I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Apr 4, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #3,346 of 3,761
Hi,

Hadn't logged in for a while, busy enjoying the X. So now that we have LODs for Sony X. Is it worth to get an Amp?. I am still waffling as it sounds so good without it already. Does it make a difference. Also does LOD bypass s master digital amp? . I was leaning towards ALO dock and Pico slim but waiting for someone to push me either way ..

PC

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #3,347 of 3,761
I've not tested the X's line out, but the A845 has a pretty bad line out. The A828 is better, but overall, Sony's line out isn't very good. It rolls off the highs, may be too weak. It does get rid of hiss from the amp though (thank you god) and clicking artefacts from the HPO.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #3,348 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last bit of update, a month after purchase.

Long story short, after testing the X's sound quality using wav files vs my standalone CD/MD deck (MXD-D400, granted not the world's best CD player, but good nonetheless and I also tested a portable CD player ; nothing fantastic, a Sony D-E201) and noticing that the Sony X had a more resolved bass and especially better highs, I decided to strictly use the X with wav files from now on. They sound exceptional. Been going through a lot of "classic" albums and I'm hearing lots more details then I remembered. Of course, time can do its effects on the ears, and I didn't have the same headphones back then either!

I believe the only word I can think to describe the sound is "crisp".

Anyway, I figured, if I paid THAT much to have that kind of sound quality, why not go all the way and do wavs?
smily_headphones1.gif
Very practical for all the legal lossless albums I acquired too, just need to convert to wav!

I might only be able to fit around 30-40 albums in this way, but that's more then enough for me.

Here's a pic :

athes7sonyx1060.jpg

atsmile.gif

well said. For sony X, better to go with wav to enjoy the best.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #3,352 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes you say that? I hope it's true as the X will become a classic.
wink.gif

1. They have just become out of stock virtually everywhere online and if you go to a Sony Centre store you will also be told they have been discontinued.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #3,353 of 3,761
Then bring on the new 64GB Sony DAP's,.................or is Sony intentionally shooting themselves in the friggin' foot?!?!?!?!

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #3,354 of 3,761
Apr 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #3,356 of 3,761
I just wonder if in the bigger picture sales wise the X has not really done as expected against Apple with the Touch and whether this will push Sony into overhauling the way the next X or touchscreen model will be as they will want to cut into that share of the marker Apple now dominate and for Sony you think with the exception of the SQ department the rest of the player will have to be flawless from the word go next time out to stand any chance of them making the next model an acclaimed hit.

Thus makes me wonder if this is why it is harder to find the current X model and if production has been slowed down as they turn to the touch screen model whenever that will be... can only guess it needs to be sooner rather than later, perhaps 3Q of 2010?

Ideally i think Sony should make a slightly bigger touch screen version to take on the touch so it can have a better browser experience and do all the apps stuff etc etc and then make a version just solely as a Walkman without all the Touch wannabe gizmo's and keep it to it's current size approx of the X.

Just my personal opinion from experience of how Sony operate with their product lines.

The X does have a special place in my heart and is a special player taken solely from just a Walkman perspective.

Long live the "X"
icon10.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #3,357 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thus makes me wonder if this is why it is harder to find the current X model and if production has been slowed down as they turn to the touch screen model whenever that will be... can only guess it needs to be sooner rather than later, perhaps 3Q of 2010?

Their models only seem to stay in circulation for a few months and then they're dumped in favour of the next one. My NWS706 virtually disappeared from circulation after about six months, and my A808 was obsolete pretty fast (almost as soon as they bought the 818 out a few months after).

I'm actually surprised the X has been going for so long, and even more surprised it was given a firmware update. But they must have been on crack if they really thought it could compete with the Touch browsing experience. I mean, didn't anyone at Sony try the browser before letting it loose on the unsuspecting public? Or... are they still typing in the URL...
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

The X does have a special place in my heart and is a special player taken solely from just a Walkman perspective.

Yes, it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #3,358 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their models only seem to stay in circulation for a few months and then they're dumped in favour of the next one. My NWS706 virtually disappeared from circulation after about six months, and my A808 was obsolete pretty fast (almost as soon as they bought the 818 out a few months after).

I'm actually surprised the X has been going for so long, and even more surprised it was given a firmware update. But they must have been on crack if they really thought it could compete with the Touch browsing experience. I mean, didn't anyone at Sony try the browser before letting it loose on the unsuspecting public? Or... are they still typing in the URL...
rolleyes.gif

Yes, it is
smily_headphones1.gif

I remember when it used to be more like a year before the current model was superseded when they where the HDD players. It does seem more frequent since the flash players have been on the scene, maybe it has been Sony trying to and failing every time to find that magic ingredient that has the Ipod killer about it and think they are maybe overdoing it with rushing out new models in their quest to keep up and is affecting a consistency in the product range so it is not such a recognizable brand to the Joe public out there with them keep changing the style and models every five minutes in vain they will find that "Eureka" moment that hooks an extra 30 million people to fall in love with it.

I can imagine Sony current crop of R&D must be scratching their heads though thinking how do we stop that Apple train that is hurtling like a Japanese bullet train racking up astronomical global sales with it's vast
i -Tunes store library and have to admit it how can Sony top the apps system Apple have devised, would be great to see Sony succeed with their own version in some way?

A lot of people who have purchased the Apple product range in Ipods (for the exception of headfiers who take their sound more seriously of course!) have brought it as it was the latest design technology to be seen with (look at me with my shiny player with the Apple logo on it) as they are happy with only 128 ripped songs and still use the supplied ipod iems and are happy with them!

It does comes down to really good marketing/branding and making something desirable which looks like Apple seem to have done better with the Apps and i-tunes features than Sony for the last five years have missed out on in the entrepreneurial inventiveness somewhere that painfully the sales figures will reflect.

I am sure though after that very pessimistic rant about corporate marketing of products i still feel Sony are taking the steps in the right direction, just happens to be two forwards and one back at times from where i am sitting.

Wouldn't it be great if Sony could make the perfect all round dap to the Ipod that dotted all the "i's" and crossed the "t's" as that would be a great kick ass machine.

Granted Sony do what they primarily set out to do which is make a good sounding "Walkman" for on the go which they have always done (for the most part) and after trying other brands in between whether it during their cassette era or the Minidisc (Sony only with MD) era and then HDD drive's and now the current flash storage players i have come back to a Sony player eventually and am happy as larry as i did purchase the X for the music and it's highly regarded SQ and the rest was a bonus albeit not executed to well in places, but it is the "if only" Sony could get ahead of the bell curve again a recapture it's dominance as it once had then we would truly have a perfect all round machine by todays standards on our hands perhaps?...

Maybe they are trying to still type in that URL on the browser over tea & biscuits in the canteen?
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #3,359 of 3,761
think i may have to sell my x
frown.gif
i have used up all the space....think i might have to get an ipod classic 160gb; I suppose the bonus being that I will have an excuse to get an amp, and I will be able to store all my music in lossless...still i really don't want to sell it...how much do you guys think I'll get on ebay (uk)?

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #3,360 of 3,761
Frankly I doubt sony are looking for an "ipod killer" - it doesn't exist :p

And andy, what size is your x - that factors into the price
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back