iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jan 26, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #271 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by burgunder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arrgh even though I don't actually need a portable, I have an urge to order one these, even though I'm sure the Zero/Compass/Zhaolu/Octavart squad will do a better job driving my K400's.
And discriptions like this is not making it easier not to push the button, but I better keep my head cold.

Why are you doing this to yourself?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quit agonizing and just order it already. You'll feel better. Head-Fi is not about keeping your wallet comfortable. People have spent more than this on Beanie Babies. In a fight, a portable amp can hurt your opponent more than a bunch of sissy Beanie Babies
evil_smiley.gif

Hope this helps, burgunder.
devil_face.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #273 of 4,153
I notice as I pass 70 hours on the D10 that the detail has picked up and the spatial presentation of the sound has opened up more. As normal, it looks like a few hundred hours to know for sure where it ends up.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #275 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D1 with the appropriate selection of opamps to match the source and phones used can be favorably compared to most of the latest portable amps.

Personal preferences and psychoacoustics play such an important role in our listening that it is nearly impossible to state that amp is, in absolute terms, better than another.

I think actual measured differences would be quite small between a modded D1 and its competitors.

I do believe that the D10 is a remarkable achievement by iBasso considering its size and input capabilities. It seems to me as if they have developed in their circuitry the ability to further enhance the non-measurable qualities such as a sense of soundstage realism and imaging.

Thanks, Ron. I just put my wallet back in my pocket! First time I ever did that on here!!!! (I've got to look up psychoacoustics and see if I am missing any!!!!!!!!)

It's so good to know that iBasso is making such good strides with their DACs and amps. I know that there have been quite a few Headfiers who have made suggestions to iBasso about how to improve their products and it looks like this is paying off. This is one of the benefits of this site beyond being a great resource for consumers.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #276 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, they will hold it until I get mine since I ordered on the 17th
evil_smiley.gif

PS - To bpfiguer: I hope yours comes soon, we're in this one together
smile.gif

Mine arrived today!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I'm not sure that I will bother to try getting one in that case.

I use Apple Lossless 600-1000 kbps files in my Rockboxed H140 all the time without issues.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #277 of 4,153
I just got my very short optical cable from Sys.concept. what a service, Joseph is great. Anyway to have custom, at no extra cost, optical cables of qualities is great. Now with the 90 degree adapter the cable lays flat against the back of the iRiver/D10 combo though it could have been 2cm shorter. I informed Joseph of this so he will know how short he can make the cable for this combination.

And the D10 is really opening up. I am getting a very large and focussed sound stage. Almost tube like in presentation.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #278 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my very short optical cable from Sys.concept. what a service, Joseph is great. Anyway to have custom, at no extra cost, optical cables of qualities is great. Now with the 90 degree adapter the cable lays flat against the back of the iRiver/D10 combo though it could have been 2cm shorter. I informed Joseph of this so he will know how short he can make the cable for this combination.

And the D10 is really opening up. I am getting a very large and focussed sound stage. Almost tube like in presentation.

Jam, any new pics of your rig with your new optical cable?
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #279 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OT here: Can the HD in the H120 be replaced with a higher capacity HD?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, see the links in the second post here:
Replacing H120 hard drive

Anyone knows where I could find a Toshiba 40 gigabyte MK4007GAL. It fits the iRiver H120. Thanks.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #280 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice as I pass 70 hours on the D10 that the detail has picked up and the spatial presentation of the sound has opened up more. As normal, it looks like a few hundred hours to know for sure where it ends up.

Funny you should mention this. A short time ago I took a quick listen (72 hours of burn in) and noticed it has a nice wide soundstage w/ good depth. I posted as much in another thread. IMO the sound retains the mellow and relaxed presentation untill it needs to "get down".

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #281 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone knows where I could find a Toshiba 40 gigabyte MK4007GAL. It fits the iRiver H120. Thanks.

Is the MK4007GAL a single or double platter drive?

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #283 of 4,153
With 3 hours on it and feeding it USB, my D10 sounds much better with my APS V3 cabled RS-1 so far than it does with my ESW10 which seem a little flat with it. I REALLY like it with the RS-1. I have to dig out my old sysconcept.ca cables that I haven't used since I traded my D1 for a Stax Pro energizer, and then I can check out the optical.

I can't do all my iBasso comparisons yet, as Casey at Nuforce has my D3 to play with till next week or so, and jma790 bought my D2 Viper; but out of the box via USB DAC the D10 is better than my D2 Boa. It's at least as good as I recall the D3 out of the box sounded, and the D3 was one of those amps that didn't need burn-in to sound good even though it still improved some with burn-in. (The 3MOVE also sounded great out of the box but it was a b-stock and may have had all the burn-in done for me).

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #285 of 4,153
GAL is single platter and GAH is dual platter. The MK4007GAL is hard to find and expensive. They show up on ebay from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back