"I Need New 'Cans,'" the Newb Said...
May 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #18 of 68
If 200 is your set budget, just stick to what you have and save up more money until you can swing 300 to 350. Then you will actually have something better. (AKG K701) If 350 is your set budget, just stick to what you have and save up more money until you can swing 500 to 600. Then you will actually have something better. (T70) Thinking that way is not always a good idea. (IMO) It depends on what do you will think about your new headphone. I think you can buy a pair of Sennheiser HD700 and using them thinking this is one of the best headphones ever made, or you can think this are not HD800s. At this moment I'm not at home and the only I have is a laptop and my girlfriend's AKG K314p. And I'm enjoying Diana Krall Live in Paris (Flac) very much. And this earbuds aren't expensive at all.

May 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #19 of 68
Hmmm....
I have decided. Well, sort of. The only two left are the SLYRs and the Sony 7506 (with Zalman). Whichever is better for my purposes shall be purchased. Personally, I'm leaning more towards the SLYR because of the inbuilt mixer that can be used with other sets, but I'm still not sure of how its quality stacks up to the more costly Sony's for gaming...

May 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #20 of 68
V6 and 7506 are really similar. In my opinion they are much more valuable than those Slyrs.

Best Luck!

May 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #23 of 68
Has anyone used the Sony 7506 and/or V6 as well as the SLYRs? Anyone?

MDR-7506 is a very neutral kind of headphone with rolled off bass. The bass is also very light on these. Mids and highs are very clear sounding. Pretty good soundstage and instrument separation. Details are great! Can be a bit bright to me thought XD

Hope this help!
Billson :)

May 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #26 of 68
the MDR-V6s are a very very neutral headphone. If you are into that kind of sound, they'll work great. I have never tried the SLYRs, so I can't help with that. More importantly is soundstage. I don't believe I was an audiophile enough when I heard the V6s to know how the soundstage was, or what that even meant. some say they have a good soundstage, others say they don't. Between the 2, I would pick the V6s, just because its a safer purchase for me, and its not a headset...

May 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #28 of 68
Quote:
Gah, I didn't know walking into this how tough the decision would be....

I have a friend in the exact same situation as you, except he listens to music more often then he games, and I made a list of all the headphones for him:
Creative Aurvana Live! (also known as the CAL!)
The Superlux HD 661
Sony MDR-V6
Monoprice 8323
every sony MDR-XB# (replace # with a random number)(fair warning, these have some of the strongest bass you can buy)

Now, some of those don't have great soundstages, but they should be at least immersive into the game.

And, yeah, audio is a really tough subject when you get into it. You never know what sound works out the best, and it makes me really admire the people behind the headphones' designs.
And so far, I haven't seen any user but MLE to have used the SLYRs. You are going to have a hard time finding someone who has...

Edit: reading through the thread again... Man, we're a silly group of people, aren't we? One person says to go up from $90 to $150. The next person says that if you are going for $150, its better to go for $200. The next person says if you have $200, you should just save up for $300 instead. None of it was being ironic. Guys, we aren't doing it right! XD

May 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #29 of 68
I saw the CALs, and the big issue I see is that they seem to be flimsy/uncomfortable....
Between the Superluxes and the V6, which is more of an gaming pair?
The 8323 is not a set I've heard of as of yet, but, being as new as I am, I don't know...
You guys have some expensive tastes for a $90 budget! :wink:

May 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #30 of 68
Quote:
I saw the CALs, and the big issue I see is that they seem to be flimsy/uncomfortable....
Between the Superluxes and the V6, which is more of an gaming pair?
The 8323 is not a set I've heard of as of yet, but, being as new as I am, I don't know...
You guys have some expensive tastes for a $90 budget!
wink.gif

The 8323 is a $20 pair that most consider to be worth way more then that. I have yet to try the superluxes, but they get tons of recommendations. Most of those on that list I have not actually tried, the list was made through the collective forces of the community (woo teamwork!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back