iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jan 26, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #256 of 4,153
Today I used the D10 as an stand alone amp w/ an iPod Classic. The D10 is much smaller than the D1, Lisa III, or the Xenos 1XHA-EPC, and overall not much difference w/ the LaRocco PRII MkII or the HeadRoom Micro Amp.

However I still would not carry this if only used as an amp. As an amp and dac then I can see the use and would carry it.

I used the Yuin OK1, Senn PX100, and a MarkL modded D5000. I found the sound to be very relaxed, mellow, punchy, and surprisingly organic. These short impressions are w/ 48 hours of burn-in and w/ the stock op-amp configuration.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #257 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess this is a question for someone like Ron, but for those of us with D1s that were opamp rolled (remember that whole string of posts about that?), is the D10 a must replacement for the D1 now (other than the size difference)?

I have my Sony pcpds with optical out going to a D1 and then to an iBasso P2 with ESW9s (recabled) and I am very happy.

Thoughts?

The D1 with the appropriate selection of opamps to match the source and phones used can be favorably compared to most of the latest portable amps.

Personal preferences and psychoacoustics play such an important role in our listening that it is nearly impossible to state that amp is, in absolute terms, better than another.

I think actual measured differences would be quite small between a modded D1 and its competitors.

I do believe that the D10 is a remarkable achievement by iBasso considering its size and input capabilities. It seems to me as if they have developed in their circuitry the ability to further enhance the non-measurable qualities such as a sense of soundstage realism and imaging.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #258 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We need iPods with digital output! or just a Portable Source with a Digital output - this day and age and there is still nothing besides the iriver - disgusting.

Yeah, it's too bad. I have one iRiver H140 left, and 4 PCDP with optical, and several Macintosh computers with optical, but the only way to get optical bit perfect audio out of my iPods has been my DLO HomeDock HD (which is not portable or battery powered).

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #259 of 4,153
I carried the D10 and a H140 around while we shopped and went to the book store today and this evening. The sound was outstanding. I didn't want to do anything but listen to music. Maybe that makes me selfish, but hey I did drive the car! I didn't listen to music while driving of course. I mean, in the pocket, hard drive, optical out, DAC and amp. Amazing and all saved in lossless.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #260 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I carried the D10 and a H140 around while we shopped and went to the book store today and this evening. The sound was outstanding. I didn't want to do anything but listen to music. Maybe that makes me selfish, but hey I did drive the car! I didn't listen to music while driving of course. I mean, in the pocket, hard drive, optical out, DAC and amp. Amazing and all saved in lossless.

Yeah I know the feeling. I will be going out to do grocery shopping with my family and my iRiver+PCM1793 DAC+MiniBox-E+ER-4S will be lugged in my pocket. Carrying audio bliss (Hi-Fi grade) in your pocket was something I thought not possible 5 years ago.

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #261 of 4,153
A complete aside question. My entire music collection is 320kb aac. Would that play on a rockboxed iRiver (through the optical out) ?
I know that the stock software can't play aac.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #262 of 4,153
I just got mine delivered! :-D

Now, I'm new to portable amps and don't want to break the little guy. Could anyone please confirm that the following steps are OK:

1. Charge it
2. Burn in: Attach the H 140 (line-out fo the moment because I don't have an optical mini->toslink adapter yet) and the headphones (ER6i) and play some music at a low level for 30hrs. Line-out volume of the H 140 should be as if I connected it to the stereo (close to the max) and the output volume of the D10 is set to low.
3. Profi... eh I mean: Enjoy!
4. Repeat the burn-in as soon as i have the optical cable and adapter.

The manual says that the D10 can be left plugged in without over-charging concerns, however that the battery life can be extended by putting the charging switch to the "off"-position. If I want to burn it in for 30hrs, should I use the battery or should I leave it hooked on with the charging switch to "on"? (I believe having it connected to the charger and switching charging to "off" would be the same as disconnecting it?)

I do not need to insert any of the separate opamps or dummy adapters in order to use it, right? In case I decide to roll the opaps, will they need another burn-in?

I believe the bottle neck of my setup (Flacs, H 140, D10, ER6i) are the earphones. My itching knee tells me that an Upgrade is coming.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #263 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...)320kb aac. Would that play on a rockboxed iRiver (...).

From the Rockbox FAQ:

In general the AAC decoder in Rockbox works fairly well, however there are some known glitches such as problems with certain metadata, crashes with very long files and skipping at high bitrates (usually >192kbps). Most developers don't listen to their music in AAC, so there are few people with specific experience/focus in this area. Your best bet is to use files created by the iTunes software (not from the music store, but if you use iTunes to rip and encode a CD) as they seem to cause the fewest problems at this time. As stated above, DRM encrypted files (such as those from the iTunes Music Store) are not supported and probably never will be.

The best thing is probably to just try. Rockboxing a H140 is really easy with the Rockbox Utility.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #264 of 4,153
Ibasso D10 ordered! I want to use it with my 4 PCDP`s with optical out. I have also about 10 technics and sony PCDP`s with Line Out, where the Technics SL-XP505 is the best of them! I allready have a Ray Samuels tomahawk, which I have been very satisfied with. This I use with my Imod 4th gen. A portable dac/amp is what I have been waiting for! When I ordered it, the Ibasso home page said they were sold out, so I guess I have to wait for some time before it arrive. I hope it will work well with the Sennheiser HD600, HD650 and the marklmodded D2000 Deluxe that I have. These are the phones I like the most. I mostly use my portable set-up at home. When moving around in the house, doing different things, I don`t have to take off the headphones.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #267 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, see the links in the second post here:
Replacing H120 hard drive

Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #268 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the Rockbox FAQ:

In general the AAC decoder in Rockbox works fairly well, however there are some known glitches such as problems with certain metadata, crashes with very long files and skipping at high bitrates (usually >192kbps). Most developers don't listen to their music in AAC, so there are few people with specific experience/focus in this area. Your best bet is to use files created by the iTunes software (not from the music store, but if you use iTunes to rip and encode a CD) as they seem to cause the fewest problems at this time. As stated above, DRM encrypted files (such as those from the iTunes Music Store) are not supported and probably never will be.

The best thing is probably to just try. Rockboxing a H140 is really easy with the Rockbox Utility.

Thanks. I'm not sure that I will bother to try getting one in that case.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #269 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered on the 18th and it shipped on the 23rd. By the 24th mine made it as far as Ohio, so should be in Denver Monday and Colorado Springs Tuesday.

Unfortunately, they will hold it until I get mine since I ordered on the 17th
evil_smiley.gif

PS - To bpfiguer: I hope yours comes soon, we're in this one together
smile.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #270 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I used the D10 as an stand alone amp w/ an iPod Classic. The D1 is much smaller than the D1, Lisa III, or the Xenos 1XHA-EPC, and overall not much difference w/ the LaRocco PRII MkII or the HeadRoom Micro Amp.

Arrgh even though I don't actually need a portable, I have an urge to order one these, even though I'm sure the Zero/Compass/Zhaolu/Octavart squad will do a better job driving my K400's.
And discriptions like this is not making it easier not to push the button, but I better keep my head cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back