I Need Help Picking Out A Good Pair Of Headphone`s With Alot Of Bass
Jul 4, 2010 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

PrODuCeRR

New Head-Fier
Ok Well i have been looking to buy a good pair of headphones for the past 2 weeks. I have been doing research and I have looked at alot of good pairs in my mind, but honestly I do not know much about what is good and what`s not when it comes to headphones, so anyways i can spend 150 at the max, now what I am looking for is something with really good bass, I want the headphones to bonce off of my head, I am going to be plugging them into my computer and sometime`s my mp3 player but these are mostly going to be for me when I am at home on the computer and I want to blast my Rap Music. I have 5 or 6 pairs of headphones that i have been looking at here they are . Also it does not have to be one of these headphones to suggest for me. these are just what I have came across. These are going to be used to listen to rap , hip-hop .

1.  SENNHEISER HD 555
2.  Audio-Technica ATH-M50.
3.  SONY MDR XB500
4.  Stanton DJ PRO 2000
5.  Shure SRH-750DJ
6.  Shure SRH-440
7.  Denon DN-HP700
8.  Sony MDR V700

Now I am looking for heaphones with really good bass, I am also probably going to get a cheap usb amp to plug into my computer like the creative xmod , do you guys think the usb amp is going to help with sound and bass. ok well what do you guys think would be the best cans for bass and overall comfort , sound , bass , thanks for you help everyone oh yah my budget is 150 and less unless there is a really good pair for 170 that is way better for a pair then 140 ..

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 41
The M50 seem to have carved a nice portion in this market segment.  I think its quite popular for studio applications as well.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 41
Bassheads tend to find headphones lacking in bass until they get something like the Fiio E5 and turn on Bass Boost. This would save soooo many people money just looking for thunderous bass. Seriously. Get an M50/ or XB700 + E5. If that's not enough bass, then you're deaf.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #7 of 41
Bass boost on anything sound bad imo (including the E5).  Just get bassy phones to begin with.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #8 of 41
Typical head-fi response. Bass Boost can be a godsend to bassheads. The E5 works well with some headphones, and bad on others. If you want balance, bass boosting isn't for you. If you want basshead bass, save money and bass boost.

I don't see why EQ-ing gets all the hate it does. I almost NEVER like a flat curve, and prefer emphasis on bass and treble. A V-shaped curve is a basshead's best friend. If you want balance, you're gonna give up monstrous bass. No real way around it without sacrificing some balance.

That being said, the Fiio E7's bass boost level 3 seems to bring up the entire frequency, so mids don't get lost. Something most bass boosting amps don't do.

I'm fairly certain that the majority of bassheads will be happy to sacrifice balance for some monster bass.

I was a basshead fiend at first, and no matter what bassy headphones I was told to try, I found the bass lacking until I used something like the E5. All the bass I could ever want from those bassy cans was suddenly found.

Now that I like balance, i don't like that huge a bass boost, so the E7 is a godsend, as the Bass Boost Level 1 just brings out enough bass to make me happy without it intruding on the rest of the sound.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #9 of 41
I think bass boost really depends on the tech and individual headphones.  I've had bass boost on my portable player with the Sennheiser PX-100 and all it did was distort everything.  Same with some other cans plugged into there.

That said, an increase of bass on my receiver does wonders for my Fostex T50 and DT480.  Accidentally left that on with my DT150s once, and they just kept giving without distortion.  It got a bit silly for me, but it did work.

Either way, EQ may be a better choice than a one-click bass boost.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 41
A straight EQ can work, but like a bass boosting amp, can easily distort. Boosting bass is VERY headphone reliant. If your headphones aren't capable of a juicy low end, it will just distort. But on headphones like the M50, EQ or bass boost = basshead bliss.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #11 of 41

Quote:
Typical head-fi response. Bass Boost can be a godsend to bassheads. The E5 works well with some headphones, and bad on others. If you want balance, bass boosting isn't for you. If you want basshead bass, save money and bass boost.

I don't see why EQ-ing gets all the hate it does. I almost NEVER like a flat curve, and prefer emphasis on bass and treble. A V-shaped curve is a basshead's best friend. If you want balance, you're gonna give up monstrous bass. No real way around it without sacrificing some balance.

That being said, the Fiio E7's bass boost level 3 seems to bring up the entire frequency, so mids don't get lost. Something most bass boosting amps don't do.

I'm fairly certain that the majority of bassheads will be happy to sacrifice balance for some monster bass.

I was a basshead fiend at first, and no matter what bassy headphones I was told to try, I found the bass lacking until I used something like the E5. All the bass I could ever want from those bassy cans was suddenly found.

Now that I like balance, i don't like that huge a bass boost, so the E7 is a godsend, as the Bass Boost Level 1 just brings out enough bass to make me happy without it intruding on the rest of the sound.

Typical head-fi response? All the E5 did for everything I tried it on AD700, MS-1, HD238, SRH440 was made the sound quality worse than just using the phones straight out of my Sansa clip. Its still a nice cheap way to add a headphone out to sources without one though :)  Using it with from a headphone out instead of a line out never seemed to work well for me (though that may be true with any amp). Equalizing always seemed to give better results than any bass boost has since you have control over what your doing, though like you said I guess it depends on the phone how well it works

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #13 of 41
Ok alittle off topic so guys some people are saying the e5 or e7 amp is no good and some people are saying it`s good and one guy said you should get a pair of headphones that already produces alot of bass, ok i like that but which headphones produce alot of bass out of the box i am willing to spend 250 or less i want a pretty good set of can`s anyone know or have tried out the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro`s or Ultrasone HFI 580 And The Ultrasone HFI 780 i like they way these look they do not look to big and i like that just incase i wanted to wear them outside of the house while going somewhere does anyone know if the three ultrasone headphones I listed have really good bass and if they do which one`s produces the most bass or do you straight out think the Audio Technica M50 are better thanks so much for all of your help on me deciding my first good pair of can`s

Jul 4, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 41
i really like the e5. it will give you more loudness and/or boost the bass quite a bit.

as for headphones I think the sony xb700 are very bassy and have good sq. + comfort is awesome with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back