I need help choosing new headphones! Please take my poll.
Nov 17, 2010 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

globydudems

New Head-Fier
So I broke my in-ear headphones and I've decided to move on over to over-ears. The problem is, these are going to be my first set and I have no idea where to start. I did some research, mostly from 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-57-portable-headphones-compared-audio-technica-ath-m50-added-11-12
and narrowed it down to a couple. My budget is under $110, but the cheaper the better. Ideally, I'd want a pair around $70. I love hip-hop and rap, so naturally I would like good bass. However, I don't want the lyrics to be drowning in bass. Good mids are just as important since I also listen to rock. Please select a couple from the list I've provided. If you know a set that I didn't include, please let me know. 

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 11
You list minus those JVC's will probably all be good, but the AKG's and the M50's might be your best bet for Hip Hop. I think those Ultrasone's are pretty good for it too but I'm not sure of that model, Ultrasones lower end hardly ever get attention, and I've only seen impressions on it and those have been few and far between.

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 11
what's wrong with JVCs? I'm just curious

Quote:
You list minus those JVC's will probably all be good, but the AKG's and the M50's might be your best bet for Hip Hop. I think those Ultrasone's are pretty good for it too but I'm not sure of that model, Ultrasones lower end hardly ever get attention, and I've only seen impressions on it and those have been few and far between.

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
what's wrong with JVCs? I'm just curious

Quote:

Probably nothing, but I've never heard about them period. They aren't very popular( even if that doesn't mean much) which means impressions out side of Joker are few and far between. this is problematic cause you get his bias.

It's best to take advice from everyone rather then one person cause then what you learn will undo the bias your given. Nothing against Joker but he's only one person and not the last word on how headphones sound, or how good they are.

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 11
From what i read on your post, the M50's are good for ya. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 11
i just bought some Sony XB-500s just as a placeholder since I'm headphoneless at the moment. Best buy has a 30 day return thing so imma hold on to these until I get a replacement pair. However, for 80 bucks, these are pretty amazing. I don't even think I want to replace them, but then again I have nothing to compare them to so I'm clueless. What do you guys think about the XB-500s?

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
i just bought some Sony XB-500s just as a placeholder since I'm headphoneless at the moment. Best buy has a 30 day return thing so imma hold on to these until I get a replacement pair. However, for 80 bucks, these are pretty amazing. I don't even think I want to replace them, but then again I have nothing to compare them to so I'm clueless. What do you guys think about the XB-500s?

I love mine, got mine for $44 on Amazon, they were refurbished. If you like those then stick with them cause for under $60 they are amazing headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back