iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Aug 21, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #241 of 612
This combo should be very attractive for people with limited space on their desks of for those who travel a lot and use a laptop as their source. Should provide top sound, sure look forward to testing one.

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #242 of 612

Quote:
Can you make any headphones or IEMs balanced by adding a terminal or only certain pairs. I have a pair of DBA-02 coming and was wondering if those are worth putting a balanced terminal on if possible.

Most IEMs and headphones with dual-entry cables can be balanced by simply reterminating with the appropriate adapter, in the case of the PB1, the Hirose male adapter.  The correct balanced wiring schematic as been posted several times. 

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #243 of 612

Quote:
This combo should be very attractive for people with limited space on their desks of for those who travel a lot and use a laptop as their source. Should provide top sound, sure look forward to testing one.

It es for me. I'm restricted to desk space in my dorm room; bringing as high of a quality setup with me to the library would be great. I've been thinking about the DAC from day 1 but I don't think my finances are ready; that and I don't really need it lol.

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #244 of 612
Again, using what I was going to sell, my HF2 balanced (which made all the difference), the sound just gets better and better. It appears to me that the PB1 really benefits from play time. The sound becomes more transparent and the highs gain more refinement. The bass, which started off as excellent, has more detail and control though I thought it was already fine. I look forward to using the balanced dac. 

Dull silver finish for the balanced dac and amp. 

Aug 23, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #245 of 612

Quote:
Again, using what I was going to sell, my HF2 balanced (which made all the difference), the sound just gets better and better. It appears to me that the PB1 really benefits from play time. The sound becomes more transparent and the highs gain more refinement. The bass, which started off as excellent, has more detail and control though I thought it was already fine. I look forward to using the balanced dac. 

Are my eyes playing tricks, or is the amp on top wider than the DAC on the bottom?

Aug 23, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #246 of 612

Quote:
Are my eyes playing tricks, or is the amp on top wider than the DAC on the bottom?

You have tricky eyes. :^)   The cases are the same size. 

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #247 of 612
Two questions on the PB1/Boomslang:

1.  They each obviously come with a charger.  Is it the same charger for both?

2.  It sounds like it is possible to get SE output out of the Boomslang fed PB1 (in the interim) until the user has a balanced phone available?

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #250 of 612

this color looks realy nice... if the cable can match too will be even better..  Hee Hee

Quote:

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #251 of 612

Quote:
this color looks realy nice... if the cable can match too will be even better..  Hee Hee

yeah given the history of balanced connection deeply rooted in the recording studio, I would have much preferred a sheathed cable like in a black silicone tube.

..but at the same time, given the history of balanced audio around these woulds, I half expected iBasso to release a litz braided cable as well
dt880smile.png

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #253 of 612

Quote:
D you think the DB1 N PB1 combo would do the T1 justice in balanced mode? I'm sure it will power it but will it make it shine...

HiFlight seems to be powering everything with great results, and he has a pretty big array of phones. 

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #254 of 612
I don't think he was questioning whether it could "power" it, I think he was asking whether or not it would be a good combo...  I'd rather not speculate on things I haven't used yet though (the DAC in particular).

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #255 of 612
does the battery drain less when using the toucan in singled ended mode versus balanced mode?

i wonder why ibasso lists the battery life as "more than 20 hours" rather than set a fixed figure like they do for all their other amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back