I need high quality headphones for electronic type music. (Budget around $500)
Aug 17, 2012 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JoshNurse

New Head-Fier
Ok I listen to dubstep and artists like armin van burren. I want to buy great headphones.  Budget is up to $500 or a little more if they are nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:
Ok I listen to dubstep and artists like armin van burren. I want to buy great headphones.  Budget is up to $500 or a little more if they are nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Heya,

I listen to tons of electronic music. 4 subwoofers in the house. I like my bass. More specifically, sub-bass. Big, impactful, feel it in your chest, sub-bass. Headphones just can't do it unfortunately. But some of the ones that can at least drop 30hz with authority worth mentioning that I've enjoyed for electronic, like dub:

Denon D5000
Ultrasone PRO 900 & 2900
Hifiman HE-400

Very best,

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Heya,

I listen to tons of electronic music. 4 subwoofers in the house. I like my bass. More specifically, sub-bass. Big, impactful, feel it in your chest, sub-bass. Headphones just can't do it unfortunately. But some of the ones that can at least drop 30hz with authority worth mentioning that I've enjoyed for electronic, like dub:

Denon D5000
Ultrasone PRO 900 & 2900
Hifiman HE-400

Very best,

Haven't heard Ultrasone line but my vote goes for Hifiman HE-400. They are simply amazing for electronic and liked more than Denon AH-D5000.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 17
How are the HE-400s in the highs? Are they screechy or silky smooth?

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 17
honestly best headphones i ever heard for edm and the entire house umbrella and everything that falls under it are the sony xb1000, the subbass on those things is insane

its good for dubstep especially songs with constant low rumbling bass lines like cookie monsta's ginger pubes but i actually prefer my pro700mk2's and xb500's for dubstep because they have bigger slam and impact, but for every other kind of edm, xb1000's by a mile

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
What's wrong with the standard pads?

They muffle the upper mids and make the treble peaky rather than smooth

Quote:
Will the Hifiman headphones also be good for movies? Also some occasional rap music?

They are great allrounders, impeccable imaging, obviously great controlled bass, smooth mids that are not forward nor recessed.
Quote:
How are the HE-400s in the highs? Are they screechy or silky smooth?

Very smooth and tonally similar to Stax SR007 (tamed lower treble, good mid treble, sparkly upper treble).

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 17
The Ultrasone PRO 900/2900 would be my choice.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
The Ultrasone PRO 900/2900 would be my choice.

I forgot to add, get J$ pads if possible- it makes the headphones a LOT better in my opinion. Everything sounds deeper and richer, and less anemic as it does with the velour pads. I didn't realize this until I tried switching back from j$ pads to velour pads and instantly felt that it was thinner. The j$ pads help some with the mid recession.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
I forgot to add, get J$ pads if possible- it makes the headphones a LOT better in my opinion. Everything sounds deeper and richer, and less anemic as it does with the velour pads. I didn't realize this until I tried switching back from j$ pads to velour pads and instantly felt that it was thinner. The j$ pads help some with the mid recession.

Where can we find/purchase J$ pads for the HE40)? I just ordered mine with the velours. Wasn't aware of such a "J$" pad.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Was this with the 900 or 2900?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back