I thought I knew what I wanted....until I came here. HELP! (Gaming)
Jul 24, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
I love the fit of the AD700's, some people don't like the wings, they fit great for me. How are your A900's for immersion and isolation? I noticed when gaming with my HORRIBLE Bose 'phones that I could hear footsteps and general sound directions better than my 700's, even though they are muffled to the point I get a headache, lol. The soundstage on the Bose is probably microscopic, so I don't know why this is happening. Maybe my ears work better with closed headphones......or maybe the soundstage of the AD700's is TOO big for my hearing?

I love the wings on the Audio Technica headphones as well.  They help to fit my head perfectly, without too much clamping force, and they stay snug despite moving my head around. 

I've only head AD700's briefly for music, so I can't really provide a comparison for gaming.  The ATH-A900's were in the old recommended headphones thread as being great all around closed phone (movies, gaming, music) and I think I would agree.  I share a room with my sister for our computer set ups (she does sit ~12 ft away though and has her apple iems on 50% of the time) and she's never complained when I'm using headphones for gaming, music, or movie watching.  I play mostly TF2 nowadays, and footsteps and emotes directionality are easily discernable. 

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #17 of 25
I'm in the group that absolutely DESPISES the 3D wings of the Audio Technicas. Even post rubberband mod, they just can't stay still on my head. Hideously uncomfortable for my neck. No thanks. Had the AD700's not had wings, I would've easily kept them as my main gaming cans.

Jul 24, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #18 of 25
Well, I went ahead and got the DT770 pro/80's. Awesome, I LOVE the immersion these things offer. Explosions and gunfire are THUNDEROUS. I played MW2 5 straight hours last night to get used to the sound (couldn't stop playing, just loved the immersion). Today, I plugged the AD700's back in to do a comparison.....they were almost unbearable. Everything sounded like it was coming from a tin can. The DT770, like Mad Lust Envy has said, no doubt has better directionality, not even close. I really think my ears prefer a closed can though TBH.

Another thing that I can confirm that Envy has said, was it really needs time to open up with burn in. I'm glad I saw that thread before buying or they would have been on their way back to the Guitar Center today, haha. I already noticed things opening up with only about 6 hours of use. I have it burning in now with burninwave's program. I'm really excited to hear these after they burn in completely.

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #19 of 25
**UPDATE**

The 770 pro/80's are headed back to Guitar Center. I was hoping burn-in would open them up more, but it hasn't. The DT880/32's will be at my door tomorrow. I'm hoping my hearing is different than Envy's with the front/back positioning!  With all the headphones I've tried (Bose over-ear, AD700's, 770 pro/80's) the positional cues are good enough for me to know where things are. The 770's are just too muddy when footsteps and silenced guns are concerned. They may have better directionality than the other 2, but I can't hear it as well when I do hear them.

When reading about headphones and their 3D positional ability, everyone says different things, and sometimes they change their minds on what headphones are better! haha. It's almost like they want to upgrade, upgrade, UPGRADE and when they get a new pair, it's already burned in their brains that the NEW headphones are better. So then the new purchase has to be justified....and ironically...I'm also guilty of this. 
L3000.gif

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #20 of 25
Been using the DT 880 32 ohms for a couple nights now. The sound is on a whole other level than the AD700's and 770 pro/80's. I don't have the problem telling front to back like Envy had with his. That's really unfortunate Envy, these headphones are UNREAL. My ears must be made PERFECTLY for dolby headphone technology. Every headphone I use has pinpoint accuracy. DT 880's FTW!!!

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #21 of 25
I have the 770/80 and enjoy them. When I get back to the states I am going to have to listen to them again and check for the muffled/muddy footsteps. I might be upgrading to the 880/32.

Thanks for the updates SJB610!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
I have the 770/80 and enjoy them. When I get back to the states I am going to have to listen to them again and check for the muffled/muddy footsteps. I might be upgrading to the 880/32.

Thanks for the updates SJB610!
smily_headphones1.gif

I did LOVE the DT880 32's....their sound is top notch. What I noticed after having them longer is when the action picked up...I would get disoriented. Maybe this is what Envy was talking about. I could tell the difference from front to back, but things got shady when alot of sounds happened.

I have moved on to the Sony MDR-F1. These headphones are AMAZING when it comes to surround sound. (Astro Mixamp). Really effortless when it comes to footsteps/gunfire that's surrounding you.

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #24 of 25

"I love the wings on the Audio Technica headphones as well. They help to fit my head perfectly, without too much clamping force, and they stay snug despite moving my head around. "

.... well i have a pair of A900TIs, and after a while, my ears get sweaty, not a lot, but they do .... great gaming cans though, i alternate them with the DT990s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back