"I Need New 'Cans,'" the Newb Said...
May 16, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #31 of 68
That's essentially the process I went through to compile my initial list. But, now that it's changed a lot, I don't know... Well, to the forums!! (To find out more about the 8323's)

May 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #32 of 68
I used to use the sony MDR-v6 at my schools library for playing counter-strike 1.6 back when we downloaded a cracked version and installed it on every computer haha and had LAN tournaments during class. It wasn't a bad headphone at all for noise isolation and it's monitoring application, very neutral and forgiving however I wouldn't say it had the best sense of dynamics even for a video game. I used to be a "professional" gamer or whatever you wanna call it I played in LAN tournaments usually 5v5 counter-strike 1.6 or source. Now I'm just an audiophile but I have a keen ear for acoustics such as sound location "echo-location" like a bat. I used to play CAL-M and CEVO-M 1.6 and counter-strike source. It was an extremely competitive online league where teams could actually win money. At the time I was gaming, my headset of choice was the SteelSeries 5Hv2 because of it's built in virtual 7.1 soundcard. It was very useful for location of enemies when you're on a map like de_dust2 or fy_iceworld.

With your budget at $90 you could afford yourself a used pair of SteelSeries 5Hv2 or maybe some website still sells them from the manufacturer but they're quite old. Right now I'm using Beyerdynamic DT880 Premiums(250ohm) with an HT Omega Claro + soundcard running RCA's to my Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amplifier. If I had known the kind of sound quality back then I probably would have even been better at counter-strike but this setup cost me $350 retail for the DT880's + $250 retail for the Asgard 2 and $200 for the HT Omega Soundcard. Yeah sorry for even mentioning this tidbit as it's way out of your ballpark but it's quite an eargasm to listen to the sounds of Battlefield 3.

May 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #33 of 68
Quote:
That's essentially the process I went through to compile my initial list. But, now that it's changed a lot, I don't know... Well, to the forums!! (To find out more about the 8323's)

Ah, but you see, I directly asked to find out what was best for him, I also spent time looking at graphs of all of these to make sure I could approve them. Hopefully the insights are helpful. I wish you luck on your journey into the center of the head-fi!

May 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #34 of 68
The Monoprice 8323's are a great set of headphones for the price. I have a pair with a universal padded headband and velour pads, very comfy.

In stock form they are $20 and sound like they are worth a lot more. Well built with 2 detachable cables. Everyone should grab a pair, if you don't like them as a main headphone then use them in the garage or as a pair of throw around cans or give them to somebody with earbuds...

For $20 you cant go wrong, and Monoprice puts a sale on every now and then so you could get them for $16 during one of their 20% off extravaganza's. Exactly the same as the Kicker version @ $50, they both come off the same assembly line in China. :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #35 of 68
That's an.... Interesting story. In any case, you recommend the 5h v2 over the Siberias? Or is the 5h v2 simply the one you used/loved using.
I'll be sure to keep the latter part in mind, just in case I decide to further dispose of my funds periodically into sound-makers. :wink: (by the way, that last sentence is sarcastic. Please don't come after me with amp-hammers)

May 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #36 of 68
Quote:
The Monoprice 8323's are a great set of headphones for the price. I have a pair with a universal padded headband and velour pads, very comfy.

In stock form they are $20 and sound like they are worth a lot more. Well built with 2 detachable cables. Everyone should grab a pair, if you don't like them as a main headphone then use them in the garage or as a pair of throw around cans or give them to somebody with earbuds...

For $20 you cant go wrong, and Monoprice puts a sale on every now and then so you could get them for $16 during one of their 20% off extravaganza's. Exactly the same as the Kicker version @ $50, they both come off the same assembly line in China.
biggrin.gif

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

I was going to get the Vsonic VC02s, a pair of IEMs (and I do not like IEMs), but now that I've seen that there is a pair of $20 headphones for me to buy with a detachable cable and everything else I need to make them portable... I might not get those... Especially because a dark pair of headphones like the 8323s would perfectly compliment the Q701s I'm getting.

May 16, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #37 of 68
O_o I envy you and your budget... Anyway, from this thread I have gathered: Prepare to lose your wallet; get the 8323s; go to gamers for help; get the V6, it's better than the 7506. This feedback is much appreciated. Thanks, mates!

May 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #38 of 68
You won't lose your wallet, yet. That's not for 4 years (or, if your like me, less then 2 years) down the road when you get around to buying some heavy hitter headphones. :p
I really hope the V6s work out for you (if they are the ones you are going to get), I can't wait to see how much you like them!
(I don't use parantheses too much, do I?)
(If so I'm sorry)
(okay maybe not)

May 16, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #41 of 68
Quote:
That's an.... Interesting story. In any case, you recommend the 5h v2 over the Siberias? Or is the 5h v2 simply the one you used/loved using.
I'll be sure to keep the latter part in mind, just in case I decide to further dispose of my funds periodically into sound-makers.
wink.gif
(by the way, that last sentence is sarcastic. Please don't come after me with amp-hammers)

I've owned both the 5Hv2 and the Siberias. Here's a quick warning, sonically they're very similar to each other I couldn't A/B compare them at the time because I owned them over different periods of time. The difference is that the version of the Siberias I owned were cheaply made and eventually the right earspeaker fell off because of cracked plastic. I'd say avoid the Icemat Siberias or whoever makes them now. They have a cheap build quality that I would avoid.

May 16, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #42 of 68
Quote:
Oh, no, I haven't decides to get them yet. It's pretty much between them and the SLYR, depending on what the gamers say.

So let's see, you can get the SteelSeries 5H v2 here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249015 for $80 plus shipping and tax wherever you may live. However, I believe that through time gaming headsets should have improved over the years so from what people are saying the SLYR sounds like quite a good deal. The SteelSeries 5H v2 has a retractable mic which was a game-changer back in 2008 when you didn't wanna have the microphone dangling in your face you could put it away back inside the headset. Never heard the SLYR before but if noise-isolation is your thing that looks to be the appropriate choice. The 5H is a semi-open headphone so sound can leak as well as outside noise.

May 17, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #43 of 68
Quote:
I was going to get the Vsonic VC02s, a pair of IEMs (and I do not like IEMs), but now that I've seen that there is a pair of $20 headphones for me to buy with a detachable cable and everything else I need to make them portable... I might not get those... Especially because a dark pair of headphones like the 8323s would perfectly compliment the Q701s I'm getting.

The 8323's are just like the Porta Pro's are, totally amazing for the price...

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back