I think I've made a bad decision
Sep 11, 2010 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

TheWhiteOut

New Head-Fier
I travel to work about 50 mins each way by train, and I love to listen to my ipod to pass the time. I had a pair of bose over ear headphones for a year until they broke, so I bought some dr dre's. The 350 dollar price tag for the studios seems high, and I cant help but think I've been screwed. I have 2 weeks until I can take them back still, can anyone make a suggestion for headphones under 350 canadian? or are the dre's a good buy?

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 35
The Beats are not very good and usually provoke some heavy flames when mentioned here. I've listened to themmand didn't like them at all - the bass is sloppy and out of control, while also drowning out the mids and highs.

I'd return them and look into the recommendations you find here. You might want to go with some good IEMs or maybe a pair of closed headphones. You can find something excellent for $350 or less.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 35

Quote:
I second that. I love my hd25-1 from sennheiser as a rugged, portable, closed can.

Quote:
Mt $150 guitar center ath-m50s beat the the dre headphones and you can get the m50s for $100 if you order online.  Truly a product that funneled the majority of the finances toward promotions.

and they sound better than dre's? what the hell? what did i pay 350 dollars for?

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 35
The name Dr. Dre associated with your headphones....and Monster's expenses for it's massive advertising campaign for them. I let my friend compare Dre's and my Shure SRH750DJ and he even said the DJ's were way above them.

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:
Mt $150 guitar center ath-m50s beat the the dre headphones and you can get the m50s for $100 if you order online.  Truly a product that funneled the majority of the finances toward promotions.

Quote:
I second that. I love my hd25-1 from sennheiser as a rugged, portable, closed can.

Either of these would be great choices.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 35

Quote:

and they sound better than dre's? what the hell? what did i pay 350 dollars for?

Hey buddy, I'm right their with you.  I paid $150 for the beats tours without doing any research and before joining this forum....really must get around to putting them in the for sale section...or perhaps I could trade them for a really good hamburger or something.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 35

Quote:
Quote:

I wish we could get you to a big meet where you could compare the Beats to a few hundred other headphones.  You would be in shock over the quality available for under $350.

Agreed.  You can get really, really, really good cans for under $350 that would be suitable to almost anyone as a "life long" can - and consequently would BLOW the Beats by Dre out of the water.  The Beats by Dre is really just a marketing scam, puts all the kiddies into a hype about buying a sweet pair of headphones just because the big man in the suit says they're good.  Most people compare headphones by price tag - not by sound quality. 

I go to Michigan State University as a Mechanical Engineering student.  I see kids with these Beats by Dre headphones on maybe 2-3 times a week, and I kind of secretly shake my head in disapproval while saying to myself "another one bites the dust".

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 35
lol that remind me of people who asked me "Is this a Bose" when I told 'em my headphones are very very good and expensive (expensive is in a relative meaning, I don't mean my headphones are expensive in Head-Fi lol).

I answer them "Well normally my headphone price tags are about 3x Bose one, but that's not the point" :wink:

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:
lol that remind me of people who asked me "Is this a Bose" when I told 'em my headphones are very very good and expensive (expensive is in a relative meaning, I don't mean my headphones are expensive in Head-Fi lol).

I answer them "Well normally my headphone price tags are about 3x Bose one, but that's not the point" :wink:

haha. Yeah I know what you mean. I told one of my friends I had some nice headphones for them to hear. They replied with "Yeah my dad has some Bose too."

@Op: I agree with the above posters on the beats. If you want another pair of cans we'd be more than happy to give you some recommendations. What type of music do you listen to? How will your headphones be used? Do you need open or closed cans? What do you want in your sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back