I thought I knew what I wanted....until I came here. HELP! (Gaming)
Jul 21, 2010 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

SJB610

New Head-Fier
hi everyone.

I'm in need of some help. Every night it is an all out war in my bedroom because of my gaming leaking through my AD700's. I've been looking at the DT770 pro 80's for some good isolation/awesome immersion. I love my 700's, but they do leak alot and they're used for footsteps, and footsteps only. I read KBI's blog many times, and as everyone knows, he recommends the DT880's to the fullest.

Is getting a DT880 more of a sidestep from the AD700's? I have zero experience with high end audio, so there is absolutely no chance of getting an amp. I soley use the astro mixamp. I guess what I want is a headphone that puts you INTO the game, and FEELING the explosions ect ect ect, but still has all the bells and whistles for a good gaming can. How does the DT880 do with immersion and isolation for it being open? If it's a ton better than the 770 80's for gaming, I'll get the 880's instead. It seems that Mad Lust Envy's review of his 770's and KBI's blog for the DT880's are pulling me into different directions. ugh. Replies would be GREATLY appreciated!

**note:  If I were to buy the DT880, it would be in the 32 ohm of course.**

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 25
The DT880 probably leaks a bit less, but it definitely won't solve any bedroom battles.

The DT770 are probably a better choice.  They won't have the same soundstage, but that's sort of a reality with closed headphones.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 25
DT880s would be good for your use if semi-open doesn't leak too much. You can try them out of your sound card, but you'll get much better performance with an amp, even the 32 ohm version.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
The DT880 probably leaks a bit less, but it definitely won't solve any bedroom battles.

The DT770 are probably a better choice.  They won't have the same soundstage, but that's sort of a reality with closed headphones.

Yea, I'm stuck using a Bose over the ear headphone, which is MUFFLED compared to the 700's. What I don't want to happen is getting the 770 80's that won't pick up certain sounds that a 880 can. But I don't want to get an 880 if it lacks too much immersion and leaks too much sound like the AD700's. BUT, if the 880 obliterates the other two, I'll pass up the isolation.....I don't think I'm getting anywhere, haha.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 25
There are heaps of closed and semi-closed headphones that'll fit the bill.  Though it's a tad FOTM, the $75 Orthodynamic Fostex T50RP leaks very little, and with light modding becomes a mighty good performer, with flat FR and well defined bass extension.  Others to consider include the Shure SRH840 ($125 with price quote from Northern Sound and Light), the Sennheiser HD280 (very seal dependent), and Audio Technica ATH-M50.

That said, if you can afford antagonizing your roommate, the Beyerdynamic DT880 is a top tier dynamic headphone that's worth every dollar (and argument).  Even if you don't see an amp appearing in your immediate future, it's best to "upgrade beyond your bottleneck" so you can level up component by component.  Who knows; maybe next year you'll have room for a pair of bookshelf speakers, and will buy a nice integrated amp for them and your Beyers. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 25

Quote:

Its your choice really. Either. Whichever is ur preference.

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 25
FOTM or not, we have to stop recommending the Fostex T50RP to people who say they don't have an amp/aren't getting one.  They are almost as hard to drive properly as the 600 ohm Beyers.

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 25

Woah, I spent ages looking for this thread, since I couldn't reply at work.

Okay, let me be clear. the DT880 BLOWS away the DT770 Pro 80s in every single regard except bass and positioning for gaming. The DT770 Pro 80 is a a love and hate headphone. Love because their soundstage and positioning for FPS gaming is absolutely INCREDIBLE. Hate, because the bass is too much for competitive gaming, and their clarity is quite lacking.

The DT880 is one that is quite possibly the BEST overall multi-purpose  headphone I have ever used, with the exception of one VERY important thing: they have an incredibly hard time discerning between front and rear sounds. This is an absolute deal breaker when it comes to gaming, because for FPS games, being able to tell front and back is a top priority. I'm absolutely stunned that the DT880 couldn't do this right, AT ALL. In contrast, the DT770 Pro is the very BEST headphone I have used (asides from the K701 and AD700) when it comes to being able to tell in which direction sounds are coming from.

If FPS gaming is a priority, don't get the DT880s. For everything else, the DT880s are top notch, gaming wise. The DT770 Pro 80s are good in only a few things. Bass, closed headphone soundstage, and fun factor/immersion. I find the Creative Aurvana Live to be a good replacement to the DT770 Pro 80's I sold (in fact they're better to me), because they are MUCH more balanced, a lot clearer as a whole, the soundstage is still great for a closed can, they are very good at directional sounds, and they only cost me $60. They easily best the DT770 Pros for gaming, in every sense except that powerful bass, and unorthodox soundstage.

For a better gaming headphone than the DT880, the K701 or K702, FOR SURE. They have less bass, but gain an advantage in everything else. They also blow the AD700s out of the water in every regard except drivability. If the bass of the AD700 is a 1, the K701/K702 is a 6, while the DT880/32 is an 8, and the DT770 Pro 80 is an 11.

IMHO, of course.
Quote:
hi everyone.

I'm in need of some help. Every night it is an all out war in my bedroom because of my gaming leaking through my AD700's. I've been looking at the DT770 pro 80's for some good isolation/awesome immersion. I love my 700's, but they do leak alot and they're used for footsteps, and footsteps only. I read KBI's blog many times, and as everyone knows, he recommends the DT880's to the fullest.

Is getting a DT880 more of a sidestep from the AD700's? I have zero experience with high end audio, so there is absolutely no chance of getting an amp. I soley use the astro mixamp. I guess what I want is a headphone that puts you INTO the game, and FEELING the explosions ect ect ect, but still has all the bells and whistles for a good gaming can. How does the DT880 do with immersion and isolation for it being open? If it's a ton better than the 770 80's for gaming, I'll get the 880's instead. It seems that Mad Lust Envy's review of his 770's and KBI's blog for the DT880's are pulling me into different directions. ugh. Replies would be GREATLY appreciated!

**note:  If I were to buy the DT880, it would be in the 32 ohm of course.**

I also only use mainly just the Mixamp while gaming. The K701 I have is driven quite well with just the Mixamp, as long as the voice/game knob is leaning heavily towards the Game side.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
Woah, I spent ages looking for this thread, since I couldn't reply at work.

Okay, let me be clear. the DT880 BLOWS away the DT770 Pro 80s in every single regard except bass and positioning for gaming. The DT770 Pro 80 is a a love and hate headphone. Love because their soundstage and positioning for FPS gaming is absolutely INCREDIBLE. Hate, because the bass is too much for competitive gaming, and their clarity is quite lacking.

The DT880 is one that is quite possibly the BEST overall multi-purpose  headphone I have ever used, with the exception of one VERY important thing: they have an incredibly hard time discerning between front and rear sounds. This is an absolute deal breaker when it comes to gaming, because for FPS games, being able to tell front and back is a top priority. I'm absolutely stunned that the DT880 couldn't do this right, AT ALL. In contrast, the DT770 Pro is the very BEST headphone I have used (asides from the K701 and AD700) when it comes to being able to tell in which direction sounds are coming from.

If FPS gaming is a priority, don't get the DT880s. For everything else, the DT880s are top notch, gaming wise. The DT770 Pro 80s are good in only a few things. Bass, closed headphone soundstage, and fun factor/immersion. I find the Creative Aurvana Live to be a good replacement to the DT770 Pro 80's I sold (in fact they're better to me), because they are MUCH more balanced, a lot clearer as a whole, the soundstage is still great for a closed can, they are very good at directional sounds, and they only cost me $60. They easily best the DT770 Pros for gaming, in every sense except that powerful bass, and unorthodox soundstage.

For a better gaming headphone than the DT880, the K701 or K702, FOR SURE. They have less bass, but gain an advantage in everything else. They also blow the AD700s out of the water in every regard except drivability. If the bass of the AD700 is a 1, the K701/K702 is a 6, while the DT880/32 is an 8, and the DT770 Pro 80 is an 11.

IMHO, of course.

I also only use mainly just the Mixamp while gaming. The K701 I have is driven quite well with just the Mixamp, as long as the voice/game knob is leaning heavily towards the Game side.

Thanks for the reply Envy, I was hoping you would see, haha.  Your reply swung my decision towards the 770's, and it took one sentence...... "they have an incredibly hard time discerning between front and rear sounds." All that pretty sound wouldn't help me out if I can't separate front from back easily. (and I don't take getting stabbed in the back lightly, lol) Plus, you add in the fun factor of the 770's immersion.....I think I have what I'm looking for! Thanks bro!

Now that I have what I'm looking for, where is a good place to buy the newer 05 770/80 version?

**note: I did look into the K701's...but since I'm keeping my AD700's, I could use them for when clarity/footsteps and a bigger soundstage is needed. (or when the other team is beating my @ss, haha)**

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 25
Aren't the K701/702's open back headphones as well?  That will not help the OP much with the sound leakage problem. 

If you like the fit of the AD700's, the A700/A900 line-up from audio-technica are closed back headphones and have similar sound.  I use my A900's for gaming and they're great for positional accuracy. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
Aren't the K701/702's open back headphones as well?  That will not help the OP much with the sound leakage problem. 

If you like the fit of the AD700's, the A700/A900 line-up from audio-technica are closed back headphones and have similar sound.  I use my A900's for gaming and they're great for positional accuracy. 

I love the fit of the AD700's, some people don't like the wings, they fit great for me. How are your A900's for immersion and isolation? I noticed when gaming with my HORRIBLE Bose 'phones that I could hear footsteps and general sound directions better than my 700's, even though they are muffled to the point I get a headache, lol. The soundstage on the Bose is probably microscopic, so I don't know why this is happening. Maybe my ears work better with closed headphones......or maybe the soundstage of the AD700's is TOO big for my hearing?

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #13 of 25
After roughly a month's worth of research I'm still uncontrollably confused :)

After weighing up the pro's and con's of a large number of cans, I think I've decided on the SRH840's. I can get them for $215 in South Africa. The other cans are easily double the price here and those that aren't I need to import and then pay cutoms duty.

Going to have a listen to them at a store tomorrow and report back on my decision.

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #14 of 25
Would like to recomment beyerdynamic MMX 300. It is like a DT 770 with microphone, very strong and deep bass, you will get highly involved in the game.

I use MMX 300 also for Skype.

Take a look at http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-mmx-300-pc-gaming-premium-digital-headset-with-microphone
or http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/multimedia/mmx-300-manufaktur.html

IMO, DT 880 is not that recommended if people around might be disturbed by the sound coming out of the cans.

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 25
hmm-
the dt880, while it says semi-open, is really an open headphone, and leaks sound like any open headphone. needs a small amp. i love this one for gaming.
the k701 is open and needs a monster amp to sound proper. really. if u have one with a weak amp , you r missing out. a lot.

the dolby headphone abilities of the mixamp artificially increases the soundstage, so u will be happy with a larger closed headphone.  ath-a900, denon d2000, ath-m50, even the low price jvc harx700 or 900 would make u happy

i'm not a big fan of the dt770 pro, but love the non pro version

Users who are viewing this thread

Back