iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Feb 3, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #406 of 4,153
I just took a quick listen w/ a pair of PX100 and ESW9 and found that after 240 hours of burn-in the soundstage had collapsed from the great sound I was hearing yesterday. Lets see what happens over the next 70 to 100 hours of additional burn-in. I was hoping for 250 hours but it seems it will be more like 300+ hours.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #408 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same as the D2 Boa, it will only run off USB power with charge set to "on", otherwise "off" disconnects the USB power from the battery and if the battery is dead it will not run till you turn the switch to "on".

Thanks for your response HeadphoneAddict. It's great to know I don't have a dud (cringes to self thinking of month long RMA's).

So if I understand correctly, you cannot use AC power with the D10 unless it is in charge mode at the same time? That seems strange as the instructions imply that the AC adapter can be used to power the device...but they also make a point (in bold) to keep the charge switch in the "Off" position when the battery does not need to be charged.

What would someone do if they wished to use the D10 as a dedicated desktop device....just leave the charge switch on and let it fry the battery over a couple of months?

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #409 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your response HeadphoneAddict. It's great to know I don't have a dud (cringes to self thinking of month long RMA's).

So if I understand correctly, you cannot use AC power with the D10 unless it is in charge mode at the same time? That seems strange as the instructions imply that the AC adapter can be used to power the device...but they also make a point (in bold) to keep the charge switch in the "Off" position when the battery does not need to be charged.

What would someone do if they wished to use the D10 as a dedicated desktop device....just leave the charge switch on and let it fry the battery over a couple of months?

I suspect there is overcharging protection implement in the circuit.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #411 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just took a quick listen w/ a pair of PX100 and ESW9 and found that after 240 hours of burn-in the soundstage had collapsed from the great sound I was hearing yesterday. Lets see what happens over the next 70 to 100 hours of additional burn-in. I was hoping for 250 hours but it seems it will be more like 300+ hours.

My D2 Boa soundstage didn't fully develop till almost 600 hours and my D1 took 450 hours to stop changing and smooth out, but my D2 Viper and D3 seemed fully developed by 300 hours. The D2 Viper went through many changes in the first 200 hours with more bass then less bass then more bass at normal levels, etc. and I thought it was done at 200 and then had to change my review results after 300 hours. But the D3 had few changes from the start other than just some extra refinement and transparency.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #412 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is....but the manual still warns against excessive charging.

Just to be on a safe side in case the overcharging protection doesn't work?

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #413 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, what does the output power of 100 mW + 100 mW signify? I thought output was supposed to be given in units of V?

Headphone amplifiers (just like speaker amplifiers) are rated in output to headphones/speakers in watts.
Most headphone amps' output is less than a watt, hence the mW. A speaker amp puts out 3-1000 watts, not volts (for example).

Input and internal rails are measured in volts.

100 mW + 100 mw means per channel. 2 channels (left and right), correct?

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #414 of 4,153
100 milliwatts per channel unless you change opamps and buffers. You can have more power if you desire with a shorter run time although. One miliwatt, one thousandth of a watt. You don't always need a lot of watts or milliwatts, just clean ones, unless your drivers need lots of power and they aren't my favorite. You could use one AD8656 opamp and bypass the buffers. Good output power and a long battery run time.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #415 of 4,153
It also depends on the impedance of your IEM/HP. As the impedance goes down, more current is needed but as impedance goes up, more voltage is needed from the amp. And impedance varies with frequency, just like loudspeakers.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #416 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well Ron has had his open. Now I will have to go and open mine. On the outside, the quality is as good as anything else in the top amps.

What a sound. . . . And what a pair with the H140 and my 120gb hard drive I installed. Now that is some tunes on the move. I have two 140's with the 120gb drive now and it is sweeet.

Ok, good shiny solder joints, very good quality chips, well the whole thing has good quality components. Looks top notch to me and I have built a lot of stuff but only a few things this small.

Where can I find the instruction to mod my H120?

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #419 of 4,153
I had the same thing with the same exact ALO cable and a treadz covered iMod and an SR-71.
Of course I also added insult to injury by forgetting a 16 bottle of Dasani in the same carry-on.
The TSA agent looked and and said (his exact words, I kid you not): "Dude, does Wyle E. Coyote ring any bells? In the future please, all we are asking is that you take it apart before going through security".
smile.gif

All I could say was, "Damn...sorry".
redface.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #420 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100 milliwatts per channel unless you change opamps and buffers. You can have more power if you desire with a shorter run time although. One miliwatt, one thousandth of a watt. You don't always need a lot of watts or milliwatts, just clean ones, unless your drivers need lots of power and they aren't my favorite. You could use one AD8656 opamp and bypass the buffers. Good output power and a long battery run time.

As John mentioned above, the AD8656 is a very good choice, and iBasso has included it in the opamp package.
I am using the AD8656 with the dummy buffers in place, and the sound is equal to a quality home amp.

I have yet to even try some of my other opamps. Maybe later.

The 8656 has been able to easily power everything I have thrown at it.

FWIW, the single LIPO cell that iBasso is using in the D10 is a very high quality battery, and there should be far fewer power supply problems with this amp than with the earlier ones that used dual cells, such as the D1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back