I saw this graph and couldn't stop laughing. Hi-Fi Sony fo' sho'!
Mar 16, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #32 of 43
Perfect headphones to work on vocals with... possibly? hehe

About the EQ'ing. It's very possible to bring bass out of those cans, however there will be more noise than you could cope with and sound terrible obviously. If the lowpass shown in the graph continues the pattern down, there will be atleast -60db of audio to work with.

A high quality EQ with a setting like the following would flatten them up a bit. It's not magic, though of course. Trash in, trash out.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #34 of 43
Why does it day "Sony?" It looks like a Grado to me.
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #35 of 43
I think more people here need to understand products aren't always built to be enjoyed with music by audiophiles.  Sony's MDR-75XX models are their professional monitor headphones.  The MDR-7506 being the "standard" in most applications these days (music and otherwise).  Actually it has been for over a decade.

The MDR-7502 only claims a 60-16k frequency response, and is primarily used in the field for live monitoring voice broadcasts (it packs up small and sounds quite nice for voice).  If you're out video taping a news anchor, you only need to hear the speech, the 30hz bass notes don't matter. 

It's like DJ headphones.  They emphasis the bass because that's what dj's match tracks/beats with and they need to hear it up front, not because it sounds the best. 

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #36 of 43

Quote:
They probably say the same thing about us
redface.gif

haha yes probably so.  But I don't just mean headphones.  Everything you look at on Amazon gets great reviews no matter what.  I've bought so many rubbish albums that people said were the best albums of the year and did so in a pretty convincing way.  And I just bought a chair on Amazon that got good reviews, but when I finally got it put together it seemed like it was made for another species.

I think there's just something about the review process that attracts positive reviews. 

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #39 of 43

Quote:
haha yes probably so.  But I don't just mean headphones.  Everything you look at on Amazon gets great reviews no matter what.  I've bought so many rubbish albums that people said were the best albums of the year and did so in a pretty convincing way.  And I just bought a chair on Amazon that got good reviews, but when I finally got it put together it seemed like it was made for another species.

I think there's just something about the review process that attracts positive reviews. 

I didn't actually witness this, but another member pointed it out: the Monster Tron edition headphones aren't even out yet, so there is no way consumers could have tried them on unless they were credited audio critiques, like CNet or something (highly doubt that), however, in Amazon you could pre-order the headphones.
He said there were already 5-star reviews. For a product they hadn't tried yet. Based solely on looks and product description (and we all know how humble Monster is with their cans - "Beats iz da best audio thingy in da world"). I mean, I get you want to speak out and say "this is the most beautiful freaking thing I have ever seen", but on a review for something you didn't try and giving it 5 stars?!

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #42 of 43
There's a right tool for every job.  At first this "mids-only" bell curve seems like a horrible joke, as if Andy Kaufman were alive and building headphones somewhere.  On the other hand, there's a place for a mids-heavy headset.  Take, for example, the world of hearing aids.  If I were an old man, trying to follow a conversation, I'd want mids, not ear-piercing treble and certainly not great bass.  Usually, crappy bass is easily produced by 30mm drivers with nothing for a voice coil and nothing for a magnet, the kind of drivers you'd expect in a box of Cracker Jacks or OEM'd for a buzzer.  Crappy treble is just as easily produced by an enclosure where the cushion filters out the highs.  I think you can go to Walmart and get a pair of Kosses for $4.95 that produce just such a result.  You won't feel like you're "there" with headphones like these, but you'll get the gist of what's going on, particularly speech.

I wouldn't want 'em, but I'm sure somebody will.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #43 of 43
hmmm got me thinking, get a can like the W1000 shell, and stick this and another driver like the AKG parabolic, see where that takes you, of course you would have to tool the impedance to get it to work right....would be an interesting project IMO.

dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back