I need help choosing some cans
Oct 22, 2010 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Neek

New Head-Fier
Okay, so I plan to buy some cans in the future. My budget is about $70 to around $130 and probably on-ear headphones. I plan on listening to rock like guns n' roses, metal glam, and some blues/jazz. I have looked at a lot of headphones. So far, I have mainly considered Grado's SR60i, SR80i, and MS-1. I am listening to songs through computer (Realtek HD Audio) and a Zune HD. Other recommendations are welcome.
Edit: Oh yea, right now I'm using Sony MDR CD10 (pretty old)

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
 So far, I have mainly considered Grado's SR60i, SR80i, and MS-1.

All three are good viable options.  All are good for the genres you specified (owned a pair of SR60s for almost 6 years).  Rock, jazz, metal, blues all sound great with either one of those cans.  I'd say start with the SR60 and work your way up the Grado line when you're good and ready, and have more money.  One.

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 8
If you can up your budget another 25$ or so, you can snag the Phiaton MS400 on ebay.  one of the best portables ever made and my personal favorite set currently.

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Are you planning to use these only at home, or on the go too.  If you want to use them outside the house/in noisy environments/in places where there are lots of people who may be bothered by your music, you will probably want to get closed back headphones. 

Oct 23, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Are you planning to use these only at home, or on the go too.  If you want to use them outside the house/in noisy environments/in places where there are lots of people who may be bothered by your music, you will probably want to get closed back headphones. 

I'm going to use this for home, and on the occasion in the car during trips.

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 8
If you want to use these headphones on trips, open headphones like the Grados you mentioned are not going to be a good option as you will hardly be able to hear your music without turning it up extremely high, which will bother the people around you.  In this case you should look for cans that isolate well (closed back headphones).
On the other hand, if you only go on trips occasionally, and can live without them on your trips, live with only using them once in a reasonably quiet setting again, or dealing with the myriad consequences that would come from using them on the trip anyway; you may find that open backed headphones are the direction you want to take. 
There are many people here who strongly believe that open headphones sound better, and more natural since they have a much larger soundstage than most closed headphones.  Of course Grados aren't know for their soundstage, but thats beside the point! 

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 8
I purposely used open back headphones, like my HD485 on some car trips i took just to annoy everyone else who called dibs on the front seat for the trip there, and the trip back lol

EAT THAT X person who called shotgun, now enjoy the sweet sounds of Django Reinhardt for the next 3 hours
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back