iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Sep 23, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #436 of 612
Putting 32gb SDHC or even 64gb CF is worth it for me. They are faster than HDD, no mechanical noise, uses less power and no worries of HDD failing. You would need to Rockbox to use them. Also, use an external DAC/amp with an optical input to bypass the iHP120's internal DAC.

Quote:
Do any of you know how an Ultrasone Pro 900 would sound out of this? And to those of you who have the Irivers, I am getting an H120 in the mail and would like to know if it is worth it to put in a 32gb SSD. Also, your impressions on Rockbox would be helpful.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #437 of 612
I would really like to install a CF card of 64gb or if they come out with a 128 but the price. . . . I hope it comes down. Also for some reason, some seem to work better than others. Ron (HiFlight) has a lot of experience with the CF cards. As noted, they are fast and preserve the battery even more. 

Any 128gb drives out there? 

Off to drink sakau now. Only done here in Pohnpei. No where else in the world. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #438 of 612
I have put a 32gb CF card in 2 of my H120's and have been very pleased with the results.  I can think of no negatives at all, except maybe the cost of the card and adapter.  Not all adapters and CF cards will work.  I used the same brand card and adapter both times and had no problem with the installation. 

Quote:
Putting 32gb SDHC or even 64gb CF is worth it for me. They are faster than HDD, no mechanical noise, uses less power and no worries of HDD failing. You would need to Rockbox to use them. Also, use an external DAC/amp with an optical input to bypass the iHP120's internal DAC.

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #441 of 612

Quote:
I have put a 32gb SD card in 2 of my H120's and have been very pleased with the results.  I can think of no negatives at all, except maybe the cost of the card and adapter.  Not all adapters and CF cards will work.  I used the same brand card and adapter both times and had no problem with the installation. 

So Ron, I have forgotten, what brand did you use? The cost of the 64gb CF cards has come down quite a bit. That would be nice for the 120gb. I have forgotten what adapters I used and have refresh my memory, if that is possible. :^)

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #442 of 612
Below are the adapter and CF card that I used in my H120's.  I got the CF card from NewEgg, but they are now out of stock.  These worked fine, but I can't speak for other brands or specs.  

Adaptor:  http://www.ameri-rack.com/APA-CF18T_m.html
SD Card: 
_200_0.jpg

_50_0.jpg

View larger image(s)

A-DATA 32GB 533X Compact Flash (CF) Card

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #443 of 612
I have a question for all you guys/gals that have reterminated headphones so that you can use the balanced out on the Toucan. I just reterminated my d7000's to a 4 pin XLR and then made a 4 pin XLR to hr10a-7p-6p along with a 4 pin XLR to 1/4" TRS. Everything is working fine but when there is no music playing I can hear a slight hissing sound when using the 4 pin XLR to hr10a-7p-6p. I do not hear this when using the 4 pin XLR to 1/4" TRS. Did I mess something up on the interconnect or is this normal? From what I can tell all my solder joints look to be fine.

Side Note: I think the hr10a-7p-6p are a pain to work with.

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #444 of 612
George you should PM HiFlight, he has converted two of his H120 to use a 32 Gb CF and he loves it. I went with an 80 Gb HD instead since I wanted to carry more music. I have RockBox version 3.6 and it is very easy to use and the sound is very good.

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #445 of 612
Oh, I have an adapter or two but I have no idea where they are. Most likely back in the states. 

edit, Nope, no adapters here with me. I remember trying a CF card but it didn't work so I do have adapters but not here. Too bad they aren't available. I wonder if stock will come back. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #447 of 612
If the channels are properly oriented left to right and in phase, it is doubtful that the hiss is from your wiring.   You might hear some hiss if the phones are not phased properly.  If you want to email me, I can send you 2 small sound files to check for proper phasing.  

Quote:
I have a question for all you guys/gals that have reterminated headphones so that you can use the balanced out on the Toucan. I just reterminated my d7000's to a 4 pin XLR and then made a 4 pin XLR to hr10a-7p-6p along with a 4 pin XLR to 1/4" TRS. Everything is working fine but when there is no music playing I can hear a slight hissing sound when using the 4 pin XLR to hr10a-7p-6p. I do not hear this when using the 4 pin XLR to 1/4" TRS. Did I mess something up on the interconnect or is this normal? From what I can tell all my solder joints look to be fine.

Side Note: I think the hr10a-7p-6p are a pain to work with.

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #449 of 612
Yeah, the 64gb CF card, which is actually a little hardier as compared to the card above is around 179. I use both types of cards, CF for my Canons and the SD for my Leica but really prefer the CF cards. The 16gb cards in SD though are a good price but the CF cards are much faster and download way faster than the fastest SD card. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #450 of 612

Quote:
Yeah, the 64gb CF card, which is actually a little hardier as compared to the card above is around 179. I use both types of cards, CF for my Canons and the SD for my Leica but really prefer the CF cards. The 16gb cards in SD though are a good price but the CF cards are much faster and download way faster than the fastest SD card. 

CFs are good, no adapter needed for iHP120/140. I want a 128gb CFs (still very pricey). However, CFs are hit or miss with iHP120/140. There are some brands (like the Transcend) that does not work with iHP120/140. As far as I know, the ADATA and the PRETEC brands work. I'm sure there are others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back