IBasso Audio IT03
Oct 1, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #526 of 3,344
nmatheis

I wanted to express that with the red ULF filters, the FLC has got the slower plus softer attack and decay in comparison, whereas with the grey ULF + clear/grey LF, the FLC8s has got the less soft and faster bass to me (might be different depending on the listening level; I am usually listening at low/moderate volume).

Yep, I'd agree on the mids (all Mid/High filters except for the golden ones that I find to highlight female vocals similarly to the IT03).

Oct 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #527 of 3,344
It'll be interesting to see how these stack up against the PM4 and PM6. Debating cancelling my (ultra hype train) PM6 pre-order and going with IT03. I'm mostly concerned about PM6 build quality.

I too am sick of the hype going on at the Trinity threads. There was talk of impressions before the PM4 ships. So far nothing but speculation. I'm close to cancelling my PM4 and going with the IT03. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #528 of 3,344
I too am sick of the hype going on at the Trinity threads. There was talk of impressions before the PM4 ships. So far nothing but speculation. I'm close to cancelling my PM4 and going with the IT03. 

I don't have the blind-faith in Bob that most zealots on that thread have, but I would be surprised if the phantom iems didn't punch well above their price.

Oct 1, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #529 of 3,344
I don't have the blind-faith in Bob that most zealots on that thread have, but I would be surprised if the phantom iems didn't punch well above their price.

They're a couple of weeks away according to Bobs last update. That could change. Meanwhile there's an open box dunu 2002 that's a sure thing. @bavinck have you tried any of the Trinity iems? Also, apart from one very useful comparison earlier, anyone else has anything to say wrt the 2002 and the it03? Thank you in advance.

Oct 1, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #530 of 3,344
Please, can we not turn this into another fan boy thread for Trinity Audio. If you like to talk about their products or speculate about when they'll ship there's plenty of other's willing to do this in the dedicated Trinity threads.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #531 of 3,344
Try this with the IT03. With what ever tip works for you, at least on the IT03 tips, push it all the way on so it the end of the nozzle is flush with the end of the tip. I use small and it works fine with them. Listen and see what you think. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #532 of 3,344
Try this with the IT03. With what ever tip works for you, at least on the IT03 tips, push it all the way on so it the end of the nozzle is flush with the end of the tip. I use small and it works fine with them. Listen and see what you think. 

I try and do this with all my iems. That's why I like spiral dots so much. Gets the tips out of the way and the iems can do their thing.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #533 of 3,344
They're a couple of weeks away according to Bobs last update. That could change. Meanwhile there's an open box dunu 2002 that's a sure thing. @bavinck have you tried any of the Trinity iems? Also, apart from one very useful comparison earlier, anyone else has anything to say wrt the 2002 and the it03? Thank you in advance.

I have the original delta. Nice iem for the money, but the IT03 is several levels above right across the board.

Oct 1, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #534 of 3,344
Please, can we not turn this into another fan boy thread for Trinity Audio. If you like to talk about their products or speculate about when they'll ship there's plenty of other's willing to do this in the dedicated Trinity threads.

Trust me I don't want this to turn into another Trinity fanboy thread either. Just wanted @Bavinck's approximation of the value of Trinity iems (the ones he owns anyway) vs the value of Ibasso it03. Anyway I've more or less made up my mind to persevere with the Trinity pm4 but I do want to know if anyone else thinks the 2002 is head and shoulders above the it03. I'm planning to get one of those.

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #535 of 3,344

This is what I have just done. I put on the shorter stock tips.

Hoping for a good seal on my commute tomorrow.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #536 of 3,344
Anyone tried this balanced? I have zero experience with balanced iems, but an considering buying a copper litz cable and it would be easy to ask for balanced.

Oct 2, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #537 of 3,344
A member PM'ed me for a comparison between IT03 and DN-2002. Just thought I'd share my answer here for anyone else interested:

The 2002 have much better coherency between the dynamic and BA drivers. The bass and mid/highs are integrated much more smoothly and the 2002 sounds more natural as a result. Sound wise, the 2002's sub-bass does not have nearly as much quantity as IT03 but it does reach just as deep. The 2002's bass sound tighter and faster with less slam. Both are great at bringing out detail and definition in the lows. For the mids, the 2002 have a warmer tonality than the slightly cold IT03. I would consider it to be on the neutral side of warm. Vocals sound more natural and life-like with the 2002, with slightly more presence in the mix than IT03. I don't remember which one brought out more detail, but I'm leaning on the 2002. As for the highs, 2002 is less extended and has lesser presence compared to the IT03. It also lacks the smoothness and refinement that the IT03 have. Soundstage wise, the 2002 have a more intimate stage but with better depth than the IT03. Both does separation and imaging very well, albeit presented differently because of the stage.

To summarize:

Bass quantity: IT03 > DN-2002
Bass quality: IT03 = DN-2002
Mids quantity: DN-2002 >= IT03
Mids quality: DN-2002 > IT03 (IMO, depends on your preference)
Treble quantity: IT03 > DN-2002
Treble quality: IT03 > DN-2002
Detail: DN-2002 >= IT03
Soundstage: IT03 > DN-2002
Imaging: IT03 = DN-2002
Separation: IT03 = DN-2002

Oct 2, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #538 of 3,344
Anyone tried this balanced? I have zero experience with balanced iems, but an considering buying a copper litz cable and it would be easy to ask for balanced.

I have used them balanced but haven't made up my mind. There is more separation and depth. 

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #539 of 3,344
  Auditioned the IT03 for a good 45 minutes today.

Coming from a (former) FLC8S owner, here's how I heard it (compared to FLC8S in grey-grey-gold config):

- Much more powerful sub-bass, greater definition in mid/upper bass. Overall bass sounded fuller and warmer but doesn't suffer in speed.
- Mids are a tad leaner and colder, but otherwise detail level is very similar. Vocals sounded more laid-back but maybe a little clearer.
- Highs are smoother and more refined. No annoying peaks and extends very finely. Good amount of sparkle without being fatiguing.
- Soundstage is quite similar, very wide but not so much depth.
- IT03 has the upper hand in separation and imaging (very precise).
- Very airy presentation, surprisingly more airy than the FLC.
- Above average resolution but FLC edges it slightly.

Cons?
- Coherency wasn't the best I've heard in a hybrid, but certainly not bad at all. (especially for the price)
- Tonality is slightly on the thin side, not as much texture and timbre richness as I would have liked.

How I would rank it among other similar priced hybrids:
DN-2002 = FLC8S => IT03 > DN-2000J > DN-2000 = A83

The IT03 is no Andromeda, unfortunately. But being cheaper than most hybrids I know of, the IT03 certainly has crazy value-for-performance and hangs with the best hybrids in the market.

(Edit: updated ranking after some thought)

It depends upon what tips you use that came with the IT03 as to whether the mids are lean or not. I find that a snugger fit tip warms up the mids and they are fuller. For me that would be a medium tip. With that I get full mids slightly warmer mids and treble and in general, a very coherent full sound. I like using the small tips though as it is more airy and having listened to a lot of live music, more to my liking but tips have a huge influence on sound. The nice thing I have found with the IT03 is that they are able to move around the sound board with different tips and when correct for me, offer great sound. I have tried other brands but have gone back to the tips that came with the IT03 as they seem to work the best for any of my needs and were designed for the IT03. 

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #540 of 3,344

It depends upon what tips you use that came with the IT03 as to whether the mids are lean or not. I find that a snugger fit tip warms up the mids and they are fuller. For me that would be a medium tip. With that I get full mids slightly warmer mids and treble and in general, a very coherent full sound. I like using the small tips though as it is more airy and having listened to a lot of live music, more to my liking but tips have a huge influence on sound. The nice thing I have found with the IT03 is that they are able to move around the sound board with different tips and when correct for me, offer great sound. I have tried other brands but have gone back to the tips that came with the IT03 as they seem to work the best for any of my needs and were designed for the IT03. 

I see, that's great to know! If the right fit/tips could warm up the IT03's mids I could see it having a very nice coherent sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back