I kinda regret picking up hd600s
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

disgruntleddave

100+ Head-Fier
Firstly, I haven't gotten an amp yet. Am listening to them through a headphone output in my computer speakers. At least I have a slighlty better than super crappy sound card, instead of the one that's on board.

I listen to a lot of music at work, and I'm not bringing those big honkers here because they would disturb everyone else. I have a zune and (woefully) unamped re0s. I regret getting the 600s because music has suddenly become so unsatisfying to listen to at work. The 600s, even unamped (this will soon be addressed) make me look and grimace at my zune and re0s, and I really can't afford to buy a dac and portable amp right now.

Sadness.

But yeah. My first taste of good quality headphones and it's ruined everything else for me.

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 8
You should look into balanced armature IEMs.  Taking a miniature dynamic driver and cramming the sound through a little tube gets the job done but you lose so much in the process.  From what I can tell BA designs don't suffer all of the pitfalls.  Just take a look at the IEM market. Pretty much anything of mid to high range is using BAs, so it seems that manufacturers and consumers are both in agreement that they offer better performance.  
   Glad you like the HD600.  It's really a great headphone and has been for years.  Just out of curiosity what PC speaker system are you driving them with?  I have a Logitech Z2300 and I run my cans from its wired remotes hp jack sometimes.  Honestly I think it drives my cans as well as anything I've ever heard.  I really should get a quality DAC for my PC.

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 8
Maybe when I have more money I'll look into that.

I have Z-2300s as well. They are certainly serving me well.

Quote:
You should look into balanced armature IEMs.  Taking a miniature dynamic driver and cramming the sound through a little tube gets the job done but you lose so much in the process.  From what I can tell BA designs don't suffer all of the pitfalls.  Just take a look at the IEM market. Pretty much anything of mid to high range is using BAs, so it seems that manufacturers and consumers are both in agreement that they offer better performance.  
   Glad you like the HD600.  It's really a great headphone and has been for years.  Just out of curiosity what PC speaker system are you driving them with?  I have a Logitech Z2300 and I run my cans from its wired remotes hp jack sometimes.  Honestly I think it drives my cans as well as anything I've ever heard.  I really should get a quality DAC for my PC.

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 8
Heh I have a pair of 600s on the way to me in the mail right now. My first truly good headphones as well. When I first read the topic title, I thought you meant you were unhappy with the sound of the 600s. Glad to hear it was the opposite!

My friend that I'm staying with at the moment just got his 600s in last week and I'm in the same boat as you now. Now that I've heard his 600s, I hate listening to my Denon noise cancelling headphones that I've been using for the last 6 months or so. The level of sound quality in the 600s is no comparison to the Denons, they sound so much better. They can't get here fast enough!

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 8
:)

Try finding a good amp for the HD-600. Maybe one of those new Dynalos - it's a sensational circuit and really powers the HD-600 well.

Hate to say this, but you really haven't "heard" the HD-600 yet. It gets better. :evil: Sorry about your wallet. :veryevil:

At work, maybe pick up a Sony MDR-V6. Not as good as the HD-600, but much better than your average headphone and the price isn't too bad. Plus they're closed and won't bother anyone.

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 8
Glad to see that everyone in this thread are happy with their HD 600. The topic title sure caught my attention. 
normal_smile .gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 23, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 8
Maybe for work you can add a portable amp and the Shure 840. I think the 840 is a pretty good headphone. Not as good as what the HD600 will be when you amp it, but should satisfy.

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 8
I have no desire to add another set of headphones right now. I'm quite content with the portability and comfort of my re0s. They'll be better eventually when I amp them.

I'll report back when I get an amp for the hd600s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back