iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Sep 6, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #346 of 612
Gents, I've been lurking for a little while and think I may well push the button on the Toucan but need a little advice if you don't mind.

My source would be lossless tunes via an ALO 240gb imod. Is there benefit in getting the Boomslang also? So imod >> Boomslang >> Toucan.

Sep 6, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #347 of 612

Quote:
Gents, I've been lurking for a little while and think I may well push the button on the Toucan but need a little advice if you don't mind.

My source would be lossless tunes via an ALO 240gb imod. Is there benefit in getting the Boomslang also? So imod >> Boomslang >> Toucan.

The only way to use the Boomsland is by coax, optical or the USB input. If you use a USB from your computer then you could have a fully balanced system. With the imod, would wouldn't have an input for the balanced dac. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #349 of 612

Quote:
So how is Cypher Labs extracting digital from Apple USB to Solo USB?

I guess through modification, which can be done to any dac but it often isn't cheap or easy, as is the iRiver. It would be great to find out. Maybe you could inquire. It would be great to know!

I have converted optical out to digital coaxal out and worked from the dac before but that was modification, not a straight out from the source that was already available. 

edit: I remember now that you can buy a license agreement from Apple and get to the digital signal but the license is fairly expensive. Wadia has done this with their home dock device. It came out a couple of years ago. 

Ok, I read about the product you mentioned. It isn't available, with a possible Fall release and it appears to use the deciphering from Apple. It also is fairly expensive and already has the dac built in so I am not sure how you would use that with the balanced Boomslang dac and the output from their dac is single ended. It would work with the Toucan but not the Boomslang as the output of the Cypher Labs unit is SE but if coaxal, then you would have an iPod to the Cypher Labs to the Boomslang to the Toucan.  

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #351 of 612
Yes, I have done it with other units, not the iRiver. If you do please post some images. That would be great! I would like to have one of my iRivers with coax out. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #353 of 612
Thank you very much for the link. I am glad I brought my temp control soldering station with me. I just got a nice magnifier and light so i should be ready to go. I have some very hard to get optical and coax out pcb mount Sharp brand. I will check size.  It is nice they have the circuit already in place as I had to make up the circuit before to convert form optical to coax. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #354 of 612
Can't wait for your impressions. 
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #355 of 612
Oh, all you have to do is get rid of the line out connection and wire for coax out at that point and you can use the same socket. I never use the line out function. You could cut the trace on the line out and just solder digital signal to the pad and use the tip connection of the TRS. I think I have 6 iRivers with me so I will convert one or two of the. 

The only thing is I don't have a quality RCA with me. I don't like using RCA's for digital anyway but will still make up a mini to RCA IC. I don't like RCA's anyway, not even in regular audio. They are an abortion. On my home system, that I haven't seen now for a few years since traveling all the time, I made my own connectors of pure dead soft silver and of the gauge I wanted. In a digital cable it has actually been shown that a length of around 2 or 3 feet is better than shorter due to reflections but this will be a connector of about 1 inch or so. And then there is impedance. . . 

Sep 7, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #358 of 612
i have a ipod nano 4G. was planning to get the protector to pair it with my JH13 but now I am considering the toucan. I have no intention of getting the boomslang as I am not much of an extreme audiophile but I do want my music to sound nice. Is it wiser to go with the toucan or protector for my case?

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #359 of 612

Quote:
i have a ipod nano 4G. was planning to get the protector to pair it with my JH13 but now I am considering the toucan. I have no intention of getting the boomslang as I am not much of an extreme audiophile but I do want my music to sound nice. Is it wiser to go with the toucan or protector for my case?

FWIW, after receiving my Toucan, I sold my Protector and haven't looked back.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back