"I Need New 'Cans,'" the Newb Said...
May 17, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #46 of 68
Quote:
Hmmm.... I'll look into them. What of their gaming fidelity, do you know?

For competitive, or immersion? Those are bassy, and lack treble and upper mids. They'll be fun to listen to, but I highly doubt they'll have a soundstage (note I haven't listened to them so I could somehow be wrong, but unlikely).

May 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #47 of 68
For immersion is what I mean. Hearing people's footsteps at 20X what it actually would sound like is not appealing to me... For once, I've found a place on the internet where people are, for the most part, nice and welcoming.

May 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #48 of 68
Quote:
For immersion is what I mean. Hearing people's footsteps at 20X what it actually would sound like is not appealing to me... For once, I've found a place on the internet where people are, for the most part, nice and welcoming.

Thank you! Note that its not always like that here, some of us can be rather mean. For the most part, though, this site is very nice and welcoming. I'd assume for immersion the 8323s would be great budget immersion pair, because they isolate you from the world, and they have a strong bass.There might be more immersive as you go up, but these would do great for the price.

As a side note (but still slightly related), I so want the oculus rift... or for that matter, any virtual reality headset.

Edit: Looking at MLE's thread, the CAL! is his highest rated in the fun category for under $100. I guess that must be good then. From what I've read, the CAL! would better then the V6s for true immersion (but maybe not audio accuracy).

May 17, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #49 of 68
Well, I've yet to see it on any largely noticable scale...
I'll see what the gaming side has to say, for more input.
Those things look amazing. Now, if someone combined the Oculus Rift with, say, some ultra-hi-fi Sennheiser. My God, that'd be glorious.

May 17, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #50 of 68
I bet it'll be done at some point. There's a sony version of the oculus rift with headphones built in, but they have the 5.1 thing going on that doesn't exactly sound natural in a pair headphones.
Edit: Now I don't know if I'll get the CALs or the 8323s, dangit! They both look really good...
Edit2:nevermind, the CALs aren't isolating much and they don't work as portables too well. 8323s it is, again!

May 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #51 of 68
Quote:
They are way better looking then I thought... Maybe its just the lighting :p
So, how do you carry these around? These work well with EDM, right? I want to be able to take them with me for that purpose.

Here are quite a few reviews on the 8323's (MHP-839 is Monoprice's SKU for them.) pictures in that thread of them folded.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/monoprice-mhp-839

Note that mine have an Alternate headband from eBay and Pearstone Deluxe Replacement Earpads
I picked up the pads for my HFI-780's but didn't like them there so they went on the 8323's mine were $19.99 from B&H but many will fit. There is nothing wrong with the stock pads and band cushion IMHO, I just had these around not getting used.

I listen to a lot of Deadmua5, Infected Mushroom, Juno Reactor and Daft Punk on these, they are not as good as my Ultrasone's are with that music, considering the price difference they are quite close.

Now if you want to spend a little more on an amazing portable headphone get the JVC HA-S500 Carbon Nano Tube they will blow you away with the sound.
Check this thread here with over 6000 posts regarding them. Much better than the 8323's for EDM, smaller and look better too.
The only problem is you get them from Japan through eBay or Amazon and they take 3 weeks to arrive.
All for only $38 with $16 shipping in Black or GunMetal like mine.

Quote:
Hmmm.... I'll look into them. What of their gaming fidelity, do you know?

As far as gaming they might be a little bass heavy for when you need to hear positioning, open cans are so much better, I use my DT880 Pro's for games.

May 17, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #52 of 68
Quote:
Now if you want to spend a little more on an amazing portable headphone get the JVC HA-S500 Carbon Nano Tube they will blow you away with the sound.
Check this thread here with over 6000 posts regarding them. Much better than the 8323's for EDM, smaller and look better too.
The only problem is you get them from Japan through eBay or Amazon and they take 3 weeks to arrive.
All for only $38 with $16 shipping in Black or GunMetal like mine.

Those things are pretty, and they seem to have the bass I need to li-... to listen to ele-....

Wait... WAIT ONE SECOND!

DID YOU SAY CARBON NANOTUBES?!  WHAT IS THIS AND WHY IS IT NOT IN MY LIFE?!

I think it would be a dis-service to my nanotechnology-based job (and my nerdism) to not be wearing nanotechnology based headphones while I'm on my lunch break...

Okay, so 3 questions.
1. Do they also work well with orchestral based music? I like listening to that a ton, too.
2. How durable are they? I want to be able to just throw these in a bag and go...
3. OH MY GOSH YES A HEADPHONES WITH CARBON NANOTUBES WHAT IS THIS I AM IN LOVE

May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #53 of 68
As far as gaming they might be a little bass heavy for when you need to hear positioning, open cans are so much better, I use my DT880 Pro's for games.

Wouldn't open cans allow for all that keyboard clicking and noise in? Isn't closed better for gaming, because of that isolated feel? Or am I being a fool?
I wish to learn,

May 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #54 of 68
Quote:
Wouldn't open cans allow for all that keyboard clicking and noise in? Isn't closed better for gaming, because of that isolated feel? Or am I being a fool?
I wish to learn,

Closed will be better for immersion.
Open will be better for competitive play.
Open allows for a huge sound stage, so you can know exactly where every single sound is coming from, but you of course hear everything outside of the game. Some also find soundstage to be immersive, but the CAL!s have a slight soundstage to them while still being closed, so that will be useful for immersion (but not too helpful for competitive).

Edit: Another question about these nanotube based headphones, how much do they isolate? That is a huge deal to me, because the human voice is sadly very painful to my ears...

Double edit: Wait, what am I taking about, I'm about to go off to college, why should I even care about isolation when I don't have to deal with high schoolers who spend their entire day screaming their heads off... I am definitely getting these for my portable use. I can't believe these even exist. I am so glad you showed me these!

Triple edit: Oh... these are on ear... I hope these aren't uncomfortable, I've always disliked on ear... There's a mod to help with that it seems though, I hope I'll be able to make them over ear...

May 17, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #55 of 68
Quote:
Okay, so 3 questions.
1. Do they also work well with orchestral based music? I like listening to that a ton, too.
2. How durable are they? I want to be able to just throw these in a bag and go...
3. OH MY GOSH YES A HEADPHONES WITH CARBON NANOTUBES WHAT IS THIS I AM IN LOVE

I don't really listen to orchestral based music but they sound good to me with Dream Theater...
They are too shiny for me to just take and throw in a bag... but there are others who use them every day in the wild.

BUT and there is always a BUT.
JVC is coming out with a Full Size one just down the road...

Dual CNT driver and one is a 55mm CNT Sub...
basshead.gif

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/accessory/headphone/portable/ha-sz2000/index.html
(Use some Google Translate)
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #56 of 68
Quote:
I wish to learn,

This is the best thread to start with, everything is listed at the front.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-30-13-koss-esp-950-added

All you will need to know about gaming with headphones is there.
Great thread with great info.
beerchug.gif

May 17, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #57 of 68
I think you'd be better off getting a cheap logitech desk mic and a decent pair of headphones. They are actually pretty good for communicating, I use one everyday and have had it for a couple years so quality shouldn't be an issue. 

Personally I think closed headphones sound the best with games, but I don't really play many games besides visual novels so I wouldn't be an expert on gaming use.

May 17, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #58 of 68
Quote:
I think you'd be better off getting a cheap logitech desk mic and a decent pair of headphones. They are actually pretty good for communicating, I use one everyday and have had it for a couple years so quality shouldn't be an issue. 

Personally I think closed headphones sound the best with games, but I don't really play many games besides visual novels so I wouldn't be an expert on gaming use.

Hes been 2/3rds of the way convinced of that already, with the only headset being the SLYR, and the 2 headphones being the CAL!s and the V6s. Oh, also possibly the 8323s.

*making a full sized one*
I don't want to wait ;_;
It would also isolate a ton more, wouldn't it? ugh... man. I think I'll just go buy some extra pads I can put over the top.

May 17, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #59 of 68
The HM5 pads they are all using to go over ear with
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

Or the ATH-WS55 pads to go bigger on ear you can get those from ATUS parts.

Great can you'll like them a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back