I Need Help Picking Out A Good Pair Of Headphone`s With Alot Of Bass
Jul 5, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #31 of 41
Ok so should I get a pair of Beats By Dre Studios Or The Ultrasone HFI 580 Now Beats By Dre Studios Are 299 or 350 In Canada where I am now i can get a pair of beats by dre studios for about 200 dollars and i can get the Ultrasone HFI 580 For about 160 , so what do you guys think i should do since i am just looking for something that is mainly going to bounce of my head when listening to rap music .

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #32 of 41
I suggest not making the newbie mistake of buying headphones and disregarding the capability of the associated source and amplification. My guess is your current source and its amplification are relatively poor / mediocre. 

You'd likely prefer headphones that are driven from a better source and with better amplification. So I suggest spending your budget on an adequate $100 - $150 DAC / amp + less expensive headphones. Then use the balance of your budget to buy headphones. Again, I don't suggest going with an Ultrasone for rap / hip hop. 

FWIR...
I would not consider the DT770, that Denon or the Dre Beats (after more reading). In the < $150 range with a good DAC/amp, I'd consider the M50, SRH750DJ, DT440, or a modded RX700. However, for this music my first choices would be the D2000, which you may or may not find sounding OK from your current source / amplification (laptop). 
Quote:
hey 1TIME what about the beyerdynamic DT770 which ones have better bass the DT770 Or The DT440`s , anyways oh another one of my threads they have saying to get the Ultrasone HFI 580 so now i these are what i am do to

1. Ultrasone HFI 580s
2. Shure SRH750DJ
3. Denon AD-HP1000
4. Beyerdynamic DT440 OR DT770

So i have made a big cut in the cans i was thinking of getting i heard the Audio Technica M50 are not that good and that they are over-rated so those are out of the picture

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #33 of 41
For me SoundBlaster Audigy card using kX Audio 3rd party drivers did the trick, will provide distortion free bass despite EQing with crazy amounts like +20dB (...or more, only tested 30dB quick in fear of seeing blown drivers :p). I tested with all my headphones of both open and closed and they all handled +20dB to bass without any issues and I doubt u'd need more. I'm so happy I discovered these drivers, been a fan for over 3 years now.

I have both Gary's PA2V2 and FiiO E5 amps but I use neither of them despite they add a noticable amount bass, because the way they do it affects the rest of the frequencies too much, simply using 10-band EQ with kX Audio drivers provided much better results giving both superclean highs and skullshaking bass. 

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #34 of 41
If you've only go cheap onboard sound at the moment, then I'd recommend you get a USB DAC/amp to go with your headphones.  I haven't heard it myself, but the Fiio E7 has been getting lots of praise lately.  Whatever 'phones you end up getting, you'll want some sort of amp to go with them.  The bass is the first thing to go when a pair of 'phones isn't being driven properly, and that's your number one requirement.

Your best bet is probably the Sony XB700s.  They've got more bass than anything else that's been talked about here, they're not very expensive, and they're good otherwise.  I'm listening to some right now, and I''m quite pleased with them.  The Shure 750 DJs and the AT M50s have less bass but are probably better everywhere else, which probably doesn't matter to you.  You should forget about the Ultrasonnes as well.  Although they are objectively better than the XB700s everywhere but quantity of bass, you don't seem to be looking for performance in those areas.  Your priority isn't tone, timbre, soundstage, detail, imaging, or detail.  Its bass.  (I know, I'm a bit of a bass head too)  Of the headphones I've had a chance to sample I'd say the XB700s offer the best (and most) bass for your dollar.

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #35 of 41

Quote:
Your best bet is probably the Sony XB700s.  They've got more bass than anything else that's been talked about here, they're not very expensive, and they're good otherwise.  I'm listening to some right now, and I''m quite pleased with them.  The Shure 750 DJs and the AT M50s have less bass but are probably better everywhere else, which probably doesn't matter to you.  You should forget about the Ultrasonnes as well.  Although they are objectively better than the XB700s everywhere but quantity of bass, you don't seem to be looking for performance in those areas.  Your priority isn't tone, timbre, soundstage, detail, imaging, or detail.  Its bass.  (I know, I'm a bit of a bass head too)  Of the headphones I've had a chance to sample I'd say the XB700s offer the best (and most) bass for your dollar.

Arguably, I would say the Ultrasone HFI 580 does everything the XB700 does but far better. I had the XB700 for a few months. When I got to try the HFI 580, it was no contest. The Sonys are extremely muddy. The HFI 580 had more/equal to bass impact but without the muddiness in Sonys and with better soundstage. 

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #36 of 41
I think 1 Time and others are absolutely correct as I had the chance to listen to some high end phones and they were no better than the ATH etc with a good amp. Recently I revisited my sony 7506(I think that is correct!) and they sound also quite beautiful though my favourite is still the ATH M50.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Arguably, I would say the Ultrasone HFI 580 does everything the XB700 does but far better. I had the XB700 for a few months. When I got to try the HFI 580, it was no contest. The Sonys are extremely muddy. The HFI 580 had more/equal to bass impact but without the muddiness in Sonys and with better soundstage. 

I can believe that the HFI 580s have better controlled bass, but as for sheer quantity...

unless you consider 400-800hz to be bass, there's no contest.  It doesn't sound muddy at all to my ears.  It's even only a tad muddy straight out of the headphone jack on my dell workstation.  Are we talking about the same pair of headphones?

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #38 of 41

Quote:
I can believe that the HFI 580s have better controlled bass, but as for sheer quantity...

unless you consider 400-800hz to be bass, there's no contest.  It doesn't sound muddy at all to my ears.  It's even only a tad muddy straight out of the headphone jack on my dell workstation.  Are we talking about the same pair of headphones?

Ok. I remember the XB700 being so bassy that I blurred my vision lol  They were still very muddy to me and they had grainy highs. The HFI 580 still has a ridiculous amount of bass fit for a basshead but the bass did not affect the mids/highs has much as the Sonys. The chart does not show how much the low end actually leaks into the rest of the sound. The Sonys sounded worse than Monster Beats Studios.

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #39 of 41

Sorry, that out of the way...

The HD-555s on your original list are bass shy cans. As far as the newer list goes, I have the HFI-680s and the bass response is quite good. It's solid and punchy without being overpowering. From what I gather the 580 is sort of a 680 with less treble. Not having heard the 580 however I can't give a recommendation.

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #40 of 41
I think what you're describing is just low frequency noise in a recording that you don't normally hear when your headphones aren't up 15db@30hz.  I've certainly heard that with the sonys, especially on poorly recorded tracks.  Pump up the lowest slider you can hear on your EQ, and you'll be able to hear that kind of stuff on most any decent headphone.  I can hear the same kind of stuff on HD650s if I max the 60hz slider, so I'm pretty sure its actually information in the track itself, and not an artifact of the driver.  I'm going to have to find a good track to test that with on both sets of 'phones.

Also, if you're listening to electronica or rap or something similar, there usually isn't very much nearby for the bass to trample over anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back