iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Feb 1, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #376 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass out of the D10 w/ 190 hours of burn in is very tight, deep, and clear. I has no bloat nor any smear. What bass it has is excellent, although not as much as say a Portaphile V2^2 Maxxed or the original Non M Hornet. But not many portable amps can compare with them.

But I do not miss the extra bass because the mids are so liquid and clear and have a level of detail and clarity of a home amp. The highs have further developed with a crystal clear presentation.

I know I will wait for at least 250 hours of burn-in for a comparison but man this is sounding very sweet indeed.

Damn, we are hearing the same thing. I mean often people will have a basic view that yes I agree with this and that but as far as the high freqs mids and bass, I totally agree. We also have about the same number of hours on the D10. The impact is really surprising me. The amp section controls the drivers of my Ed. 9's very, very well and the dac section has to be good or I wouldn't be hearing all of this.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #377 of 4,153
My D10 only has about 20 hours on it so far, but on first impression the amp seems OK and the DAC seems very good when output to an offboard amp (SR71a). My main interest is how the DAC will compare to my MicroDAC...but like Headphone Addict says....that will take awhile.

Besides the sound which is premature to comment on, I do have the following observations/questions on other aspects of the D10:

- The unit seems well built and has a nice overall feel. My only complaint (on the outside as I haven't opened it) is that the volume/power knob doesn't have much resistance and is a little sloppy. On the good side...zero channel imbalance even at the lowest volume.

- The high/low gain switch makes very little difference on my unit. Much less than between say, Low and Medium settings on an RSA amp.

- The volume is plenty sufficient, but it does have less overall volume output than my SR71 or SR71a.

- It's a perfect fit with the H140 and looks great when attached to the iriver. However, I'm still stumped on how to carry this thing around as it won't fit in any camera bag or case I have due to the optical cable sticking out at the bottom.

- The auto switching on this device is pretty cool, just plug in any combination you want and it just works. I do notice that everytime the signal stops (such as when manually selecting a new song), the D10 emits a small click or pop through the headphones as the device re-discovers the active input and starts working again. This has proven to be a little annoying with IEM's.

- The charger is very clever as a half USB cable and half AC adapter. The one page manual doesn't clearly say this...but does the D10 charge through USB as well? I plugged in the D10 to charge via AC...and after 10 hours there was still no change in the charge light indicator (still orange). However, it was also burning in at the time so maybe it can't show full charge if it's operating at the same time. The charge switch was "on" of course.

That's it so far.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #378 of 4,153
It does charge through the USB and it can be plugged into the computer to charge. I don't find the volume control sloppy but I do find it smooth with just the right amount of friction.

On the optical cable you can get the 90 degree adapters and the short optical cable from Sys.concept and you will have a flusher fit on the back side of the the D10.

The detail I am hearing seems to almost increase now hour by hour. With the Ed. 9 I am hearing things in detail I haven't heard before. Now to compare to Monica again.

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #379 of 4,153
I have seen camera bags in the past which are wider than they are tall and would let you put the iRiver/D10 combo in sideways, and with a 90-90 degree optical cable in a u-bend you could fit it in there nicely.

As far as my update - I have about 127 hours on mine. Sunday about midnight will be 150 hours and halfway through my burn-in. Up until now it has been sounding pretty good the whole time - with the impression that it sounds very similar to my D3 and Pico, while the Predator and XM5 or 3MOVE have a different flavor.

Yesterday I switched from burn-in with the D2000 to the RS-1 and it still sounded good, and today I have the HD600 with APS V3 cable plugged in. Tonight it has been sounding just "a little" duller and less crisp than usual. It's too dark here in the bedroom with my wife asleep to see and dig out the D2000 or RS-1, so I'll chalk it up to the changes Jamato8 was hearing at about this point.

Just for a lark I did briefly crank it up to max in high gain with HD600 and Diana Krall Live in Paris via optical out of Macbook Pro, and it was quite loud without clipping.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #381 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.. with the impression that it sounds very similar to my D3 and Pico, while the Predator and XM5 or 3MOVE have a different flavor.

Could you be more precise: D10 vs 3MOVE what do you mean "different flavour"? I'm thinking about Arietta and I have D3 so this information might help me to choose.
Is crossfeed filter in Meier's amps (3MOVE) worth of buying Arietta instead of D10 (don't saying anything about its DAC)?

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #382 of 4,153
With any present Mac model (MacBook/Pro, iMac, MacMini and MacPro), the headphone output is an optical digital/analog combo jack. So you have a choice of either USB2.0 or optical on the Mac working as digital transport for D10. There is more limitations in term of sampling rate and bit resolution for USB2.0 as compared with traditional optical digital audio interface (set up with Audio MIDI Setup utility located in Applications/Utilities folder), thus the best way is to use an optical link to connect from headphone jack (mini plug) of MacBook Pro to optical input of D10 (standard Toslink plug).

This has been the setup for connection between my iMac and various models of DAC (D1, Zero, Beresford, Octavart and DACMagic right now) working as desktop audio system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kon-Masti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the best way to connect a Macbook pro to a D10, and then a d10 to a pair of d7000s?

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #383 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. You should start a thread on it. It is nice to see more combos with optical input. The D10 does change a lot with different opamps and with burn in but then most all of these gadgets do. :^) I wish the Vulcan VB wasn't almost 400 dollars. Seems pricy to me, knowing the cost of assembly and materials in the east but then everything is going up.

i do agree it a little pricey. But for portable we only have limited choice to choose from.

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #384 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you be more precise: D10 vs 3MOVE what do you mean "different flavour"? I'm thinking about Arietta and I have D3 so this information might help me to choose.
Is crossfeed filter in Meier's amps (3MOVE) worth of buying Arietta instead of D10 (don't saying anything about its DAC)?

See here: UPDATED 01/04 REVIEW 12 USB DAC amps - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

It's a long read but it compares several of the amps you mentioned - early in the review there is the 2MOVE, then later the D3 and then some discussion of the 3MOVE even later on in the 1st and 2nd post. I will start my D10 review next weekend after 300 hours of burn-in.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #386 of 4,153
I have 100's of hours of experience with an h140/D1 optical setup as my main rig and I think the sound is amazing with AD797 opamps. Here are I think some helpful some comments, and random ramblings, after reading this D10 thread so far:

Bass - To me, the D1 bass was clearly anemic with the stock LT1364 Op amp. Other people agreed. When I added the AD797 and bypassed buffers, the bass got GREAT. Much more apparent, but still very tight, no boominess. Other people agreed with this also. So maybe there is an op amp the D10 can tolerate that will increase its bass, even if the AD797 requires too much power for it.

Ref. D10 volume knob being too easy to turn - The D1 volume knob is also too easy to turn and can be dangerous with my SE530's that don't take much volume to drive. I think iBasso should add more resistance to its volume knobs. My Portaphile V2 has nice resistance and I've never accidentally blown my ears out like i have with my D1 (ouch!).

Ref. this comment from Hi-Flight: "I have seen camera bags in the past which are wider than they are tall and would let you put the iRiver/D10 combo in sideways, and with a 90-90 degree optical cable in a u-bend you could fit it in there nicely."

I bought a bag exactly like that and it fits my H140/D1 very well. Sideways is the way to go for lowest profile. That being said, this rig is still somewhat of a beast for me when exercising. I also appeared to have put too much strain on my "Headphone" input jack (my headphone cable being pulled/torqued sideways against it I guess) and it is loose now and the sound cuts out so I'm asking for an RMA.

My Sansa Clip/SE530 has now become my gym rig of choice. Amazingly, it sounds almost as great to me and is so much more manageable. I've matched my ER-4S with my D1/H140 for more sedentary activites. The ER-4S doesn't have nearly the bass of the SE530 of course, but with the D1 loaded with AD797 is does a pretty good job and of course the ER-4S opens up more treble and overall presence that the SE530 lack.

I think iBasso has done a nice job of opening up more options for Head-fi'ers and done so at great price points. I hope the D10 proves to the next great evolution/solution for other iRiver owners, let's see how it goes...

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #387 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ref. this comment from Hi-Flight: "I have seen camera bags in the past which are wider than they are tall and would let you put the iRiver/D10 combo in sideways, and with a 90-90 degree optical cable in a u-bend you could fit it in there nicely."

Actually, that was me in post #379.

Fortunately, my D10 volume knob is not too easy to turn, and I'm sorry about your headphone jack.

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #388 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That being said, this rig is still somewhat of a beast for me when exercising.

I try to surround my self in hi-fidelity almost everywhere that I go, but there are certain places that I find that the headphone out jack is as good as you can get, and working out is one of them.
smile.gif

One of the true definitions of "The Law of Dimishing Returns".

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #389 of 4,153
Aaron, have you used the iBasso T4 amp? It is super tiny but man does it sound good.

I have been thinking of picking an 8 Gb 3rd Gen Nano to pair w/ the T4 and a low profile line out dock. Something like EFN builds.

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #390 of 4,153
I am finding that the bass is getting very good. It has improved to the point that I am totally satisfied with it.

I have tried the D10 with the UM2, Ed. 9, ESW10JPN, HD650's and all are controlled and driven extremely well.

I am very curious to hear the D10 at 400 hours and beyond. To me, at this point, it is sounding more like a home amp. I am very surprised.

edit: I realize one thing I am hearing that I didn't realize I was. The soundstage is getting huge and very wide. I mean the sound on some instruments and voices is coming from way to right and left, out of my head and in front of me. I hope it doesn't change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back