Fender fxa7
SW3
IT03
LZ A3S

Thanks

quantity fxa7, sw3, it03, lza3s
quality it03, fxa7, sw3, lza3s

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #557 of 3,344
  Try this with the IT03. With what ever tip works for you, at least on the IT03 tips, push it all the way on so it the end of the nozzle is flush with the end of the tip. I use small and it works fine with them. Listen and see what you think. 

150 hours! Found the right tips (Stock short, large bore).

Game on.

Followed suit and tried the stock tips w/short length and wide bore, shoved all the way down as both suggestions here (normally just bypass an IEM's stock tips, figuring I've got other options which always prove to work out better).... wow, really takes this IEM to a whole new level. I used to think the midrange was a bit thin and slightly pulled back, but now it's much more full bodied, lifelike and rich. This is really something else to hear this much difference. Already realized this is a killer IEM, but now I'm even more enamored with it. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #558 of 3,344
  For those interested, my review is up: https://twister6.com/2016/10/02/ibasso-it03/ and coming soon to Head-fi.

Thanks for the review twister. If it's not too much trouble can you please comment on the output from the Westone bluetooth MMCX cable (specifically hiss levels)? Do you also happen to have the LEAR bluetooth cable as well?

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #559 of 3,344
Spent another hour with the IT03, this time auditioning alongside the Andromeda. The IT03 was fitted with the short silicone tips. The Andromeda is certainly more efficient than the IT03. Had to dial up/down the volume a couple of notches for suitable volume matching.

Not sure how many hours this particular unit had, but it sounded similar to the set which I previously auditioned.

Coherence issues didn't seem to be too much of an issue this time. It was still there, but the disjointed-ness was only apparent with selected tracks.

I still don't find the IT03 to have good staging properties. Overall sense of space is actually really good, as is with separation. But imaging and layering were still only average, and was very apparent as compared to the Andromedas side-by-side.

I also continued to find the texture and timbre of instruments (primarily in the high frequencies) of the IT03 to be average.

The bass of the IT03 though... amazing. This was probably the one aspect where the IT03 held its own against the Andromeda. I wouldn't call one superior to other, but my preference for some rumble and slow decay meant that I leaned more towards to the IT03.

Final point here. Using this set of tips was really a life-saver in terms of fit and comfort. No longer did I have to continually fiddle with the insertion to obtain consistent seal and sound in both sides. I'm not sure how it would hold up against head movement, but in a stationary position, I was for the first time able to label the IT03 as decently comfortable.

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #560 of 3,344
So everytime I read a short review of IT03, there is a problem of coherency between the drivers. Can anybody explain it to me what is it? Is it that some frequencies are missing in between the drivers?

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #561 of 3,344
Imo the price makes it difficult to find fault with it. Recommended 150 hours is a must though.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #563 of 3,344

Spent another hour with the IT03, this time auditioning alongside the Andromeda. The IT03 was fitted with the short silicone tips. The Andromeda is certainly more efficient than the IT03. Had to dial up/down the volume a couple of notches for suitable volume matching.

Not sure how many hours this particular unit had, but it sounded similar to the set which I previously auditioned.

Coherence issues didn't seem to be too much of an issue this time. It was still there, but the disjointed-ness was only apparent with selected tracks.

I still don't find the IT03 to have good staging properties. Overall sense of space is actually really good, as is with separation. But imaging and layering were still only average, and was very apparent as compared to the Andromedas side-by-side.

I also continued to find the texture and timbre of instruments (primarily in the high frequencies) of the IT03 to be average.

The bass of the IT03 though... amazing. This was probably the one aspect where the IT03 held its own against the Andromeda. I wouldn't call one superior to other, but my preference for some rumble and slow decay meant that I leaned more towards to the IT03.

Final point here. Using this set of tips was really a life-saver in terms of fit and comfort. No longer did I have to continually fiddle with the insertion to obtain consistent seal and sound in both sides. I'm not sure how it would hold up against head movement, but in a stationary position, I was for the first time able to label the IT03 as decently comfortable.

I didn't refer to these as iBass-Oh!!! by accident
wink.gif
  And to be more specific, IT03 has among the top sub-bass presentations I heard in IEMs.  I think these will appeal not only to Andromeda but also to SE846 fans if you like the low end aspect of those IEMs.

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #564 of 3,344
  So everytime I read a short review of IT03, there is a problem of coherency between the drivers. Can anybody explain it to me what is it? Is it that some frequencies are missing in between the drivers?

Its a bit strange when reports also praise the balanced tuning between all 3 drivers! There is certainly no 'problems' with the IT03's
I think I can confidently say that no-one is going to dislike these earphones. Its only those who prefer a specific type of sound that may prefer
other earphones over this one. Its takes a pretty experienced ear to define where this earphone could be improved and at this price range
Im not sure how you could really fault them!
I wonder whether its more than when IEM's such as the IT03 are implimented especially well you can't but help compare them to TOTL IEM's 
and as such and so the differences may well be discussed? which is a little unfair as the IT03's are not offered / tuned / priced as TOTL!

Anyway, personally there is no such issue for me. As has been discussed the IT03's do need at least 150 hours of burn in
Im getting up towards the 300 mark if anything the balance between the drivers is getting better and better
Everything feels very settled in and relaxed now.
I gave them to a 'non-audiophile' friend to listen to and he was pretty blown away by the sound saying they were just "a delight to listen to" :)

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #565 of 3,344

I don't have a problem with coherency. I listen to a lot of classical and the bass foundation integrates seamlessly. Those who are used to using total BA based IEM's will notice more bass and lower bass because in general, a BA can't go this low or as profoundly. To me the sound equates to what I often hear in live performances but not in reproduced. If bass jumps out at me then there is a problem but I don't get this, unless I tune my ears to monitors that have less bass production in quality and depth. I find that the tonality of wind and string instruments to be great and the sound harmonically right. Timber is on, as I can hear the difference easily between the various types of instruments being played. 

The sweet overtones on the lead violin and the emotion of the music is captured. This is what reproduction is about, to get you as close as possible to what the composer was seeking. And for me, the soundstage is well portrayed, I get a feeling of placement, layering and depth. No these are not my the same as my current reference, the Utopia but as I have mentioned in other posts, the IT03l connect me to the music and event with a musical quality that is better than many of my other monitors. How many have heard a double bass in the lower registers as it reverberates in a small hall, as it surges and pulls you along with the music? I get this, amazingly, with these IEM's. 

No, no frequencies are missing. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #566 of 3,344
I don't perceive the IT03 as having a problem with coherency at all, and would even say the opposite. However, what I do find is that the dynamic driver in the IT03 is not as detailed/resolving as its BA drivers and that there are (however more expensive) hybrid IEMs that have a more detailed (not faster though) bottom end, but looking at the hybrid competition at the price point, the IT03 is easily among the better and has the advantage of having a rather unique sub-bass driven sound signature that not too many in-ears/headphones have. And despite having a strong sub-bass, it is quick and controlled and not soft at all.

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #567 of 3,344
Quote:Originally Posted by twister6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  For those interested, my review is up: https://twister6.com/2016/10/02/ibasso-it03/ and coming soon to Head-fi.

Thanks so much twister6 I was hoping someone would review and add the details you did 
Seems we are all pretty much in accord that these are wonderful earphones :)

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #569 of 3,344
  I don't perceive the IT03 as having a problem with coherency at all, and would even say the opposite. However, what I do find is that the dynamic driver in the IT03 is not as detailed/resolving as its BA drivers and that there are (however more expensive) hybrid IEMs that have a more detailed (not faster though) bottom end, but looking at the hybrid competition at the price point, the IT03 is easily among the better and has the advantage of having a rather unique sub-bass driven sound signature that not too many in-ears/headphones have. And despite having a strong sub-bass, it is quick and controlled and not soft at all.

When is your review coming? I am eagerly waiting for your review. From Twister6 review they are very good for their price.I want some more reviews before I jump into it.

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #570 of 3,344
  I've almost read the entire topic and saw a few people using the DX80. Great synergy with the IT03? No hiss at all?

That would be my next portable setup; IT 03 + DX80 (or DX90)

Just a (pretty) modest amount of hiss at low levels. Not even bothersome at all, and that's coming from someone who is quite sensitive to hiss. There are a few more hiss-prone IEMs than the IT03 where his becomes bothersome in a quiet environment, but with the IT03 it's all good.

When is your review coming? I am eagerly waiting for your review. From Twister6 review they are very good for their price.I want some more reviews before I jump into it.

Probably 2 weeks, probably more - we'll see. It's a great and unique hybrid IEM and the (from what I perceive) somewhat less resolving dynamic driver compared to the two Balanced Armatures is probably its only sonic flaw - everything else (speed, tonal coherency, soundstage, separation, ...) is really good and as I stated earlier, I see the IT03 somewhat above the more or less similarly priced Oriveti Primacy and Fidue A83/UPQ Q-music QE80 and while it doesn't fully reach more expensive hybrid IEMs' resolution, it comes quite close and has some advantage (mainly in terms of treble realism and treble evenness).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back