I LOVE my Beyerdynamic DT770/80 Pro's...what next?
Dec 2, 2010 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Nubster

100+ Head-Fier
I know it's a very subjective question but it's Christmas time and I need to give my g/f a wish list...so why not some new cans.

Right now the only thing I have is a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770/80 Pro's off a Little Dot 1+ with NOS Sylvania GB-408A tubes all hooked up to a Keces DA-151 D/A converter. I love the setup but have never had the chance to compare to anything else. There are no home audio stores anywhere near me so I cannot go out and sample anything else...I have to go 100% by recommendations and reviews. I did have a pair of Alessandro MS-1 that I thought sounded fantastic but were too bright. Painfully so. I listen to a mixed bag of stuff, everything except rap and country. I love acoustic music, classic rock of the 60's, 70's, and 80's...industrial metal, I don't know...I like and listen to a lot of stuff. 

So basically the amp and D/A converter will be staying the same right now so I need headphones that will pair well with them. Open or closed...doesn't matter. I prefer over the ear to on the ear but again...not a deal breaker. Budget is a concern...gotta keep it under $200 new or used. I am not opposed to trying Grados/Alessandro's again if I can do something to tame the highs a bit. Can anyone point my a some direction? Thanks a bunch for the help.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 18
Well it's hard to tell you since you've only tried those ones so we have like absolutely no idea what kind of sound you prefer? Laid-back or warm, smooth mids vs bright highs? etc. DT770 Pro/80 are slightly on the laid-back side with quite bright but not overly bright highs and quite recessed mids in this price category. Denon D2000 are somewhat similar sounding around $200, if it's an upgrade to you I don't know though, it's probably an upgrade regarding the mid frequencies at least, bass is probably slightly less boomy than on DT770 Pro/80.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 18
I like warm sound with some bass. I like the bass in the 770's...highs...I don't think are too bright at all. The MS-1's were BRIGHT !!!! I think that I am looking for the mids of the MS-1's, bass of the 770's, and slightly warmer but more powerful highs than I am getting from the 770's. Again...I am very limited in my experience so it is really hard for me to know what I like, what I feel like I am missing, or how to even describe what I like, dislike, want, don't want. But thanks for the help so far...I appreciate it.

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 18
I am very excited to find out today that there is a new place not too far from me that sells higher end stereo gear. It's just a guy that has a passion for it and was frustrated at the lack of anything in the area. He works from his home and by appointment only so that all his time can be dedicated to the person visiting. He has a bunch of stuff on hand to try including the full line of Grado, some AKG stuff, and some Sennheiser, as well as Etymotic Research and Shure. So I'll be heading in on Tuesday with my Beyerdynamics, amp, some CD's, and some excited ears. He also carries Heed amps...not sure what else.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 18
Can anyone suggest a few songs to take that will help me get a good feel for the headphones I will be trying? Of course I'll be taking a handful of my personal CD's or I'll put everything on a thumbdrive, but I would be willing to download a few things too even if it is outside of what I would normally listen to. Just some stuff that will really give a good test of the headphones I'll be testing out.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 18
That's an option. I read great things about them and I already love my current Beyers. I do want to wait until I head in the the place I was talking about on Tuesday just to see what this guy has to offer. I am excited to try the stuff he has since I have never been able to try anything other than the Beyers I own and the Alessandro MS-1's I used to own.

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 18
I tried several different ones some of them more than twice expensive ones but none were able to beat DT 990 Pro for me yet but i want to try DT 880 Premium and ATH-A900 to complete my investigation

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
With proper amp and dac, I think it's very hard to beat 770/80 for under $200. Even D2000 isn't at higher class than 770/80, well, at least for me :)

Depends on taste but yea they aren't bad with proper amping/dac if you like slightly laid-back sound with bright/clear highs coupled with strong deep bass but if you like me prefer a warm sound signature with smoother highs and less recessed mids and punchier bass then even the 3x cheaper XB500 beats it. I returned my DT770 Pro/80 after about a week (to give it some burn-in time). This is why I decided to add the line to my sig.

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 18
I prefer the XB700s over the DT770 Pro 80s.  More bass and more natural mids with slightly shimmery highs.  I don't own the I+, but I tried my XB700s with one at a meet and it was a GREAT combination.  Much better than my Indeed or Maverick D1 with the XBs.

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 18
That's what I am starting to miss...the mids. I want more pronounced mids. If I could find something that keeps the highs and bass of the 770/80's but give better mids I would be in heaven. I am sure there are cans out there that fit the bill but I am sure they are mucho $$$ as well. I am trying to stay between $200-300...closer to $200 the better.

Quote:
Quote:
With proper amp and dac, I think it's very hard to beat 770/80 for under $200. Even D2000 isn't at higher class than 770/80, well, at least for me :)

Depends on taste but yea they aren't bad with proper amping/dac if you like slightly laid-back sound with bright/clear highs coupled with strong deep bass but if you like me prefer a warm sound signature with smoother highs and less recessed mids and punchier bass then even the 3x cheaper XB500 beats it. I returned my DT770 Pro/80 after about a week (to give it some burn-in time). This is why I decided to add the line to my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back