I need headphones for gaming and metal on a budget
Jun 30, 2011 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

TheBozz

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've been lurking this forum for a while now, trying to make up my mind on what should I go with. In the end I just can't make my mind, so I decided to ask directly. Let me write a list of the stuff I'm looking for in a pair of 'phones, ordered by priority:

1. I need good sound stage and clarity (to be able to locate and identify sounds in FPS games), as well as a balanced sound.
  2. Price should hopefully be around $100, but I could pay more if it's really worth it.
  3. Sound leaking should be low if possible (I participate in LAN parties and may use them for listening in public places.) I dunno if this rules out open-air headphones.
  4. Something comfortable would be nice (I usually use headphones for 1 hour at a time, then take a break.)

I like to listen to Extreme Metal (Melodeath, Thrash, some Post-metal and Doom and whatnot), Rock and Electronica.

With that info, what do you guys think would be best for me? I was leaning towards the ATH-AD700, but I'm concerned about sound leakage.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 24

Quote:
With that info, what do you guys think would be best for me? I was leaning towards the ATH-AD700, but I'm concerned about sound leakage.

The closed version A700's are nice sounding with rock and heavy guitars stuff to my ears. Soundstage is nice too. 

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
Hey guys,

I've been lurking this forum for a while now, trying to make up my mind on what should I go with. In the end I just can't make my mind, so I decided to ask directly. Let me write a list of the stuff I'm looking for in a pair of 'phones, ordered by priority:

1. I need good sound stage and clarity (to be able to locate and identify sounds in FPS games), as well as a balanced sound.
  2. Price should hopefully be around $100, but I could pay more if it's really worth it.
  3. Sound leaking should be low if possible (I participate in LAN parties and may use them for listening in public places.) I dunno if this rules out open-air headphones.
  4. Something comfortable would be nice (I usually use headphones for 1 hour at a time, then take a break.)

I like to listen to Extreme Metal (Melodeath, Thrash, some Post-metal and Doom and whatnot), Rock and Electronica.

Heya,

Well basically you're not going to have the sound stage you want in a closed can. It's that simple. That's why people get the AD700's that are open air instead of the closed version. Sound stage is huge. Closed cans just don't come close (in my opinion, and seemingly others). Yet an open can will leak, big time, not even just a little. You will hear everything and everyone at a LAN party, which will have you turning them up louder, and everyone hearing you too. That's just how it is.

So consider this... you'll have to compromise and make a priority. Either go for sound stage, or go for discretion. There's not really an in-between when it comes to your price range. Even then, virtually closed headphones will still have a limited stage compared to even an entry level open-air headphone. Some may disagree there, but I've found that to be true all the way up to $1000 pair of headphones that are closed but are supposed to have `sound stages'. It's just not so.

So give it some thought. I like open air cans for metal/rock myself. I like closed can sfor electronica. It all comes down to sound stage. Games/Metal/Rock/Movies just sound better to me on an open-air can.

Food for thought.

Very best,

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So consider this... you'll have to compromise and make a priority.

Sigh... I guess you're right. Since I need the phones for public places I'll just go with closed cans for now and buy open-air ones later. Fabio-fi mentioned the A700 as a good compromise between closed and soundstage at my price range... should I check anything else? Keep in mind I can't try before I buy because the selection (and attention quality) in the stores in my country is rather poor, so I'm almost certainly gonna import them.

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 24
Metal really screams for open-air. I'll tell ya comparing ATH-M50's to K701's is like comparing (in terms of brutality) Kenny G to Behexen. You HAVE to get open cans for metal.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 24
I know, but I decided I need something closed first, especially since I'm gonna be using them on LAN Parties where open-air phones would bother other players.

I think I'll go with either Koss PortaPro or Senn HD*something* at first, since I can find them in stores in my country and they aren't as expensive. Later on, I'll save some cash and buy an amp and an AKG K 702. From what I've read, it's well worth the money (and they look so cool!) and will do nicely for both metal and gaming.

That's the problem with being picky in a third world country: if you want quality, you rarely get to try before you buy. Hell, you're lucky if you find something of good quality!

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 24
This was my exact question about 9 months ago. My initial budget was about $100-200 and I REALLY didn't want to go over, but eventually many convinced me to get the D2000, mainly because nothing else really seemed interesting, and it was one of the best decisions I've made. Many months of serious Metal and gaming enjoyment awaited. Though I've moved on a lot farther, I still love them and keep them around, just can't get rid of them. The only real caveat for gaming is the soundstage, i.e it's not large or airy enough to make you feel like you're really outside aurally. You could also get the AD700 like I did, but then you might get addicted like me and find yourself spending way more than you could have imagined. But I wouldn't pick anything else in this price range for both Metal and gaming, at least nothing that doesn't benefit greatly from amping.

Quote:
Metal really screams for open-air. I'll tell ya comparing ATH-M50's to K701's is like comparing (in terms of brutality) Kenny G to Behexen. You HAVE to get open cans for metal.

Completely false. There are closed cans that are great for Metal, and a few that are phenomenal for it.Though I do prefer open cans in the end (and hell, so does anyone who has experienced the best of both), Metal can absolutely work with the right closed can. As for your comparison of the M50 to K701, that makes no sense. The M50 is what I imagine to be a decent to good Metal can, whereas the K701 is something I know is one of the worst choices out there for the genre.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 24
Sorry for the double post, but I may as well ask this here: I can choose from these closed headphones to start, without having to import:

1. Koss PortaPro
  2. Sennheiser HD202, 203, 212
  3. Shure SRH240
  4. AKG K 514 (semi-open; will they leak too much?)

Any thoughts?

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 24
Someone above mentioned the Denon D2000. I haven't tried those, but I do own the D1100, and they are great for rock and electronic music in general.

If you can afford the D2000, go for it. They will most likely be my next upgrade. But i you're looking to spend a bit less. the D1100 will serve you well.

Very comfortable, great soundstage and instrument separation.

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #11 of 24
Of those I've used the PortaPro for gaming.  I liked them better than my DT990s simply because the mids weren't as recessed; worked well for gaming and now they're my primary portable headphone.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 24
Ultrasone is a great option especially for metal. very visceral and has a good sound stage for a closed can.  beyer dt-770 is another good option.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
I know, but I decided I need something closed first, especially since I'm gonna be using them on LAN Parties where open-air phones would bother other players.

If the other players have closed cans, it wouldnt bother them 
dt880smile.png

Also. Another +1 for the ATH-AD700.

biggrin.gif
I need good sound stage and clarity (to be able to locate and identify sounds in FPS games), as well as a balanced sound. 
biggrin.gif
Price should hopefully be around $100, but I could pay more if it's really worth it.
mad.gif
Sound leaking should be low if possible (I participate in LAN parties and may use them for listening in public places.) I dunno if this rules out open-air headphones.
biggrin.gif
Something comfortable would be nice (I usually use headphones for 1 hour at a time, then take a break.)

Basically your only problem is the sound leakage, and I must say that the leakage can get loud at times.
HOWEVER
It will NOT disturb other gamers who have headphones on.

Being a gamer myself, I can confirm this!

You sound as though you're concerned over the sound leaking in your headphones (when using them in public)
Unless you're in an EXTREMELY quiet environment (e.g. Library, Lecture hall, Train, Taxi etc etc) It won't be heard.

Even if it IS heard in a quiet environment.... No answer, 
but consider this:

Wouldn't you be happier knowing that you've made a worthy purchase (albeit sacrificing some convenience)
over knowing that you made an inferior purchase (of the same price range) to maintain that very same convenience?

Hope I've helped!

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
If the other players have closed cans, it wouldnt bother them 
dt880smile.png

Also. Another +1 for the ATH-AD700.

biggrin.gif
I need good sound stage and clarity (to be able to locate and identify sounds in FPS games), as well as a balanced sound. 
biggrin.gif
Price should hopefully be around $100, but I could pay more if it's really worth it.
mad.gif
Sound leaking should be low if possible (I participate in LAN parties and may use them for listening in public places.) I dunno if this rules out open-air headphones.
biggrin.gif
Something comfortable would be nice (I usually use headphones for 1 hour at a time, then take a break.)

Basically your only problem is the sound leakage, and I must say that the leakage can get loud at times.
HOWEVER
It will NOT disturb other gamers who have headphones on.

Being a gamer myself, I can confirm this!

You sound as though you're concerned over the sound leaking in your headphones (when using them in public)
Unless you're in an EXTREMELY quiet environment (e.g. Library, Lecture hall, Train, Taxi etc etc) It won't be heard.

Even if it IS heard in a quiet environment.... No answer, 
but consider this:

Wouldn't you be happier knowing that you've made a worthy purchase (albeit sacrificing some convenience)
over knowing that you made an inferior purchase (of the same price range) to maintain that very same convenience?

Hope I've helped!

Good point. What's your opinion (or anyone else's, for that matter): should I get the AD700 right away or should I save some more and get the K 702?

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 24
Unfortunately I can't give an unbiased opinion here :)

The ATH-AD700's were my very first stepping stone into the audiophile realm.

At first, I regretted spending my 170$ AUD on the headphones. Being young, I was expecting the quality I had heard in the audiophile shops (where I tested products that were worth well over 1000$).

But it was my very first headphone and I stuck with them.

After about a month I purchased the ATH-CK100's for roughly 500$ AUD. These sounded roughly the same as my AD700's.

So the story continues where I took my AD700's all over the place - On train rides, in LANS, My desktop etc etc (I can attest to the build quality)

I then managed to get my hands on a pair of HD800's and the coveted LCD-2's (for an extended period of testing).

But funnily enough, I preferred the AD700's over them. I think I just got too attached to my first pair of phones though.

HOWEVER, I must say that the COMFORT, BUILD QUALITY and SOUND QUALITY make the AD700's a much loved pair of cans universally.

I'm assuming that your not too much into the audiophilia market as you are the gaming. But if you were, I would definitely say to go with the AD700's - If only to experience why such a large proportion of head fiers recommend them as entry level headphones. 

Also as a side note, I liked the K702's. But I had the AD700's and didn't think the price difference was worth the upgrade. What I'm saying is: A dollar saved is a dollar earned.

If you foresee yourself getting into the audiophile market - BUY THE AD700's

If not.

It's your choice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back