IBasso Audio IT03
Oct 8, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #707 of 3,344
Hmm, I might have to reconsider if it destroys fidelity. Thank you for sharing...

If you listen carefully, most iems will lose top end extension and the bass becomes less precise and impact full. It's pretty obvious if you are looking for it.

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #708 of 3,344
Thank you for the feedback. For my physical condition, I can only use foam tips. I have ER4S and ER4SR and they provide foam tips (barrel shape) and it sounds same as silicon flange tips if it provides good seal and insert correct depth into ear canal. I also tried Campfire Audio Nova and Orion and they come with foam tips as stock and sounded fine without sacrificing low and high. I wonder if it is the case for IT03 or not in this case...   :)

They come stock on the Nova but they kill whatever bass the Novas have, IME. Silicon tips were definitely better for me.

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #710 of 3,344
If you need to avoid silicone then you need to use foam. Comply come stock with campfire products and I think they affect sq on all iems. However, maybe you like that or are less sensitive. Go with what works for you.

Some manufacturers tune with foamies in mind. CFA is one. Ken always loads the IEM up with foamies. If you want to hear them like Ken intended, use foamies with the exception noted below...

Campfire Audio recommends silicone tips with the Nova (If I recall correctly).

Yes, Ken does recommend silicon on Nova and foamies on the other CFA IEM.

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #712 of 3,344
One way of improving the comply type foam where the end over hangs the plastic barrel is to cut the excess or attach them upside down. Ive found that proper insertion of comply tips does not massively interfere with the sound. In fact silicone tips that extend the earphone bore and are narrow (spinfit) can cause treble distortions on some IEMs.

There are some cheap memory foam tips you can get from various sources that have a tapered end with no central plastic barrel. Ive been using this a lot on various IEms lately as you can push them right down the barrel of the OEM and they are extremely comfortable. I think they would work well with the IT03 barrel.

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #713 of 3,344
One way of improving the comply type foam where the end over hangs the plastic barrel is to cut the excess or attach them upside down. Ive found that proper insertion of comply tips does not massively interfere with the sound. In fact silicone tips that extend the earphone bore and are narrow (spinfit) can cause treble distortions on some IEMs.

There are some cheap memory foam tips you can get from various sources that have a tapered end with no central plastic barrel. Ive been using this a lot on various IEms lately as you can push them right down the barrel of the OEM and they are extremely comfortable. I think they would work well with the IT03 barrel.

Great idea. Thank you very much. I will try to source foam tips with no or very short central plastic barrel. :)

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #714 of 3,344

Has anyone tried IT03 with comply foam tips? My ear gets irritation with silicon tips so I can only use foam tips and not sure how sound does change with foam tips whether it retains original sound sig or change noticeably...

It will probably do what comply do to all iems: destroy the highs and muffle the lows. I cannot understand why they are so popular.

Thats a little unfair. I have 1 pair of IEM's that did not sound good. After trying maybe 15 different tips I almost gave up but then I put some Complys on and WoW! They sound magnificent with Complys. As with all audio matters, there are so many different components that come together to arrive at the sound in your ears. Like all tips - sometimes Complys have an incredible synergy sometimes, they may exaberate an issue with an earphone.    After 350 hours burn in The Complys warm up the IT03's very nicely over all. Certainly doesn't make them sound worse! :) Will give a better listen with the Complys later but an initial I think are a great synergy because the IT03 are quite an airy, bright energetic IEM,if you match them with a 'warmer' tip they two together can give a very nice result [depending on taste of course!]

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #715 of 3,344
I have decided finally to buy the woodie JVC FX-850 over the IT03 after reading comments of this forum. I like more fun V-type signature instead of analytical sound. Although the IT03 seems to have strong bass, I think that the quality and timbre of wood earphones ('organic' warm sound) has not been matched by hybrid earphones (Sony XBA-A3, DUNU DN2000, etc.). What do you think about it?

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #716 of 3,344
   Thats a little unfair. I have 1 pair of IEM's that did not sound good. After trying maybe 15 different tips I almost gave up but then I put some Complys on and WoW! They sound magnificent with Complys. As with all audio matters, there are so many different components that come together to arrive at the sound in your ears. Like all tips - sometimes Complys have an incredible synergy sometimes, they may exaberate an issue with an earphone.    After 350 hours burn in The Complys warm up the IT03's very nicely over all. Certainly doesn't make them sound worse! :) Will give a better listen with the Complys later but an initial I think are a great synergy because the IT03 are quite an airy, bright energetic IEM,if you match them with a 'warmer' tip they two together can give a very nice result [depending on taste of course!]

Fair enough. I can see using comply to purposely take the edge off an iem like IT03.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #717 of 3,344
I have decided finally to buy the woodie JVC FX-850 over the IT03 after reading comments of this forum. I like more fun V-type signature instead of analytical sound. Although the IT03 seems to have strong bass, I think that the quality and timbre of wood earphones ('organic' warm sound) has not been matched by hybrid earphones (Sony XBA-A3, DUNU DN2000, etc.). What do you think about it?

I never heard the JVC but I would never describe the IT03 as analytical. It is very fun and energetic.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #718 of 3,344
I never heard the JVC but I would never describe the IT03 as analytical. It is very fun and energetic.

As I said, the HA-FX850 are definitely more organic.
And indeed, there is something in the bass of HA-FX850, and T8ie while we're at it, that you won't find in current hybrid IEMs.

Not saying either technology (Wood/Tesla/Hybrid) is bad, but the result is very different.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #719 of 3,344
What I hear when using a good BA IEM is well done bass but the quality is different from a good hybrid. I get used to the bass of the all BA unit but if I listen to a good headphone I notice that there is often more bass and deeper bass. When going to a good hybrid from an all BA unit, this is noticeable also to me. I think if someone expects a BA type of bass they won't get it from a hybrid but in a cohesive BA and dynamic unit you can get what is actually on the recording. It also depends upon the source of the signal and if there is a mismatch from the amp to the IT03 or any other unit there can be problems with skewed frequencies. Once you get things right for you, enjoy the music.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back