if an IEM sealed out 32db's of ambient noise, why would you use a dac/amp combo when exercising or lawn mowing (this is not meant to be a personal attack on anyone, I am just using the quotes for references).

I'll try to help you. I'm the guy who bikes/snowboards/lifts weights with my H140/D1 combo. I've thought about what you just asked every since I started using this rig. Why do I put up with this beast?

It's a good question. The answer comes down to this: The only time I have to listen to my high quality rig is when doing those things. Other times I'm either working a desk (can't have headphones on) or driving my car (have high-end, self-installed car audio system) or hanging out with family/friends, or sleeping. If you're proposing I just sit around and listen to my rig in a quiet room for hours, that would bore me to death. The fact is that my IEM's are very isolating and I think I really do hear the quality, regardless of my outside environment. In summary, I want to know that I'm listening to the best quality I can during the time I have to listen to it.

All that being said, my 8GB Sansa Clip is the first tiny player that may finally convince me to switch to a smaller form factor for exercise - on most days I think it sounds that good. Of course then what will I do with my beast rig? Dunno yet. Also, I'm not sure my 8GB Clip (with 256kbs MP3s) can totally replace my 40GB h120 loaded with FLAC files. And maybe, just maybe, my Clip does not really sound as good as my beast rig and I am making a bad move by switching to it!

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #459 of 4,153
Quote:

I use a custom IEM with "industrial grade" earmuffs. The double hearing protection/isolation is very effective at making lawn mowers and chainsaws only a distant minor impact on the listener's enjoyment.

Holy crap! I've always wanted to try that, I was wondering if anyone else ever had. Only thing stopping me is I don't have the earmuffs. My thought was doing that for long plane rides, earmuffs on top of IEMs. Totally brilliant. Only downside is your stuck with carrying the earmuffs too, so you're not quite as portable anymore.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #460 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So you used a dual adapter for the 627?

I was looking at the case last night and I have to say that I am really glad they went to the anodized semi flat black finish. To me it looks much nicer, there are no fingerprints and well, I just like the feel. I asked about this maybe a year ago and I am glad they finally went with this finish.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #461 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy crap! I've always wanted to try that, I was wondering if anyone else ever had. Only thing stopping me is I don't have the earmuffs. My thought was doing that for long plane rides, earmuffs on top of IEMs. Totally brilliant. Only downside is your stuck with carrying the earmuffs too, so you're not quite as portable anymore.

You'll look a bit daft with ear muffs.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #462 of 4,153
dude, when I'm carrying my beast rig I already look daft. Big old fanny pack on my hip! The muffs will just complement the look
beyersmile.png

Feb 7, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #464 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you used a dual adapter for the 627?
...............................snip............... ........................

Yes, I used the Browndog stacked SOIC to DIP adapter. I just fits by a hair. Unfortunately, there are very few single-channel opamps available in SOIC configuration that will play with 4.5-5 volts. I think the OPA627 is one of the few. Unfortunately the AD797 in SOIC will not come to life with 5 volts.

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #465 of 4,153
Quote:

I use a custom IEM with "industrial grade" earmuffs.

When you say "earmuffs", do you mean industrial noise protection muffs like this:

Ultimate10Blue.jpg

...or cold weather ones like this:

51ZpNMDcWPL._AA280_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back