iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Sep 11, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #377 of 612
You have to look over the connector to judge where to cut it. I use a fine hacksaw blade. Also, internal, there is a small brass tube that you will get rid of but this tube is perfect for matching up the internal optical cable so when closed, the to optical ends will be matched up perfectly. I used super glue to cement the two sections and used a rubber band to hold them together for an hour or so. 

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #379 of 612
Very nice. What cable is that for the IEM's and the dac and amp? 

If you can try to find the toggle remote. It is very difficult to find but works much better than the stock remote. It was made for the later iRiver. I liked it so much I bought a back up. They come up from time to time on ebay. I got both of mine as NOS. 

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #381 of 612
jamato you are so far ahead it is not even funny! 
biggrin.gif
 I have ordered the short optical from Sys Concept Inc and I am in conversations with HiFlight to re-terminate a Lune Silver cable to Hirose. More to come, cheers!

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #382 of 612
I changed over one of my iRiver H140's to coax out. It sounds very promising. I like what I hear so far. 

I went the route of using the input socket, therefore preserving the optical input so the iRiver can use either coax output from the former input socket (which I never used) or optical output. With the coax you have to have the optical turned on or there is no signal to the coax. The modification isn't difficult but takes a little thinking as you progress. Now to make a nice digital cable for the work as I am using an off the shelf cheapo that came with a cheap camera. 

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #386 of 612

Quote:
Wow, that cable looks very nice. I am about to make my own cable for the PB1 would a 22g wire work?

22 gauge wires should still fit inside each of the Hirose hollow pins.

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #388 of 612

Quote:
I changed over one of my iRiver H140's to coax out. It sounds very promising. I like what I hear so far. 

I went the route of using the input socket, therefore preserving the optical input so the iRiver can use either coax output from the former input socket (which I never used) or optical output. With the coax you have to have the optical turned on or there is no signal to the coax. The modification isn't difficult but takes a little thinking as you progress. Now to make a nice digital cable for the work as I am using an off the shelf cheapo that came with a cheap camera. 

I wish there was somewhere/somebody that we could send an H140 to and upgrade the hard disk, battery and give it both optical and coax out like yours.  I also never use the optical input or analog input on the H140, and could give that up for coax out.  

Right now I'm using my HM-801 instead of the H140, with 24/96 music and using the line out.  In my bedside rig that's feeding a highly modified Stax SR-001 Mk2.  Before that I used to use the H140 > HR Micro DAC or D10 as source in my bedside rig.  So, upgrades are not a high priority for the iRiver just yet.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #389 of 612
Yeah, going to 120gb HD and changing out the battery when needed is nice. The iRiver has proved to be a very durable and useable source. Now with optical and coax out, it is a mini package of many uses. 

The coax out is different sounding. I need more time, it sound is rounder, or more analog and possibly more detail but I really need to do direct comparisons and make a good digital cable for the setup. Right now the digital cable is a real compromise but the sound even with that is still excellent. 

edit: I am listening to "Out West" Lucinda Williams and the dynamics now will scare the hell out of you, well me anyway. :^) Wow. . . There is such clarity to the control and transparency. I still look forward to making a "quality" digital cable. While I know a longer cable of a few feet works better, due to reflections, this one will be about 4cm, as for me, that is reasonable for a portable though a long one might be interesting to compare to. Some say bits are bits but it is what happens to those bits in transit that can affect the sound at the other end. Hey, it's all good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back